total knee replacement pai

Posted , 15 users are following.

On july 27, 2016, i had a total knee replacement and its been a nightmare. Operated Wednesday, Thursday started therapy, fri i couldn't even lift my leg. Went home Fri, had home therapy Saturday. Pain still at a 10. This continued for 2 weeks. Then it was out patient therapy. 1 month later, knee was worse. Now i got swelling, csnt bend and does not get straight. Stopped pt,. THEN MANIPULATION! !!. Holy smoke. That was on a Monday. At 3:31am, i thought i was giving birth, and im a guy. Pain just hit me. Tears came to my eyes . I really have much more respect for women cause i know this does not compare but for a man, it was MY giving birth. Started pt again, 2 weeks in, i still can't sleep cause of pain. Its 1:30am now. I can't take it anymore. Tired of pills, not eating, miserable, stuck in house. Any tips s on how to deal with this pain? No more pills please.

1 like, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Call your doctor and demand to be seen! You need some attention. Something isn't right. It's not like Midevil times where you have to suffer in pain! Call after hours right now and tell them what's going on. Please. Don't suffer through another night. Get some help. Prayers.

• Posted

Keep me posted. You can message me if you like. I just hope you get some help.
    • Posted

So do I...tired of eating cereal late at night. Btw, i get cold a lot since tkr.....never before like now. You?
    • Posted

Yes but I figured it was because I lost so much weight I'm like a skeleton! No meat on my bones.

• Posted

Hope some of this helps...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Everyone has told you...and will continue to tell you...that: 1. it's probably the most painful op anyone has ever had; and 2. it's a loooong recovery.  @ 2 months, you're still in the max pain zone (usually 0-3 months).  Pain, no sleep, PT...yes...this is the toughest time.  For most people, the difference between 2 and 6 months is radically different.

I started at -14 / +84 and finished 9 weeks of PT at -1 / +128.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus.  I got stuck at -4 for two weeks.  This is not easy stuff...takes a lot of work and determination.

Meds:  Take 'em when you need them.  Some people find it helpful to take some before PT.  Up to you.  Most of us are off the opioids at the 90-day mark...some need them longer.  Titrate down and then substitute 800mg ibuprophin TID (RX); some prefer Tramadol (RX).  Also try Voltaren Gel (RX), best topical anti-inflammatory out there.  Ice and elevate (but you already know that).

Tips: Do NOT compare yourself to anyone else...period.  Everyone has their own individual experience.  Take the meds when you need them.  Eat healthy (your body needs the energy).  Lose weight if necessary (less pressure on the knee).  Hydrate...a lot.  Do NOT expect to be anywhere in your progress at any time.  My post contains a lot of "ballparks" but everyone is different.  Concentrate on the work, not the pain (easier said than done).  Sleep as long as your body needs to.  Knee swells?  You pushed it too far.  Back off.  Do not measure your progress day to day...play the long game...this whole thing can take 12-18 months.  Get rid of the walking aids as soon as you can.  After PT, get to the gym and rebuild your quads, glutes and core.  

I'm almost 69 and just about 7 months post-op.  I'm at 0 / +131, no meds, no aids, great sleep and zero pain.  Yes, my first three steps after I get up from sitting a while are always an adventure but I have no problem walking after that.  Knee still a bit stiff with those damn clicking sounds which may never go away.  Just want to get back on my skates by the one year mark.  Time and work...the pain is just temporary.  Good luck...

• Posted

So you ARE getting back on skates! Awesome goal Chico. Do they have skating in Texas? I suppose they must.
    • Posted

Already bought the new Rollerblades plus the hockey pants (to protect the artifical hip) and the knee pads for the TKR. I'll never play hockey again but just getting on the skates would be sooooo great.  Have the blades hanging in my home office for incentive purposes.  Still have to find my old CCM ice skates and get them professionally sharpened (hollow ground, 2 1/2" rock).  They have an ice rink in the middle of The Galleria mall in Dallas.  That would be nice.  If I didn't have 4 1/2 pounds of titanium in me (hip, back and knee...with another 2-pound TKR to go), I'd still be playing the game.  In 16 months, I'd qualify for an Over 70 league!!!  But those days are gone.  But I'm so very thankful for both the technology and the skill of my docs that, 100 years ago, would have put me in a wheelchair at 55.  Personally, I think they're trying to turn me into a Terminator...Ahnold would be proud.  Told my wife that when I'm ashes, she's gotta recover all the precious metal, sell it and throw me a party!!!

