Tinnitus driving me to suicide

Posted , 38 users are following.

I fell pregnant in Sept 2014 (unplanned).  I didn't want more kids as I had a bad experience after my son was born 9 years ago.  I had dizziness, feeling of sleeping and never waking up again, panic attacks etc.  I took a long time to recover.  So when I feel pregnant (after 9 years) my husband told my son he is going to be a big brother and he got so excited and I didnt have the heart to abort the pregnancy as I saw how happy he was.  I was scared to go through with it considering how it was when my son was born but decided to do it anyway for the sake of my son.  In November 2014 I had a feeling in my right ear that I was losing my hearing so I made an appointment with an ENT.  He did tests but never told me my hearing in my right ear was bad, he just kept quiet.  I was so stupid and didnt even ask him what the tests showed.  He just gave me drops to put in my ear.  I went home and put the drops one day and the next day I would put olive oil and kept this going for a week.  However I felt this blockage was getting worse but didnt think anything about it.  I had tinnitus in my right ear previous to this for about 2 years.  It wasnt something I even noticed because it only happened at work when I was stressed but other than that I never noticed it so I didnt worry too much.  At the end of Dec 2014 I woke up one morning with this terrible noise in my right ear which scared the sh*t out of me.  I was so scared you would not believe it.  I also had this fullness in my right ear as if someone stuffed cotton wool in it.  I thought it would go away but a week later it was still there only this time I had a noise in the centre of my head by my nose, a different static sound.  I was getting more scared by this time.  Then at the beginning of Jan 2015 I had a miscarriage.  The noise however still remained.  I then went for an MRI and CT scan at the end of January 2015, all clear.  I then did blood tests, all clear.  I then went for a CT Angiogram and was told there is a narrow blood vessel at the back of my head on the right side but that they are not sure if this is causing the noise.  I was advised to "just live with it" as they could not put a stent in as there is a huge risk of a stroke.  My doctor then called me in and said that it "could" be tinnitus and there is nothing they can do about it.  I have been depressed since that day.  Its almost 7 months now and I cry so often as I miss my "normal" life when I didn't have this freaking thing !!  I am so suicidal and I don't know what to do.  I almost jumped off the building today where I work but I keep thinking about my son.  If it wasn't for him I would be dead right now.  How do I cope and live with this forever.  What if I live until a 100 years old, OMG, how will I manage with it until I die.  I don't think I can do this.  I am so depressed and yes I saw a psychiatrist and a psychologist and 4 different ENT doctors, GP's, Audiologists etc etc.  I am so sick and tired of doctors, hospitals etc.  My life has been and is still hell for the last 7 months.  I cannot sleep like I used to.  I used to sleep "like dead". Now when I wake up at 3am I cannot get back to sleep like I used to.  To top it all off I moved to a new house in Sept 2014 and I am homesick for my old house as there I was healthy with no tinnitus and happy.  Now I am miserable in a home I hate.  PLEASE PLEASE anyone help me.  What must I do to cope ? 

9 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. Please don't give up. Suicide is not the answer. I have tinnitus too and yes we all have our bad days and good days. I wear hearing aids and I can barely hear the tinnitus. It defintely helps. Take care of yourself
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you for your advice.  Do you have hearing loss as well cos I believe hearing aids are for those with severe hearing loss.  I was told to get a masker as the T. is only in my right ear.  Do you think that would help or should I get a hearing aid?   Does the hearing aid actually help in blocking out the T. 

I just wish the doctors would hurry up and find a cure soon.  There are too many people out there that are suffering daily. 

Take care, chat soon.

• Posted

My tinnitus is strange. It's always there but more noticable at times. Sometimes it's really loud and then I get short periods, very short periods of relief. Stick with. Docs are working on it.
    • Posted

Yes I have hearing loss. If I don't wear them, it is much louder. So it is quieter when you wear them. I hope we all feel better soon!

Take care.

• Posted

You should look into a masker or something that looks like an hearing aid that blocks the T. I think it would help you
    • Posted

Thanks so much.  I will speak to my audiologist on that the next time I visit him.  I would do anything just to lessen the noise by at least a little bit so I can live my life normally like I used to.  Take care also.
    • Posted

Hey, just wanted to ask you if you take any vitamins and if so do they help.  I am currently on Zinc, Magnesium and Gingo Biloba but I feel it does not make much of a difference.  Have you tried any meds to lessen the noise.  I heard a lot of people take Xanax and it reduces the noise by 50 %.  Have you tried it and does it help ?  I also saw on Facebook a product called the Antitintus patch.  Do you think this thing really works ? 
    • Posted

An in-ear device for tinnitus should help you. It can quiet the noise for you. I hope it does. Let me know what your audiologist say. I am only on vitamin b ... nothing seems to help. I haven't tried the brands you named. I heard it does help for some people but not all, just like you said, it doesn't help you. What is an antinnitus patch? Take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi thank.  What is an in-ear device.  Do you mean a hearing aid or a masker ?  I am asking cos I can ask my audiologist if this would help me.

