Total knee replacement & nerve pain

Posted , 24 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post TKR. The joint & incision feel fine. Although the muscles are tight the range of motion is good. What has me pulling my hair out is nerve pain! The surface of my skin is unbearably sensitive to even the slightest of touch. This, coupled with the occasional burst of lightening down the back of my leg, is making life a living torture! Pain meds do precisely nothing for this nerve pain. Does anyone have any tips for nerve pain relief?

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear you're in so much pain & nerve pain is nasty. Amytriptoline also is good for nerve pain. See your GP, don't wait to see the surgeon. GP should be able to prescribe something for nerve pain.

As you've no doubt read on this forum TKR is a brutal operation. You've been diced up & sewn back together. I still have a spot on my scar, when I massage, it that twangs at the back of the knee. It felt horrible at 1st but am used to it. I never had nerve pain. I feel for you, had sciatica few years back & that is also nerve so I do not envy you.

I hope you get something to relieve it soon. Hang on on there & look after yourself, in a couple of years you will be skipping about on your new knee like a spring lamb!

Have a lovely Christmas but just make sure someone else does all the work!!

Good luck on your journey.

XX

• Posted

Hi Pleiadeez7, the drug that helps with nerve pain is lyrica, ask your doctor if they think this is an appropriate drug for you.  I've been taking 450mg of lyrica a day. At this stage I would suggest that you don't get started on tramadol. Lyrica targets the nerve pain and has made a huge difference in my life. I had right tkr 14 months ago and I'm still waiting for left tkr so for both it's been a huge help.

• Posted

Also endep (amitriptyline) is good. See which one your doctor thinks.
    • Posted

HI I had knee replacement 4 month my knee got infected .they left a Clip in ..awfully .pain horrible nothing help with the pinch N pain I've giving lyrical 25mg NOT HELPING I scream when I'm in thereby of the pain .my Ortho not helping ...HELP PLZ I've seeing a pain clinic ,Now going to see a remotology

• Posted

I too suffered from nerve pain around week 3 and 4. The PT suggested the drug mentioned here but would not prescribe it as it is a strong nerve drug used often for diabetics not temporary conditions, as hopefully this is. Honestly, I did not get strong enough long acting pain meds. But the good news the nerve pain subsided after about 2 weeks. My PT said to keep lightly touching the sensitive knee with tissue or cotton balls to desensitize the area and calm the knee down. It felt dumb rubbing a tissue over the knee but I began using my clairsonic on my knee and incision. Yes, weird huh. The vibration is very gentle and has calmed the incision and nerves down. I use the clarisonic on my knee every night after I exercise working on lossening the scar tissue and skin that is tight around the knee along the incision. For those that are not familiar with this products, it uses fast moving brush heads to gently clean your face. Before you laugh, give it a try. I still have a 1/4 side of my knee that is numb. Other than a stabbing nerve pain occasionally, no other nerve pain. I consider the stabbing pain to indicate healing so it does not bother me much as it subsides quickly

Monday, I will be 12 weeks post right tkr. I still don't sleep well and still use a cane outside , as I'm uneven due to my last hip replacement, but am healing. I still felt better before surgery but can now use the exercise bike and drive short distances without pain.

Good healing. One day you will realize a few minutes went by when you did not think of your keep or the pain.

Sue

• Posted

Dr. put me on Lyrica 50 mg 1 tab every 12 hours also on Tramadol
  • Posted

Her as are the last to heal and may take months. Ask your Dr about The possibility of using either gabepentin or lyrica to help you buy some relief. Others have suggested some form of sleeve to keep things from rubbing against it but that's sort of a band aid approach. Lots of stuff has been cut and all has to refire to work again.

• Posted

First, wrap the knee loosely with an ACE bandage or get a light compression knee sleeve.  This relieves the torture of the knee rubbibg against sheets or clothes.  Feeling will eventually subside.

Muscles will be tight.  Need to stretch.  Once the PT gives you back your ROM...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

...ya gotta hit the gym to rebuild the strength in your quads, glutes and core.  All have atrophied so it will take time and work.  Read the Exercise Section here...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

The nerve pain could be from sciatica (section in the above post).  Lyrica, Neurontin, Gabapentin, Celebrex are some meds.  If it's actually sciatica, don't treat the pain, fix the problem.  Go see a chirporactor and get your hips and back realligned.  Very common in TKR patients.  We walk funny to compensate for the knee pain and throw everything else out of whack.  I'd start there rather than take drugs.

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks post TKR on my right knee, did well in PT. Got my 120 bend in 2 weeks. Had lower back pain from the get go after surgery, but I've always had sciatica issues on the right. Niw here I am 7 weeks post and having the worst pain behind my knee. Feels like bungy cords twanging against eachother, and then the nerve pain.Today is the worst,tried to slip my shoe off and it felt like something squeezed the nerve ,pain shot down and around the side of my knee down my shin the top of my foot,at the same time up the side,back of my thigh, up my buttocks to my back. Needless to say, I have a call into my chiropractor, even though my PT, didn't want me to do chiropractics for 2-3 months. I have to do something, I don't want all my progress to go in reverse because I can barely bend my knee without pain. Just needed to know I'm not alone, as not to panic.

• Posted

Thanks Chico. That picture definitely says it all! Yes, I'm guilty of thinking that I would be riding that bike on level ground. All you're information here is invaluable.

• Posted

Susan, my right kknee tkr no issues my left different story, 2 years post op symptoms similar to yours, it turns out I had a bulging disc resulting in the sciatic nerve being pinched causing pain down my leg through my knee to my foot, my ortho doc couldn’t figure out the pain, finally sent me to pain management they found my disc ruptured (because my ortho couldn’t figure it out) anyhow spinal injections help but my knee swells with fluid it especially sucks at night, a re-do tkr too risky as I’m 59 Dr says it would be a rough one...decisions decisions... hang in there
    • Posted

OMG that how I fell bending i's psinful.N I'm into 4 month in the knee replacement N it's been horribleeeee

Im.losing hope pain every day alday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.