I know there are a lot of people out there in a lot of pain.  I was too...but it passed.  If you can't retain at least a little sense of humor when you're surrounded by all this crap, they why even go on?  I've had 27 operations in the past 15 years...lots of minor stuff like gallbladder, trigger fingers, carpal tunnel, shoulder impingements and more.  Ya just gotta laugh, have the doc fix it and keep on walkin' down the road.  

My first wife died at age 34 from breast cancer in 1983.  High school sweetheart, dated for 7 years, married for 12...our daughter was 5 at the time of her passing.  My current wife had a brain aneurysm that almost killed her in 2010.  My daughter fought and won her own breast cancer battle in 2014.  Everything else is bullpucky.  I don't care how painful a TKR is, it is NOT life and death.  The other experiences are the ones that change your perspective.  TKRs are trivial in comparison.

• Posted

Wow how do you do it? Your life has been tragic in some ways. I'm so sorry for your losses. Yet you still have your sense of humor. People like you inspire me for sure. I've had my share of losses too. And had a lung removed from cancer. It takes its toll for sure. But I will look forward to the future. Start doing my workouts again. I don't think I can go running anymore. I may try and see what happens. Nothing like a good endorphin rush to make you feel great!! Keep on inspiring people. Thank you.

• Posted

Great philosophy....stuck to it!!! BTW, do they make inline skates with training wheels.
    • Posted

Tragedy or joy...there is really no difference.  Everything is a learning experience.  It's why we're here...to learn to be better souls than we were before.  It's all about recognizing opportunity, not constantly giving in to raw emotions and putting things in perspective.

Believe me...I've had plenty of sleepless, tear-filled nights...and days...plus a whole lot of really happy times.  Aside from my wives and children, I've been a musician all my life and still love playing blues bass on stage.  That's just being human, but there's more to it.  At our core we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.  When we die, we're still our spiritual selves, hopefully better for what we just went through.  That spirit is composed of pure energy...the energy that powers the whole Universe.  According to The Law of Conservation of Energy: "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed."  We are who and what we are...and will continue to be, but we have the free will to become better than what we are now.  All we have to do is see it and live it.

For me, I'm a survivor and caregiver...it's what I'm meant to be in this life.  I accept it and embrace it.  All my pain is just trivial...after all, I get to make the people I love happier than they were.  What more could you want in life than that?

• Posted

Yeah...the old 4-wheel roller skates!!!!!  The "blades" are a whole lot more stable and controllable...like a bicycle...especially in turns.

• Posted

Hey.....my wife's old steel wheeled skates from her childhood are hanging in the basement .....key and all. Only one small issue......I think a dinosaur may have accidentally stepped on one of the wheels and bent it a little......that tells you how old they are.

• Posted

I'm one to give in to raw emotions. The anniversary of my youngest brothers death at 24 the other day sent me in a tailspin of depression. I just laid in bed and cried for 2 days straight. Alternating between sleeping and thinking of a way to end the pain for good. I haven't been that bad in a long time. It happened so long ago in 1991 but feels like it was yesterday. Life goes on you know and you think you've found a way to live with it but it rears it's ugly head from time to time. I had a nervous breakdown a year afterwards. Pulled myself together and was eventually diagnosed with bipolar and panic attacks. There is no magic pill. It's really rough sometimes. Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. Gotta look at the big picture.

