Trying to decide on multifocal or monovision IOLs

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had pretty much decided to get the Symfony multifocal. My husband likes his.  I have had monovision contacts for almost 20 years and had no trouble adjusting. But it just seems to me if both eyes are working together it’s got to be better.  Then the doctor told me in my case it’s a toss-up or maybe 51% in favor of monovision. 

What is making me re-think this is that my dad had macular degeneration

The tech sent me this email-

A family history of ARMD is something we like to take into account.  Having family history increases your risk of developing macular degenration (though doesn't guarantee it).  In folks that have macular degenration we typically advise against getting the multifocal as the quality will likely be limited.  In people who have no sign of macular degenration at the moment (such as yourself), we are certainly ok with people pursuing the multifocal.  However, if you wanted to pursue the most conservative approach, pursuing monovision would over the multifocal would likely be a better option if you were to develop macular degenration later in life.

Do I am really having trouble deciding. 

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

No appointment yet, but tomorrow I plan to call and schedule my exam. (I already saw the ophthalmologist over a year ago, and it's taken me all this time to decide which lenses I want.  In fact, I consulted two surgeons that perform IOL surgery, and both of them recommended their priciest lens... of course!  They even tried to hard-sell a medical credit card to make this major purchase possible for every poor soul who walks through their door. What a racket, IMO, especially for those who truly would be better off with the lenses that Medicare or insurance pay 100% for.  But I digress...)  Thank you so much for your kind offer to pray for me as I go through this procedure. This board has provided a wealth of information and assistance to me, and you and others have been so generous in sharing your experiences.  I will definitely do the same for others in the future, after going through it myself.

• Posted

So glad you’ve had time Lynne to think of your options.  Happened so fast for me I think I was in shock.  

Our system is so different in Canada (Medicare for everyone has it’s good benefits and the bad).  I think it’s only a matter of time before private companies do the majority of cataract surgeries through same offices lasik is done.  They call it PresbyVision.  Can’t believe they convince people to remove their healthy natural lenses for an artificial one.  Most aren’t even aware that’s what is being done.  One thing I do like on Canada through Medicare is we have an option for lenses but still have the surgery covered under Medicare.  A lot of places you have to go with monofocal lenses if you want the surgery covered.

I honestly believe all the lenses will provide a good outcome.  Decision is hardest on those who still have reading vision.  Careful thought has to be given to what you can live with.  Somehow when losing near vision as aging happens it is not all at once whereas with cataract surgery it does.

Good luck with your decision.  Keep us in the loop with when the surgery will be.

• Posted

I read an article by an  opthamologist who predicted that in the future,  as IOLs improve , the surgery will be done for most people in their 40’s so they’d never need reading glasses. 
    • Posted

Hi susan44499,

I have monovision IOLs.  As I mentioned to miguel20862 in his discussion, the choice was easy, done by my eye surgeon.  I am really happy with the outcome, and I rarely need my glasses for long distance vision. I can do everything without glasses, sewing, reading, shopping and just about any daily activities. I can even read the tiny subtitles on the TV screen without glasses on.

My husband have multifocal Symphony IOLs. He no longer needs glasses and his vision gets better by the months. He did not even bother about getting Lasik enhancement done.

I thought you might to know this. It seems that there is a new product now that is even better than Symphony IOLs. Not sure why, I can't post the link.

• Posted

The moderator often deletes anything with links in it.  If you post the name of the new lenses since Symfony let us know the name of them and we can google to find out more.  I would be interested out of curiosity.  I like your husband have the Symfony lenses and am pleased with them.  They do produce halos at night around certain light sources.  It had been some months since my surgeries so have gotten accustomed to these.
    • Posted

Hi Sue.An,

My husband when driving at night, wears night vision glasses which also block out the blue light from computer screen, iPad etc.

I do not have the name of the new lenses, but read about it on facebook @Boydvision.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks will look that up.  Does your husband find night vision glasses s help when driving?  I didn’t find they helped much / albeit they were a cheap pair.  Didn’t want to spend if they didn’t work.
    • Posted

He does not drive much at night, but yes his NV glasses help.  We also use them when watching tv programs and playing games on iPad and tablets.

We bought the ESP sunglasses from Costco. The day sunglasses are darker and cost $10 more.  Both the day and night sunglasses effectively block rays and winds from getting into our dry eyes, because their design.

We may look at other sport/golf sunglasses later on, such as 7Eye by Panoptx Sunglasses.

• Posted

I will have to look at our local Costco.  I am fortunate that I have adjusted and drivecst night with too many issues.  If it’s rainy or foggy of snowing hard it’s more challenging so try and avoid driving in those conditions.

Do you find you have to wear sunglasses inside for iPad and TV?  Is that because those give have glare or halos?  I don’t experience anything negative with inside lights. 

thanks for the suggestion of Costco - I am there often enough so have to check it out.

• Posted

We read about young people going blind playing computer games. Thus we are experimenting with the glasses to block the blue light, anti-glare and minimizing digital eye strain.
    • Posted

Wow I had not heard or read anything like that. I work at n front of a computer all day (not games though).   

Will dig further into it.  Most articles I read said to vary the distances to get your brain to adjust to near intermediate and distance.  I find myself  having to take more breaks from my computer to give my eyes a break (likely I don’t blink often enough) and to focus on something further away.

• Posted

Please take my reply above with a grain of salt.

Now I'm feeling guilty for spreading this story reported by nydailynews, scmp and dailymail last October. The 21yo woman lost vision in her right eye.  The doctors diagnosed her with retinal artery occlusion caused by severe eye strain, and she could also have an underlying medical issue. 

• Posted

Hi susan44499,

I have monovision IOLs.  As I mentioned to miguel20862 in his discussion, the choice was easy, done by my eye surgeon.  I am really happy with the outcome, and I rarely need my glasses for long distance vision. I can do everything without glasses, sewing, reading, shopping and just about any daily activities. I can even read the tiny subtitles on the TV screen without glasses on.

My husband have multifocal Symphony IOLs. He no longer needs glasses and his vision gets better by the months. He did not even bother about getting Lasik enhancement done.

I thought you might to know this. It seems that there is a new product now that is even better than Symphony IOLs.

Hope you find the right lens.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Now my 67 yr old sister ( 2 yrs older than me) has been diagnosed with macular degeneration, further complicating my decision. I just don’t know. I really wanted the Symfony. And I may never get AMD but there is a hereditary component. 

My optometrist said her patients who have opted for monovision are more likely to need reading glasses.

I have heard the blue light can interfere with sleep if you are on a computer or phone before bed. 

• Posted

Sorry to note that your sister has been diagnosed with AMD. That is tough to deal with, but the latest treatments can definitely stop its progression, even if those can't reverse the existing damage.

It is a tough choice between getting the monofocal lenses and Symfony after cataract surgery. Monofocal lenses will provide you clearer vision at night, while Symfony will reduce the need for glasses (you will most probably still need them for reading). Having a higher chance of AMD probably tilts the balance more towards getting a monofocal lens. My personal choice in your situation will be monofocal lenses, but having understood the pros and cons of both types, you are the one who should make that decision for your self.

Just as a minor side note, you (and some others) have been using the term monovision when they seem to have meant monofocal to describe the lens. Most of the lenses being used are monofocal, others being Symfony or multifocal lenses. Monovision is something completely different. That is when the lenses in the two eyes are set for the best focus at different distances. For example, I have a Symfony lens in my right eye, have a monofocal lens in my left eye, and use monovision because of setting one eye for distance and the other one for reading.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.