Trying to keep my OA to not evolve....

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello , i have been recently diagnosed with OA in my hips. I am 32 yo and i am quite scared considering i have my life ahead of me. The OA is at the early stages ... but i can feel day by day that it s moving forward and was wondering what can i do to slow or posibly stop it s progresion.. did t live a healthy life ... drinking .. partying .. eh ... and now it s kinda hard do make those changes ... but wanted to know ... what do you guys mean by healthy food ... what diet i dont have any pain.. should i take glucosamine... please any advice will do , and ty all for the kind advice in youre recent posts!!! Good health to all

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I recommend glucosamine - capsules not caplets or tablets, easier to digest.  Have two doses a day with a meal.  I take 1000 mg with breakfast and evening meal.  I have OA which has not developed much in the past thirty years (diagnosed at age 40, now 70).  Basically a diet with lots of fresh real food and hardly any sugar and definitely no artificial sweeteners will get you on the right path.  

I also recommend, if you can, get an evaluation from an experienced physiotherapist.  They can be very good at finding out if you have muscles which are causing problems and can prescribe the right exercises to sort you out,

Good luck!

• Posted

Can u please tell me what it is called .. the glucosamine .. like msn or som thing? Or what do you mean by fresh food .. only fruits and vegies .. coffee is out of the question .. .. btw i smoke should i quit ??  Do you do exercices everyday?? Tnx for the reply.. good health 
    • Posted

I meant avoid processed foods as you won't always know what you are eating and they are often full of sugar and chemicals.  Know what you are eating, and save the convenience foods for when you really need them, or for an occasional treat.  Glucosamine is a supplement you should be able to find in your pharmacy with the other vitamins and minerals.  If you can't find the right kind, shop around.  It is worth getting the powder in a capsule rather than the solid tablet, much easier on the stomach.  I buy 500 mg capsules and take two twice a day.  When I bought tablets or caplets by mistake I had to throw them away....  I found that a lower dose was not as effective and it was a friend who advised taking more, which I've now done for maybe fifteen years. 

Anyone who smokes should quit, you already know that!  And think of the money you'll save!

• Posted

So glucosamine daily?? Ty for youre responses i willl try to quit smoking.. very hard toughsad
    • Posted

I know about the smoking problem.  I don't smoke but I grew up with smoking parents.  My father died of lung cancer which had spread to his brain.  He never even got to retire, he died when he was 64, had been ill for four years.  He did live to meet his first two grandchildren, but they lost the benefit of knowing him while they were growing up.  The thing about giving up smoking is I think the first time you try won't work.  Maybe even the tenth time won't.  But the eleventh time, or the twentieth, may be the magic one, when you find you are going to be okay.  Good Luck!  🍀

• Posted

I quit smoking for 2 years but when i had the accident i started again because of depresion .. thinking i couldt go on living at the tought i would be a handicaped .. now i want to quit but i still have depresion and do no what to do 
    • Posted

It's rough, isn't it?  I don't know where you live, what supports you have available, friends, family, community engagement.  When I was having my major bout of depression a few years ago I ended up walking a lot.  I found getting out in nature was the best thing for me.  But I was also very lonely, still am, and I've never figured out how to deal with that.  I used to feel like there was this black empty space behind me, a chasm into which I would fall.  One day I decided to try and draw a picture of this image.  I drew a seated person, and started to colour in the space behind her (I was using black ink) and suddenly I realized I had drawn the trunk of a great tree. Something flipped inside me and ever since instead of a black space there is a tree supporting me.  Not to say that things have always gone smoothly since then, I've had some pretty bleak moments, but I've never plumbed the depths since.  

• Posted

Quit the smoking because it's bad for you on so many levels. But also quit worrying about this OA diagnosis. Based upon what you've told us your doctor sounds pretty irresponsible of else not up to date in his knowledge about 'OA'. 

If you want to do something constructive try and find a good physiotherapist - ideally a sports physio. See what kind of imbalances they can find. Chances are a bit of rehab and you'll be back to 100% and will never have a problem with this.

• Posted

At this moment i have my father who also has OA and my girlfried  and a couple of friends and i am thankfull for that but i can relate to youre fealings .. since i have this problem i started to see life diferently .i m so sorry peoplehave to go trough this.Btw Anhaga can u tell me what kind of glucosamine u take .. i mean what firm so i can give it a search and see if i can find it for myself cuz all i found woas some cheap stuf.... MSM but i don t think that is it .. plus there are white and there are tablets in the shape of capsules. Ty and hope to hear from you 
    • Posted

They found osteophites on my xray s ... marginal ones and i started to feel a bit stiff or numb when i wake up... dono how to put it... but i think its from the OA.i will try to quit smoking and will try to get on a healthy diet and see what hapenes.btw i have no pain so far but i gues that is tipical of OA in the first stages .tyfor youre replay and good health

• Posted

Everyone has radiographic OA!!! It's usually totally benign and harmless. If you don't have pain then, in the UK at least, you won't get an OA diagnosis. 'Radiographic OA' - without the presence of pain is nothing to worry about. Seriously, pretty much everyone has radiographic oa somewhere in their body. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.