Ticklish neck but no-one is tickling me

Posted , 40 users are following.

I know this sounds like a crazy condition but I'm dying to know why it happens. I have found NO ONE who has this condition and absolutely no help online.

I'm extremely ticklish on my neck to where if someone tickles my neck or lightly touches it, or even if anything brushes up against it, I go into flail mode and practically punch the perpetrator. I know that is not totally abnormal. It's what happens afterwards that is.

Usually the same night as being tickled (but not every time) I will go to sleep fine but wake up in a ticklish fit every few minutes or even a few seconds. This continues all night or at least until I wake for an hour or two. It probably doesn't happen but every few months when someone or something tickles or touches my neck (or even if I dream it). Each fit (or whatever it is) lasts a fraction of a second but, like I said, it repeats over and over again all night. I have had this as long as I can remember and refer to it as "tickle neck". My mother has an extremely sensitive neck but has none of the night issues.

Background info:

I am a 41 year old female in good health. I have no mental health issues. I was diagnosed with epilepsy 12 years or so ago because of 2 grand mals within a year. I am on lamotrigine and have only possible auras every couple months since then. My neurologist looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell him the tickle neck problem and smiles a little condescendingly saying he does not think think it is related at all to my seizures. Besides, I have had these as long as I can remember, way before the grand mals. 

Is there a name for this condition? Why does no one seem to have this same problem? It is so debilitating and draining the nights I have it, that it often brings me to tears. Any way to cure it? 😓

Thank you!

Leslie Ann

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Do you have an arched back or do you notice that you bend your neck quit a lot? try keeping a straight posture and sleeping sideways with straight posture of your neck and try to see if that helps and if yes to my first question then this could be the problem hope this helps!

• Posted

hi! i've actually been experiencing the same thing. it often happens at night right when i'm about to go to sleep. i didn't know what was triggering it. for a little i thought i was being haunted and a ghost was tickling my neck. does anyone have any idea what it could mean?

• Posted

I have no idea what it's called. I'm a healthy 18 year old with no history of health problems, no allergies etc.

Whenever I have dreams and someone 'touches' my neck in the dream, my neck starts tingling in a ticklish (almost sensual???) manner. If I wake up when this occurs, the sensation lingers and gradually disappears.

I think in my case it's just my body responding to something my brain thinks is happening.

• Posted

OMG! I am so glad i found your post. I have always had a sensitive neck but its gotten ridiculous since the pandemic. The mask is expremely ticklish and i have to cover my neck THE WHOLE TIME with my hand. Its so annoying i dont know what to do. I have always been sensitive to air even. But its never been this bad. With the mask on i cant go for 5 seconds without covering my neck with my hand so the mask doesnt touch my neck.

I am sorry I dont have a solution to your problem. But I was just glad to know that someone gets it

• Posted

I am a 68 year old male. I also have had this as long as I can remember. I was awoken tonight at about 3am . it comes and goes. sometimes as much as 10 years until I have another experience. Sometimes afew weeks apart. it has come back in the last year or so. was a few years since last episode. I worry it my set in and not go away haha. Hopefully that never happens. I have never researched before, but ran across this at 4am when it stayed so long. Usually goes in a few minutes.Paul b

• Posted

I hate for you that you have had it so long! There is nothing fun about it! Yeah, mine will sometimes be gone for a year or more then come back! Not sure it will ever go away for good!

• Edited

He Leslie, I have the exact same thing I'm so happy I've found others who go through the same. mine seems to happen every 3-4 months. They always start with the dream where I feel like I'm being held down and tickled then I wake up and can still feel it, it usually lasts half a day or so but the longest it lasted was for 2 whole days which was absolute he'll.

• Posted

Mines just wakes me up i never have a dream or anything i just wake up to my neck feeling like its being tickled. It has happened since i was younger. I never timed how often it happens i will have to keep track this time.

• Posted

I am very late but i experience the same thing i really wish i knew what it was it just comes every now and then. But i definitely would like to know what it is, if you have figured anything more about it since then can you let me know?

Thank you.

• Posted

Haven't figured anything out but I always thought I was the only one who has it and it sure feels good that something I posted years ago is still being found by people who have it too! I say at least that is a win!

• Posted

hi, I tried to search my condition and got to your post. I have almost the same condition. even reading about the ticklish could make my neck tickled, so I have to pinch my neck till it hurts. I can't wear a narrow neck shirt and even a turtleneck . I can't sleep fast because I have to find a less tickled neck position.

So far I just called this condition as an OCD. I can't find any medical condition that relate to this.

please let me know if you find out more about your condition

• Posted

It's funny, the most I have learned about "tickle-neck" is from responses to my posts! It is somewhat comforting to know I’m not alone! I only decided to write the post because I searched and searched and never found anything . Thank you for your note!

• Posted

I have a somewhat similar experience, but it seems mine is a bit worse. First off, I only have a sensitive neck now as a result of it, never was a problem before it started. but once it did if people brushed against me or air hut it quickly i would just immediately get chills. But mine started in 7th grade when i was riding the bus to school. It feels like someone is just tickling the front of my neck without stopping and will just stay feeling like that for minutes. I started to cope my grabbing my shirt collar and pulling it away from my neck to my make sure it wont touch it which helps sometimes, other times it doesn't. Its always been annoying while trying to sleep but recently its gotten to the point that I cant get the feeling to go away for hours.

• Posted

bruh omg this is exactly what happens to me then i usually grab my collar from touching my neck while in the car and also try to turn away from the AC, its always so annoying. Still can't believe I can't find a solution for this on the internet .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.