Tips and techniques of how I completely recovered from CFS / ME!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was diagnosed with M.E. in August 2012.  I now consider myself to be practically recovered from it.  I still have the issue of fighting infections off, but other than that, I feel I can do anything that I want to do!

I was sleeping for 16 hours a day, not able to move without becoming too tired, headaches, muscle tiredness, unable to work, and many other common symptoms!  My M.E. became apparent when I had tonsillitis, but that was obviously the final straw for my body as I had been having symptoms for months previous to that but hadn't thought much of it!

I followed a number of different ideas and techniques which I believe had a major impact on my recovery.  I know that this won't be for everyone, as there are symptoms I didn't experience, and I didn't have other linked conditions such as Fibromyalgia etc.

If you would like some PERSONAL advice, and I have to stress that these techniques are only my opinion of what I have found to have worked, please feel free to message me on here as I now have time to give something back to others who are suffering.  I personally think individual messages on here would be more beneficial than an overall tip!

Thanks, Emily smile

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your mind telling you you are tired!!!! I have struggled for 19 years all blood tests normal diagnosed with me/CFS no test for this so only given when every thing else has been checked out. Only recently have I been told I have not got me/CFS nor have I ever had me/CFS !!!!!! I ve said it before and I say it again look up. " I am hashimoto s a letter". Is this you ?? Glad to hear you are back to health but I m afraid I am skeptical about me/CFS , the list of symptoms for it and hashimoto also 'Wilson's syndrome' are much the same any one reading this page, check it out it just might be you ! Also Diane Holmes book " tears behind closed doors" is worth a look at , she was misdiagnosed for 23years ended up in a wheel chair and is now a happy healthy lady leading a fuller life after finding a doctor who treat the symptoms not the blood tests !!!!! 

• Posted

Hi Emily,

I am so very glad that you have managed to recover. However, nearly everyone who has CFS/ME has it to a reasonably severe degree at the time of diagnosis. The time to really look at is the 2 years following this. This is the time when the symptoms will change and you learn to manage your condition. It has now been medically proven that CFS/ME is a physical condition with mental health symptoms rather than a psychological conditions with physical symptoms, as previously thought.

As I said I am really pleased that the regime you have followed has worked for you and that you have shared it on here for others to benefit from.

I do wish you all the luck for the future.

• Posted

Xemily you say you were diagnosed with ME , how exactlydid they test you ? The latest news on ME says ME stands for '. A swelling of the brain' and spinal cord, and after testing on patients ' diagnosed'. With ME this was found not to be the case. It then became CFS then ME/CFS because CFS sounds trivial compared to how a sufferer  with a chronic fatigue illness actually feels . I don't mean to be rude as I have suffered most of the awful symptoms listed for this , for many many years . It is only now that I have been diagnosed with a autoimmune disease and proof of it and told I have never had ME/CFS . Where is the proof of ME? What tests were carried out? Saying this I am glad you have recovered from your illness and perhaps your tips will help others .
  • Posted

Hi  firstly i would like to apologise if I present as abrupt. That is not my intention.  I just feel passionate. 

I like everyone here are elated you have recovered. And that you have shared your journey. Sadly this has been tainted by your delivery. Saying it is a case of mind over is simply insulting. I know we are individual and react differently but surely you are not only cured one if this was possible?

As for routine exercise, I do this and it has no beneficial results for CFS 

Again apologies these are my thoughts. I wish you all well 

• Posted

Donna: I think you put this very well. I was especially concerned about xemily's post because of all the potentially undiagnosed or newly diagnosed people who come to this forum. They feel ill, and have often been told by doctors that it's all in their head. Then they come to this forum for support. I think it would be pretty devastating to hear "it's all in your head" from a support group. Of course I'm glad xemily is better now and wish that for all of us. 
  • Posted

Other conditions can cause severe fatigue that can be managed with routine and exercise such as some forms of depression. Not saying this is in your case. Just putting thoughts out there 
    • Posted

Many researchers have problems with the U.K. study that has resulted in the current NHS protocol of CBT and graded exercise. They say, among other things, that the study included peope who were depressed and didn't have CFS, and didn't include very ill CFS patients. Dr. Jose Montoya, a doctor/researcher at Stanford University is among these researchers, as is Dr. Paul Cheney, who's treated patients since the first cases were diagnosed in Incline Village, Nevada.
    • Posted

I tried to stay neutral but found it hard. We all know how we feel and to be dismissed as in our heads just upsets me. I know that was not the intention. And hope is something we all need
    • Posted

Thats the problem Donna, as soon as someone comes out stating that they are better and explain what that they thought helped them, negativity sets in from others and people start saying that they never had ME in the first place...

