Tinnitus

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a heart attack 4 years ago and take among other drugs Bisoporol.

I have developed Tinnitus in both ears, normal whistle and bells in one ear and pulsative in the other.

I decided to night to just check side effects of the drug, i only take 1.25 but it does say that it can cause ringing in the ears.

I have had this condition for a few years and never connected the two till tonight, has anyone else suffered the same please.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suffered from tinnitus whilst taking bisoprolol. I did not think it was the medication until I realised that all my side effects from this medication were mentioned on this site.   I had trouble sleeping as the noises in my right ear were so bad. I had the tinnitus on and off for weeks until I was then prescribed atenolol. Foolishly I did not attribute this to the bisoprolol, nor did I think the other side effects were a consequence of this drug. 

It took 6 years of wrangling with beta-blockers and eventually coming off them. 

I had no tinnitus after the bisoprolol and have had no reoccurrence of that problem.

weaning off the beta blockers was very difficult,.it took months of withdrawal symptoms to subside. I’m now taking rivaroxiban to prevent stroke and 2.5 mg rampril. 

I hope that this post helps you with your suspicions of the bisoprolol. I know it caused me to suffer tinnitus. ...as well as other horrible side effects. Trouble is trying to get the doctor to believe you! 

• Posted

I had one cardiologist getting quite irate on his insistence that my multiple symptoms I picked up from Bisoprolol  must just be a coincidence I got them the same day and that remain ten months now since last taking beta blockers.

His insistence was that Bisoprolol comes out of your system in 12 hours! 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I will make a point on going to the Gp asap.

I had visions of having this for the rest of my life.

• Posted

I can only speak of my experience of bisoprolol ...awful side effects. Then put on atenolol...again,awful side effects! Cardiologist refused to accept my concerns and gave me no info as to why I was having problems with these betablockers. He didn’t want to listen..gave me digoxin..which I refused to take. 

I’m no expert..but I know that after 6 years of betablockers that it was a nightmare weaning off them. I feel a whole lot better now. These Meds were not for me! They may work for others. 

• Posted

Many thanks philip. Seems daft if it comes out of your system in 12 hours, why do they tell you to take one every 24 hours... food for thought
    • Posted

How I wish I had thought of that logic at the time!

I did get a little justice though when he had also insisted that the feelings I was getting as if my breath was suddenly snatched away, was absolutely nothing to do with my heart, so I told him that every time I got it the previous day, I had instructed my Reveal Linq heart monitor to record it, sure enough, every time I got that feeling, my heart had had a huge ectopic beat. No apology given.

The most shocking thing was that when I attributed my breathlessness to Bisoprolol, as it only came from the day I took it, he said, "its nothing to do with Bisoprolol, see your GP, maybe you've got lung cancer".

• Posted

Thank you all.

Sometimes i think these people dont realise that they are dealing woth our quality of life for many years to come... one day, when they are old ....

• Posted

Lung cancer! Appalling thing to say. 

The cardiologist who dismissed my bisoprolol side effects then prescribed dioxin. When asked if was ok to go on holiday to France, he replied " I wouldn't advise it" when I asked why, " because we know all about you and treat you better" ! I was distraught. I checked the digoxin and found out that when taking it, you need to be monitored! This was the real reason for not taking my holiday. Other stuff I read on digoxin was making me very wary. I didn't take it, saw my GP and told him my decision. That was 4 years ago.

Your cardiologist...I'm dumb struck..

• Posted

IT COMES OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM IN 12 HOURS BUT THEN YOUR REGIMEN SAYS "TAKE IT DAILY"  ....DING... ???  thats why it comes never out of your system   !!!!   can you possibly get another cardiologist...?? ...  I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYONE SAYING SUCH

AN ILLOGICAL THING.........HE HAS NOT DONE MUCH OF HIS REQUIRED READINGS...

• Posted

exactly the same is happening with me. what did you do? I'm afraid if i stop taking my medicines something will happen to me. any alternative you used?

• Posted

i know how you feel ..its a big decision to cut taking prescription drugs.. im sure that youve read my posts.. i stopped taking bisoprolol ..so many side effects..tinnitus being one of them..though my gp and the cardilogist would not recognise my concerns.. i cut the biso .. ive had no replacement prescriptions.. i still have trouble with the atrial fibrilliation.. and blood pressure , constantly feeling my heart beat..anxious feeling.. i take 2.5 rampril and rivaroxiban anto coagulant.. but no beta blocker.. its a scary thing to stop a prescription.. i decided to do it cos the side effects were so bad.. im not sure if this helps.. i dont have any medical background.. but for me .. i dont have tinnitus .. now.. hope you get some help.. take care.. happy new year.. hope its better than the last one for all of us..

• Posted

I had tinnitus in my left ear but it has increased since I,ve been taking Bisoprolol, also now I can hear it inside my head over day noise and television.   I feel terrible on this drug, it has made my ectopics worse, my breathing and with all these things I feel depressed.    
    • Posted

I JUST READ THIS ON ECTOPICS....

< < https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001100.htm  >>

I HATE TO SAY THIS AGAIN ...BUT MY INSURANCE-CHANGE REQUIRED ME TO SEE OTHER DOCTORS AND I AM GLAD I DID THAT... I FEEL MORE CONFIDENT ABOUT DIAGNOSIS AND RETESTS AND TREATMENT OF MY CONDITION NOW... AT 82 NOW, IT WAS TIME TO RECHECK MY CONDITION SINCE MY- M.I. - HEART ATTACK IN 1987.... CHECK WITH YOU INSURANCE ...TELL THEM YOU NEED A RECHECK OR 2ND OPINION AND THEY SHOULD HELP YOU FIND A CARDIOLOGIST WITH WHOM THEY ARE IN CONTRACT..... NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE... THEN TELL HIM/HER ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS WITH BISO... APART FROM THE CRICKETS IN MY EARS AND THE DIZZYNESS, IT HAS NEVER MADE ME FEEL WORSE... THAT IS A GOOD REASON TO FIND A 2ND OPINION....!!!!