• Posted

I still have my old steel-wheel, leather BOOT skates from when I was 14...no key required.  Pro street skates in 1962...now hanging on the wall in my garage.  Another great memory...
    • Posted

Chico ,I also am a musician ,even though I don't play for money any longer Grew up in Houston and played with lots of old blues legends.,when I was young . You sure have great attitude MY attitude and will are really beeing challenged by this knee issue. I already had a redo on my first one Now I am hearing that my knee might be infected again which would mean real trouble They would have to take knee out and leave it out for several weeks while area is swamped with anti biotic Whole procedure sounds scarey and creepy to me. I am really scared.

• Posted

It's very hard but oh so simple to put down the bag of bricks.  Remember the love...know that his spirit still lives, especially in you.  Depression has no place in this...it's only anger turned inward.  Maybe that's a lesson you need to learn in this life...how to deal with anger.

Mine is judgement and comparison.  It's so very tough for me sometimes not to be that way with other people (especially when you look at our presidential candidates this year) or myself after growing up in mafia-land in Brooklyn.  I could be so hateful of God and The Universe for so many things but I choose to be different.  

Remember...it's always a choice, Renee...  Make good ones.

• Posted

There is no scared ("There is no spoon." - The Matrix).  Fear is just a disconnect from spirit and light.  Don't let that happen.

Started on drums when I was 11...then guitar and bass.  Before Texas, I founded and led a 13-piece, FIVE HORN blues band in New Jersey for 7 Years...daughter Kate was our lead vocalist for four.    Best band I ever, ever had.  At almost 69, still a gigging blues bassist down here.  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link. Please do not post "split" links to get around moderation. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to exchange the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Pat....I went through exactly the same thing starting a year so last March. No trying to downplay the situation, its a b***h and there is no other way to describe it. However; you can and will make it. Just be patient and work at slowly. For 6 months you will be completely consumed by the process. I missed a son's wedding in California for one thing. I am also responsible for my wife who is in advanced stages of Parkinson's disease. We had to arrange for outside help and just put our lives on hold. Within a reasonable period of time I was able to sneak out and get my walker in the car so I could run errands. Just wait till you get the results of the test......then talk to your surgeon and infectious disease guy for a complete understanding of the protocol. If in fact you do have an infection you have no choice so make the best of it. Lay in a supply of the things you enjoy and line up a support group. Like ive said many times during that period....if it hadn't been for Dr appointments we wouldn't of had a social life. Hang in there......my heart goes out to you but we do what we have to in this world. Hang in there.

• Posted

Chico, what you write in this forum and what you've lived is is nothing short of amazing. im so grateful you're here. I hope you can appreciate how many people you've helped, including this one.

• Posted

Chico you are a man of many talents! I played guitar starting around 11 years old in a Catholic School folk group. Sister Mary Jo was my teacher. We played at mass and did gigs at Kawanis and Nursing Homes. Then I dropped it and picked it back up a few years ago. It's very relaxing and helped me get through my cancer. My son plays. He's a natural. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

• Posted

He is truly inspiring. He has helped me so much. We are blessed to know him through this forum. I wish we could all meet in person. Everyone come hobbling or maybe sprinting in!
    • Posted

Gezz, Renee...  Four of us started playing in 1961 when I started high school (actually a Catholic seminary) and literally invented the "folk mas" after the Second Vatican Council gave permission to do mass in the natice language instead of Latin.  Did hospital;s, nursing homes, etc...like good little Catholic Boys.  Read the bible in Latin and the original Greek...wow, those skills are looooong gone!!!

Spent 5 years there (4 HS and 1 college) before realizing that I could still be called "father" and not have to give up sex.  When I met my first wife, Susan, she was thinking of becoming a nun.  Figured we's get together and have a bunch of little altar boys...  Funny how these things turn out...

• Posted

Ain't no ice here in Texas!!!!  Thank God.  These idiots don't know how to drive when it's sunny and 90-degrees!!!

• Posted

How we have those visions of life and perfection when we are young.

