Total Knee Replacement what to expect

Posted , 10 users are following.

New to this forum and hoping for some advice.

Having a total knee replacement next month and not really sure what to expect or how to prepare for it.

Have had both hips replaced over last two years but it seems from reading up that knees are far more painful and take longer to recover from.

Any tops would be much appreciated as I'm way more apprehension about this surgery 

Thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If it helps, I was very anxious about my TKR which I had t weeks ago. I expected the worst and was plasantly surprised . . . The elite was no where near as bad as my imagination. It's not easy,but it's been much better then I feared. After reading g several experiences though, I consider myself lucky as some have found dit quite difficult. I was told and agree the first three weeks are the worse. So that's not too too lo g to endure, and the it does get easier, exexcept pet for sleeping unless you are lucky a d can sleep on your back.

You will get ad is here and will be directed to so e good files people ha e saved that you can read. ChicoMarx has lots of good info.

Read up here as much has you can and special d hemophilia getting your head around d what you are embarking getting on. It's not for sissies, but with the right positive mental attitude, it a be easier the expected.

One thing getting I did in advance was made sure I had a lot of calming and relaxing music downloaded to listen to as well as sounds like, rain, the ocean, birds, etc ., so in the event might not sleep I could ld at least ensure I would rest and relax. I also prepped my house in advance a d particularly my bedside with everything I might need, and was so glad I did that.you wowon't t want to be getting up and Down a lot at first.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

God I hate me auto complete a d auto correct...sorry for all the typos. Let me know if Anything s confused you. Lol
    • Posted

Thank you for your helpful advice. I'm hoping this will be my last surgery for a long time!!

I hope you continue to recover well

• Posted

Dear Dalmatian,

Welcome aboard newbie...I was a newbie about a week ago, but nice to welcome a newer member!

I had my tkr two weeks ago today...anniversary I guess you could say.  I also was very apprehensive and anxious about the surgery and afterwards, but most of my fears and questions have been answered on this wonderful site!  

The surgery and the day after was not bad, you're on so many meds nothing really matters.  I came home on the third day and had minimal pain, but lots of stiffness and heaviness in my knee.  Most of this was alleviated by elevating and icing my knee continuously...and of course the meds.  So, the first 7-8 days were the toughest, followed by a bit of improvement everyday.  Today is day 14 and I have to say I am really feeling so much better.  It is a slow process, but it does get better!  

You will have so many questions as you heal, that's where this site is so wonderful.  There are so many wise members here that will take the time to answer any question you have.  The first time I asked a question, I received 14+ emails in no time.  Don't hesitate to ask!

Being prepared is definately necessary!  I made sure I had all the devises I needed...most of which you probably have from your hip surgery...lots of pillows, leg lifter, shower chair, ice machine (available on line), grab bars for shower, walker/cane, etc.  I'm sure you have a good idea what you need.  Hopefully, you will have someone to help you for at least the first week or so.

You will be tired and go through many of the same things most of us have gone through, but you will make it!  Funny thing, here I am giving the same advise I was given just a few short days ago...but it works.

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and advice. This will be my 3rd joint replacement operation in as many years, so I'm hoping it will be the last for a good few years.

I hope you continue to recover well.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/what-do-you-wish-you-had-known-before-your-tkr--601336

Hi, above is one of the discussions on here a month or so ago which may be a helpful read!

Are you in UK?

Very good wishes to you. Exercise now if you are able to and try not to be anxious. As I kept telling myself before, though it is major surgery,

it is also routine surgery...They have lots and lots and lots of practice!

Be kind to yourself and resolve to both let your body heal but also to put the effort into the rehab afterwards. I thought of it as being 50% the surgeon's work and 50% mine. I am 5 and a half ,moths post op now. Reaping the rewards of the surgery big time.

• Posted

Thank you for the link - yes I'm in the UK I'm 55 so quite young to be having this surgery but my surgeon thinks it will give me increased mobility and better quality of life.

• Posted

I am 52. It is so worth it! Completely new lease of life! I am over the moon!
    • Posted

I was 55 years and so pleased had it done although a few lows initially. Will need the 2nd one doing at some point but personally have no issues about doing it again. There are younger people on her have had it done and for me its all about quality  of life NOW and will deal with  later lol!!

all the best

• Posted

Hi Dalmation. I am at stage 4 with osteoarthritis and little cartilage. Sometimes if I walk without my donjoy brace it gets stuck and it feels like my knee is hanging from a string. My knee surgeon keeps urging me to wait for surgery because I'm 42. I am scared myself to get a replacement. I just don't have the courage to do it. People say it's the best thing ever . Stay positive.

• Posted

The longer you can bear it, and wait, the better. If you have it too young, there is a good chance you will have to have it again in your lifetime due to limited lifespans of the apparatus. I was told at 47 I needed it, but limped it out for 10 years and just had it 5 weeks ago. It is nowhere near as bad, scary or painful as I imagined. It's big, and it's major....but it was better the I feared. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. I'm 42 and I'm trying as long as I can to wait. What finally happend to push you to finally do it?

• Posted

I've known most of my life i would have them replaced. I broke both if my kneed when i was 19....tore the meniscus and cruciate ligaments...had many many surgeries over my life because if it. Pain and instability and absence of any cartilage...bone on bone pain...thosr are the things thst made it finally timr to do it. In just 5 weeks my limp is gone and the pain when standing and walking is gone. I plan to have the other one done next year.

What are your concerns . What...besides age...is holding you back? Its good to think long and hard...its a major op.

My surgeon told me whrn i was 47 if i needed it then that hed doit but wanted to do keyhole surgery first to buy timr which got me 10 more years.

• Posted

I have had 5 surgeries since 19. I was told in 20 years it would need replaced. I'm hoping I get to 50 with out one.what type of work did you do before your surgery? I was terminated last January do to restrictions. I'm on long term and I don't know who would hire me since I wear a brace and have pain and need to ice it .

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I'm 55 and for last 3 years have had an operation to replace both hips and now a knee.

Wish they could cure arthritis.

Im very pleased with both hip surgeries and I'm hoping that the knee replacement will be as successful.

• Posted

Please don't be scared of having TKR - Total Knee Replacement because I had to wait 12 years for the surgery, and now 62, I realise that for me it meant that I had to more or less opt out of life and missed so many of the things I wanted to do.  It didn't hit me until a few months ago when I had my 2nd knee replacement and I can now enjoy what I want, no matter what it is.

• Posted

I wish too that they could cure arthritis, it's a hard gig isn't it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.