I WISH YOU WELL !!!

• Posted

Yes, I too can back that one.

I didn’t connect it because I already had slight tinnitus it’s been increasingly worse . I Had a heartattack 12 months ago and have been on Bisoprolol ever since 

• Posted

so sorry to hear of your MI .... had one light one in 87... and i have the ear ringing problems also from BISOPROLOL....  Don't know if you are aware that Biso... has a page full of side effects, (S.E.)   and once you take ANOTHER medICATION . with similar S.E.s you can just about bet you will get that S.E. ...  for example  statin meds !!! 

I was on Lipitor,  later changed to Simvastatin... has ear-ringing + dizzyness and more  as does Biso...  then i got  muscle pain also from the statins... so i am now trying to see if niacin, regular...not the flush-reduced version-which does not work on cholesterol...  can be incorporated into my diet and medicine regimen,.... after my broken arm heals... i live in the middle of US WHERE ICE MELTS ONE DAY NEXT DAY IT FREEZES AND SNOWS OVER IT ..SO I FELL... 

( sorry,  NOW I AM STAYING WITH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS...MAKES ONE-HANDED TYPING EASIER....)) 

SO THERE... I SUGGEST  YOU CHECK ONLINE ALL YOUR MEDS AND VITS AND EVEN ASPIRIN... TYLENOL ... ANY OVER THE COUNTER ITEMS YOU TAKE  FOR SIDE EFFECTS.... AND MAKE YOURSELF A CHART... DISCUSS WITH PHARMACIST 1ST   !!!    ... THEN SHOW DOCTOR ALL THE S.E.s YOU HAVE CHARTED FOR ALL MEDS YOU TAKE AND SEE IF HE CAN GET YOU OFF BISO ONTO ANOTHER MED... WGICH DEPENDS ON YOUR PARTICULAR SYMPTOMOLOGY.... 

FOR EXAMPLE AFTER BLADDER SURGERY I WAS ADVISED TO TAKE CALCIUM POLYCARBOPHiL 625 MG - IS AN "OVER THE COUNTER"...NOT Rx... WHICH WORKS FOR ME, BUT HAS TO BE TAKEN 2 HRS AWAY FROM ANY ANTI - OR  - PROBIOTIC  !!!  BUT LUCKILY HAS NO S.E.s AS DOES BISO...  

YOU SAID "... i only take 1.25 ????....  I  ASSUME YOU MEANT MILLIGRAMS ???

I TAKE 5MG  A DAY SOME TIMES DURING STRESS...SUCH AS METAL PLATE

REPAIR ARM-SURGERY I HAVE TO TAKE 10 MG...  IF YOU ARE ON SUCH LOW DOSE YOU ARE LUCKY... YOU GET ONLY LITTLE OF THE DIURETIC IN IT WHICH HAS A HABIT OF CAUSING YOUR KIDNEYS TO DECREASE FUNKTION AFTER TAKING BISO FOR A LONG TIME & YOU WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE WITH A DIURETIC IF BISO IS EVER STOPPED OR YOU START TO BLOW UP LIKE BALLOON AS KIDNEYS WON'T WORK WELL WITHOUT THE DIURETIC THEY ARE USED TO...  ANYMORE...THEY ADJUST TO THE DIURETIC AND WORK LESS WELL WITHOUT IT , BUT YOU ARE ON VERY LOW DOSE !!!!...

........I AM 82 AND AM STUCK ON BISO FOR THE REST OF MT LIFE FOR THAT REASON ALONE...........

AS FAR AS THE WHISTLES AND BELLS GO.... I WAS FINALLY SENT TO AN EARDOC...WHO CHECKED ALL POSSIBLE REASONS WITH TESTS.... PUT ME ON A WALGREENS-PHARMACY... EAR-HEALTH-PLUS... DIETARY SUPPLEMENT... "NOT Rx"... HAS NOT HELPED,,, BECAUSE IT IS NOT AN EAR PROBLEM ...IT IS THE BISO ... SIDE EFFECT PROBLEM... IF YOU COULD STOP THAT  ...YOUR EARS MIGHT GET NORMAL AGAIN...  I HAVE GIVEN UP AND JUST LEARNED TO LIVE WITH THE CRICKETS..... AS BISO IS WHAT I NEED FOR THE HEART... AND AT MY DOSE REGIMEN I HAVE CRICKETS CHIRPING IN MY EARS.... EVERY WAKING MOMENT...

I READ BELOW WHERE A PATIENT GOT OFF BISO AND WENT TO

(PROPER SPELLING) = rivaroxaban to prevent stroke and 2.5 mg ramipril.

SINCE YOU ARE ON SUCH A LOW DOSE OF BISO... SEE IF YOUR DOC CAN AGREE TO TRY OTHER BETA-BLOCKERS OR  OTHER TYPES OF MEDS.

READ THIS ::>  < https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25964962 > ABOUT... rivaroxaban FIRST...  I AM ON 1/4 ASPIRIN TO LOWER STROKE RISK...

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR PARTICULAR SYMPTOMS AND NEEDS,  WHICH HAVE TO BE DETERMINED BY YOUR CARDIOLOGIST OR INTERNIST...

I WISH YOU LUCK AND BETTER HEALTH... GOT TO LIE DOWN AWHILE....  TILL  LATER.... BE WELL.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.