I dated a beautiful little Catholic girl who decided to become a nun. (It took me years of therapy to understand it wasn't because of me that she made that decision). A few years later I found she decided to head back to the life of The laity. Finally asked a close mutual friend about her decision. His only comment.......she found out what none meant.

Still wonder why the monsignor kicked two of my buddies and me plus our dates out of the Christmas dance. I used to think it was a combination of us not being students there and not being Catholic.......then finally came to the conclusion it was the fact e didn't bring him a 1/2 pint of quality scotch. As my little Irish priest golfing buddy once told me, scotch is the only thing the damn Scots were ever good for.

• Posted

Lol we were brainwashed! I wanted to become a nun too. Sister Mary Agony!! See you paved the way for young UN's like me to follow in your footsteps and play folk mass and other gigs. Yeah I was unaware of the whole celibate thing too till I got older hahaha. That idea went by the wayside! True story. My second grade teacher died suddenly. She was actually very young. And we all had to go to her funeral wearing our First Communion garb. First time I ever saw a dead person. I guess they didn't really prepare us for the open coffin. What were they thinking. Believe me I had some nuns later on. Well that's not very nice but I'm pretty sure they've supplied the psychiatric community with many patients. Oh the scars!

• Posted

Lol you dated a nun!! Darn bad choice there!! Yep we all wanted to be nuns till we hit puberty! So funny.
    • Posted

BIG LOL!!!!!!!!  We were told at the 8th grade Catholic school dance that we could touch hands while we danced, not bodies.  We had to "make room for the Holy Ghost"!!!!!  What bull$@#%!!!  Did you know that the famous Baltimore Catechism book was actually BANNED in the city of Baltimore???

• Posted

OMG!!!!  I still twitch when I pass by a nun "in habit"!!!  Yes, we were sold down the river, Renee...lots of therapy.  Thank God it was the 60's for me (HS '61-'65, college '65-'69) and a lot of that stuff got tossed real quick.  In '64, I was a drummer in a Beatles band!!!  Not the image of a good seminarian.

• Posted

Is there no end to your talents! I'm loving your music. Only got to listen to a couple songs but loving them. Blues Brothers....

• Posted

Will finish tomorrow. Watching Giants
    • Posted

Chico, your story has given me some hope. I am 9 weeks post open. I am in more pain than ever I have good flexibility unless I sit for a period of time. My problem is pure pain. Area on knee and around is really out there. Exercising at pt today had to be stopped cause of the pain Doctor took a culture and blood test to see if I am infected again. That would be a nightmare . Don't know if I can handle anymore inactivity. A spacer is not my idea of a good way to live. Plus that would mean 2 more surgeries

• Posted

Yeah Giants shanked it big time! What the heck! Vikings still undefeated. And I was hoping this was Packers year. My crush Aaron Rodgers needs to step up and try and win that division. Ugh!
    • Posted

1/4 of the season gone and not much shaking out yet. A couple of teams are doing well but just one injury from collapse.

After my team looked like A bundle of smelly garbage Sunday night.

• Posted

Oh your team got slaughtered by Pittsburgh. Time to put a bag over your head lol! Hey I'm a Buffalo Bills fan due to where I live. I had to survive the 4 Superbowl losses. Damn. I'll never forget Wide Right vs the Giants! At least they've won 2 games. Yay.

• Posted

Pat...  I can't imagine dealing with infection...I hope that doesn't happen.  Just remember that you're still in the "max pain zone", around 3 months.  Hope you are still on your meds.  Try taking some an hour before PT...seems to have worked for a bunch of people on the Forum.  Are you getting enough sleep so you can handle your daytime activities?

• Posted

Awesome advice. You sound better than my doc. So true all you said. Hate it when people point out thry supposedly had the same operation and theres nothing wrong with them, then proceed to tell uou, you picked the wrong doc or some othe stupid reason. You hit it right on the head. Thank you. Read it twice, making copy, and putting it on wall as my motivation.
    • Posted

Which is almost as painful as the knee surgery for me....

Especially after Sunday night......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.