The patch I am talking about can be seen on facebook.  Go in and read what is said and let me know what you think.  Take care.

• Posted

Google hearing aids for tinnitus. They look like ear plugs. They aren't hearing aids but similar. Ask your audiologist. They will know what you are talking about. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi. I have had Tinnitus for over 20 years now. Listening to loud music at gigs did it for me. But hey ho. Can't go back unfortunately.

I have, however, learnt to NOT FOCUS on the noise in myhead, but to push it to the back, and keep it under my thumb, as it were.

Focausing on it will make it a bigger problem for you, so go and see your Doc, and have him refer you to someone who can tell you how to *ignore* the noise. I can't remember what its called, now, but that, and masking the noise with background sounds - I hear a lot of people say they have a fan on at night to cover the noise - and a radio on during the day. Just keeping your mind off it makes such a difference.

• Posted

Wow, 20 years is a long time.  Was it hard for you in the beginning when you first got it.  I am also trying not to focus on the noise in my head but it can be difficult.  You are probably so used to it by now.  After 20 years does it get worse.  I am scared that it will worsen over time.  I also have mild hearing loss in my right ear where I have the tinnitus and I feel as if my hearing is getting worse in this ear.  I have it for almost 8 months now so I am pretty new to this.  It is very depressing and annoying to say the least.  I have been to my doc.  He is teaching me TRT therapy at the moment.  Hope it works but only time will tell.  Are you taking any meds / vitramins to help lessen the noise and if so does it help.  What type of sound do you hear and is it loud that you can hear it over the TV for example.  What other advice can you give a new sufferer like me ?

• Posted

Hi Shabina.

To be honest, I can't remember if it was a shock to me.

I used to go to music gigs regularly, and always left the venue with my ears ringing. By the morning, or the next day, the ringing would be gone.

Then one day, it didn't go....and has been with me ever since. Thinking about it, it's probably been with me nearer thirty years.

I guess I just got used to it. I do remember mentioning it to a friend of mine, and she told me about someone she knew who had been driven mad with it...so that was when I decided not to let it get the better of me. I always have some background sounds going - not loud, just there to mask it. Nothing drowns it out completely, but if you focus on the background sounds, you don't notice it.

I have never been to a TRT therapist - just learned to ignore it myself (though actually, whenever I visit a site talking about timmitus, I tend to find myself noticing it, so once I stop writing, I have to push it back into the shadows again). My T is like a high pitched 'eeeeeeeeee' sound.

I haven't taken any meds or vitamins (though for general health I take a multi vitamin, so not sure if that helps). All I do is avoid upsetting my T. I wear ear defenders when hoovering, or doing the lawn, or even using an electric shaver. All those things set it off like a box of rattlesnakes!

T has effected my hearing - like you, my hearing in my right ear is not so great. T sort of makes me hear everything through a noisy filter, so small sounds don't get through to me. Which I find sad, as I live in the country, so don't get to enjoy the subtle sounds of nature...but when i find myself feeling sad, I tell myself off, that at least I have my health, etc, and get back on the mindset of not letting it take me over. smile The TRT therapy will really help you to cope with it. So keep that up. smile Mike98973 has a lot of good ideas in his posts. I may even steal a few tips for myself. wink

• Posted

You are most welcome to re-read my posts and use any of the information to possibly help yourself or others.

One of my dear friends is a doctor who has chronic Tinnitus. Together, we have studied the most current medical textbooks on the subject. We have researched just about every treatment protocol offered. 

Thus, my recommendation list (things to be considered) is an abstract from our many hours of reading clinical studies and contacting research clinicians in the field of Tinnitus.      

Factual: Every modality / treatment protocol will have a different result for each patient. Tinnitus is truly a very complex hearing system and neurological condition. Therefore, I always recommend trying the least expense process first. However, I believe above & beyond everything; one must get a decent nights sleep - what ever it takes to do so must be done. 

Regarding a situation of very severe hearing loss; today science and surgical procedures do offer "cochlea implant" technology. This is considered when hearing aids no longer meet the needs of the patient. 

We are all actually lucky; in today's world, we do have "things" to try to offset the discomfort. Prior to WW2 and up through 1950's, I do not think anyone heard of the medical term Tinnitus!

In closing here, we have to read and read and then make a decision to try a few processes that may help. *Most of the challenge is psychological adaptation. Honestly, I went "insane" the first year and eventually things do improve to a certain point. 

"Thank You"            

• Posted

Thank you Mike. You have obviously delved into this a great deal. You are right, the psychological battle is the most important...when you can adapt to live with your unwanted guest, you are halfway to winning the war. smile All the very best to you. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.