Just putting thoughts out there? Thats just a finical statement which promotes unconcious mind control.

How do we know that you have ME, maybe you have severe depression instead or another condition??

Not saying this is your case, just putting it out there.......

Whilst I do not totally agree with Emily, I do agree that the mind plays a very big part in how the body reacts and functions.

I know 3 people who have made vast improvements over the last year, going from severe to mild. They used emotional techniques as well as gradually increasing activities (when I mean gradula, it was very very gradual) and a good diet/amino intake. All of them have a positive outlook, even through the bad times.

If there is one thing I would like to take from this, it would be being positive. Try it, results are almost immediate. Instead of looking at the negative, look at the positive spin on everything, see how you feel and how your body reacts, dont give up. If it works, hurray, I will treat you and the kids to a meal..

• Posted

I agree that the mind plays a part but is not only contributer to the illness.  And therefore can only play a part in managing CFS. 

I am not a negative person. I have bad days but the good things in my life bring me through. There are those who have been misdiagnosed and potentially recovered. I was not dismissing the diagnosis given, just restating a point made previously. 

As we know there is no definative test for CFS. 

As for your comment on trying positivity and dinner, please do not patronise me. 

Well done to  your friends on their recovery. As you stated it is a multi disaplined routine they follow and progress slow. Who is to say they will not relapse again. I hope they do not. And after few years of full health it would be easier for people to accept. 

• Posted

Oh yes, they are well aware that they are not fully cured and it may return but keeping on top of things will reduce the risk of a relapse.

I am having a bad day. Woke up and couldnt move, in soo much pain all over because I have done way to much over the last couple of weeks and it has finally hit me. However I look at the postiive aspects and have managed to get into work and feeling better albeit in pain.

No patronisation, genuine offer, thats just who I am, always willing to help others.

Anyway, hope today is one of your good days, I am off to drink some Matcha Tea...

• Posted

I hope your day becomes less painful  it is certainly no fun. 

I have to stay posative as some of my childrenn have their own health conditions. 

I too help others whenever possible regardless of myself. 

Well wishes

• Posted

I have had CFS for decades. I exercise, eat well, meditate, take care of myself, have an extremely postive attitude and am completely thrilled for anyone who comes out the other end of this. Just because someone rejects or questions another's ideas, doesn't mean that it's negativity or sour grapes. Frankly, the moment someone utters those "all in your mind" kind of words or worse "get a good night's sleep", I walk away. It's incredibly small-minded thinking and I have no room for it. I appreciate your candor, Donna. Thank you. 
    • Posted

I was just trying to be honest about my feelings. I am never personally attack unless deserved. In this case I was giving my opinion like other posts. I always try not to offend and will apologise if I do.  I wish you wel 
  • Posted

First I want to say how glad I am that you are fully well.  However, I am doubting the diagnosis of CFS for you because the methods you used to regain your health are contraindications for those suffering CFS.  Exercise - the problem isn't the exercise so much as the post exertion malaise.  I do try to take some exercise but within two or three days I have to pay back with one, two or three weeks where I am unable to even lift my hand, stand up unaided or stay awake for more than an hour or so.  I also take antidepressants which do lift my mood but the idea that CFS is primarily a phsychological illness with physical manifestations is the thinking that sufferers have been fighting against since this illness has been recognised.  I am a positive person but after 7 years of being unable to hold down a job or look after myself or my house to any normal extent has meant a mind change.  I am, as I say, glad that you are well but the message you are giving and the way it has been written is like a slap in the face for all of us who are trying to live with this devastating illness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.