Total knee replacement 4 days post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi everyone i have just had total left knee replacement on saturday x my leg is black with a lot of bruising x is this normal

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning.

Yes bruising is quite normal. I had a LTKR on May 2nd. I had a lot of bruising this time around. ( RLTR-May 2016) Good luck with your recovery. ICE,ICE,ICE and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

had mine a TKR just over a year ago and i am in a full time job with a busy role and for me the knee aches alot majority of the time ..its just trying to manage it best i can

• Posted

hi

yes unfortunately this is right also along with the swelling, keep resting, ice pack and keep elevating the leg. I'm six weeks post op the bruises and burning sensation as gone but the swelling is still here.

Keep positive.

• Posted

Hi please don't worry. I'm 3weeks post op and my leg had the biggest bruise ever turned purple from top of knee right down to ankle all the round behind the knee too. Most of it has gone now. We have to remember we've been through some brutal surgery. Good luck with your recovery..

• Posted

how long before i can start to feel less pain x taking codeine and paracetonol and icing four times a day x is week two easier

• Posted

It is a long road from

my point of view so take each week by week and do not set your expectations to high to soon

.Everyone will have a different level of recovery time but try to remain positive

• Posted

Everybody recovers at different rates. Make sure you take you pain killers as prescribed as it dose help. But for me yes week2 was better then week1 and so far week3is going well now getting around with only one stick and only taking paracetamol for pain. Knee is very stiff and according to physio isn't bending as much as it should so still a long way to go..only do what you can.. Ice and elevate as often as you can it helps with the swelling.

• Posted

hi, I am nearly 6 weeks post op, still on two crutches but it is getting easier I'm managing to sleep in bed now most of the night without pain and not as stiff as it was a few weeks ago, just take each day as it comes it's a long journey.

Alison

• Posted

You just went through the most brutal surgery there is. Literally everything is "normal". Click on my name and then on "Discussions" over on the right and then finally "View All". I have about 30 out there on all sorts of topics that could be helpful. Give up all expectations and listen to your knee. Typically, a full recovery takes a year. Own it.

• Posted

hi x thanks im getting there slowly x only been 6 days so i think im expecting too much plus feels like its burning down my shin not sure if its normal

• Posted

hi

im not sure what is normal anymore. ive had a visit from the community nurse today, who tells me im doing well ( i dont feel well!!) She managed to get a stocking on my operated leg ( for the first time) and got a 80 degree bend ( with substantial assistance!!). My bruising is coming out, my elbow is breaking out ( pressure sore), my stomach is very swollen, i have a cery tender part of my back which makes me yelp when i accidentally lie on it. and i cant lift my aching leg- good apart from that!!!

• Posted

Expecting too much will screw with your head big time. Virtually everyone does it because we get zero information up front and, even if we did, no one can truly prepare you for your own, personal experience. I've read over 20,000 posts in 3+ years on here and I can tell you that there's pain, frustration, lots of work, more time than we thought and a healthy dose of patience. Just boil that down to time, work and patience. Be Zen: "The knee will be better when it's better." You can't rush it, you can't push it...period.

Post this on your fridge...

Reality

One picture says a lot...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.