ultrasound showed thickening of the lining of the womb

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, i've just joined and thought i might get some help as i am very worried...i went for a scan today and they said i had thickening in the womb...i stupidly googled it and now i'm thinking the worse as cancer came up...i only went for the scan because of heavy periods...so heavy i need to take iron tabs as my  iron and zinc are low...i just thought it was the start of menopause...anyone else had this and every thing ok! thanks alot!

2 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi did they tell you what the thickness was? mine was 11mm at mri and I had just finished a course of norethesterone to stop a very very heavy 3 week bleed ! I've had heavy periods for years and also on iron tablets and just recently been diagnosed with endometriosis At 49! So now I know my reason for horrendous periods over the years! I think peri menopause and the start of menopause can really muck us up like our womb linings.im due a hysteroscopy to checks things.the gyno will probably suggest this too let us all know the outcome. Michelle xx

• Posted

hi Michelle, No the dr did not say what the thickness was, he did say he couldn't see anything else like cist...just that i will need to see a gynogologist...i wasn't worried until i googled it though...i have had heavy periods every 18 days i bleed for 5 days...could do with a blood transfusion im sooo tired...i will let u know the outcome....its annoying wen people don't finish there posts with an outcome

• Posted

I suffer terribly with my periods too after a 3 week bleed in March Dr put me on norethesterone which stopped it but the weeks breaks where I have a period are horrendous huge clots and so so heavy 2 towels worn at all torn and flood every single time xx
    • Posted

Jane, i would think the sonographer was just telling you your lining was thick .....because it was..... not because he thinks that it is a problem, you are peri and bleeding heavy so its not going to be thin. He is probably refering you to the gyno to help with the bleeding

When i was scanned when i was 45 two dermoid cysts were found, he also said i had very thick lining but nothing was ever done about that, and i didnt think anything of it, they just the removed the cysts.

I had really heavy bleeding at your age, i ended up going to a&e as i though i would run out blood!, they kept me in for the day and sent me home with a packet of pills....no scan just an internal.

So what im trying to say is dont worry.

• Posted

Thanks Jacky, thats good to know and thanks i will try not to worry too much about it, how long did your heavy periods last..and how are you now x
    • Posted

I cant really remember how long it lasted, a good few weeks i think. I spent most of the time on the toilet. Everybody goes through different experiences  in peri...a good poo could start me bleeding for some reason redface

Im doing ok thanks.

• Posted

I have suffered with beavy periods since i startes them but in the last yeat they got to the point that i was flooding my shoes full after standing sometimes and having to get up due to flooding actually waking me up 2 or 3 nights a period. And the clots....sometimes feels like i am passing a basebalk....lovely while standing in line at the atore. This lasted for months but is now starting to ease up. I finallt statted taking iron pills and they have really helped.
    • Posted

I'm having a period like yours right now dear doe ????clots size of tennis balls !!! Stops and starts it's awful and I've always suffered too flooding every month and first two nights up on the hour every hour with a beach towel on my bed !!!! I take iron tablets too and Dr put me on progesterone xx

• Posted

Deardoe mines the same and been like this for about 2 years...no sign of it easing up though...i wear 3 pads and a tampax...they all flood within an hr....horrible it is...i think if i get refered for a hystorectomy i will have one just to be done with the lot of it.
    • Posted

I'm like This Jane and also suffer huge clots ! Do you get this?my bad days last 3 days flooding then gets lighter and I'm not sure if progesterone is helping or not as my weeks break period this month the clots were like tennis balls !!! I'm 49 x

• Posted

yes michelle, but the clots are not huge though...i just lose lots of blood for the first 3 days....its like i have wet myself..you could ring the pads out and i can't go out anywere incase it comes through my clothes,...no wonder we are all tired...the iron tablets seem to help..but they do make me feel a bit sick.

• Posted

Forgott to say i am 48 x
  • Posted

I have the same thing and I'm post menopause I'm scared horrible too ! I have a biospy scheduled for Aug 2. Mine measured 9mm :-( My was found by transvaginal ultra sound , what type of scan was yours? Are you menopause ? What are they doing for you next and when?

• Posted

Hi Carol, mine was an untrasound scan....im guessing i may have to have a travnsvaginal one next....not sure though....it will take about 10 days now for my dr to get the results of my scan ...then i will wait ages for a gyno appointment...things will be pretty slow is my guess...i have been perimenopausal for a few years now.
    • Posted

Im in the same boat as you.......post menopause with a slightly thick lining...dont know what slightly means. Now ive got to wait for my doctor to recieve the results and decide what to do. The sonographer was questioning if i am peri or post because i has symptoms of ovulation 2 weeks before a light 2 day period. Its been 2 years since my last period.

No doubt this will drag on for a while

• Posted

oh i know how you feel Carol, it's a waiting worrying game now....anyway i will be sure to put my fianl outcome on here..just to update everyone of my outcome, in the hope it will help other woman out who have the same problem...i am going to try not to worry until i have fianl results....so i shall be back for sure in a month or so x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.