ultrasound showed thickening of the lining of the womb

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, i've just joined and thought i might get some help as i am very worried...i went for a scan today and they said i had thickening in the womb...i stupidly googled it and now i'm thinking the worse as cancer came up...i only went for the scan because of heavy periods...so heavy i need to take iron tabs as my  iron and zinc are low...i just thought it was the start of menopause...anyone else had this and every thing ok! thanks alot!

2 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jane,I went through this scare in my thirties,went in for a pelvic,doc sent me in for an ultrasound,i was freaked out for a few weeks as I had to have a biopsy. Turned out its fairly normal to have thickening of the lining for some women. I had heavy periods also. Only thing I did have was fibroid that I never had removed. Im now almost 60. After menopause fibroids usually shrink down to nothing. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks lee, i hope its nothing...i have just had a call fro the drs as they got my results today and need to discuss it with me.My appointment is on monday afternoon...so will UPDATE then xx
    • Posted

Jane, did they give you some kind of assuarnce and what it was, and then say they would discuss it Monday or told you nothing?
    • Posted

I had the same happen to me a call and I made an appt to see Dr good luck and please update Monday xx
    • Posted

No carol they just said i need to come in and dicuss it...i said i already know i have thickening in my womb so tell the dr to just refer me to a gynogologist, and she said NO you need to come in and see the dr x
    • Posted

will do michelle..good luck at your appointment and let me know how u get on x
    • Posted

Jane, so you havent had the uterus biopsy done yet?  I get my done Tuesday Aug2  my appt. time is 3:00 Everyone please pray they are able to get the uterus tissue this time this is my second attempt. I am a nervous wreack! 
    • Posted

no carol, not had that done yet...it doesn't sound nice though and i'm trying not to google it lol...but good luck on tues i hope they get what they need xx

• Posted

Hi sorry confused you it was what happened to me after my scan last November,I had a call and made the appt,when I got there the Dr said I have referred you to gyno as you have a complex cyst,so eventually after 3 scans and an mri endometriosis was diagnosed xx
    • Posted

Michellestar, can women in menoapsue have endometriosis? Does or can endometriosis cause thicken of the lining of the uterus? Can endometriosis cause post menoapuse bleeding?  I am to scred and numb to ever search again because everything is C. 
    • Posted

Please please do not worry my womb lining is thick too mri showed it at 11 mm and I've got to have a hysteroscopy as a small clot showed up as well.thick lining can be common and nothing to worry about it but they like to check that's all.i had one but it failed as got too uncomfortable so I have to have a GA next time.im not sure if endo causes a thick womb lining but I have suffered very heavy periods all my life clots galore ! 3 scans showed lining but nothing to worry about I think it's normal in some women xx

• Posted

Please Do Not Google Its all the worst scenarios on there !! Believe me I've had uterine cancer ovarian cancer bloody everything Google diagnosed me and it was in fact endometriosis xx do not worry xxx

• Posted

I guess I worry much more because it had been 19 mos since last period and I am post menopause and had a heavy period after 19 months of not having one thats why i'm seriously scared out of my wits! Don't know if my situation is like anyone elses here the post menopause bleeding and have thick lining.  I did not know they can measure it with MRI. My first biospy of the uterus failed too in office trying again Tuesday because my cervix is closed. Anyone got it done in office with a closed cercvix?  they are giving you under GA will that be done in office or operating room? 

• Posted

In hospital my next one tho I would much prefer another try at local like you.im in UK are you ? I have read it's common in post menopausal women to experince this and the majority it's all turned out good and I read a lot lol !! I'm

On norethesterone to stop my bleeding I had in March but having a weeks break and my period is the worst its ever been with flooding and huge clots this has scared me too,but I've read (googled ) this can happen while being on these tablets ! Xx

• Posted

well I'm not on any tablets or HRT. Michellestar you are not post menopause correct? I live in Kentucky USA. Tuesday in the office when he tries my again my gyn is going to try giving me shots in cervix to try and numb me not sure if that will help or not my cervix is closed. Has anyone else here had the shots in cervix to numb it for a uterus biospy and did it help? Please respone if you have.

• Posted

I'm having a uterus biospy done in office this will be my second attempt. I'm sure he will look with that powerful magnifying glass not sure though

• Posted

Carol i understand your anxiety as im going through the same as you at the moment....i dont know if you read my post but im postmenopausal and have had bleeding and have a thickened lining.

I do want to know whats going on but im not overly stressing about it. There are lots of reasons for bleeding and thick lining after menopause, only 10% are anything serious.It can be polyps, fibroids, hyperplasia. Hyperplasia  takes ten to twelve years from the time it begins to grow for it to develop into endometrial cancer, so i feel that the odds of anything serious are in my favour......if not its the type of cancer thats usually curable. Thats the way im looking at it anyway.

• Posted

I see maybe the shots will help your cervix relax ? Have a try I look forward to your update 😊when I had my hysteroscopy he only got halfway up through cervix as it just got too painful but I had no anaesthetic nothing I would like to give it a try like that but gyn suggested GA .im 49 peri menopausal xx
    • Posted

And this is the way to look at it 😊😊and not go on google !!!! Good luck xxx
    • Posted

Is that what they call a hysteroscopy in UK ? A small tube with a camera at end going through cervix and into womb to toe biopsy? X
    • Posted

I must of missed your orginal, what was your measurments of the lining of the uterus? Mine was 9mm or was yours much less and dont need a biopsy?
    • Posted

hi i went fir a scan today and my lining is at 15 mm im worried but not going to think about it to much, i bled forover four months and stoped this week,

the scan showed cysts were id had a c section for my twins 8 years ago bit no fibroids at all so i. worried as if iv bled for so long how come my lining is so very thick. il just have to see were i go from here, but being as my bleeding has stooed im a bit more relieved for now.

• Posted

slightly thick...whatever that means. Yes I will need a biopsy because it shouldnt be thick post menopause. im still waiting for my doctor to recieve the results and decide what to do next.
    • Posted

Yeah slightly thick is lot less then 9mm I thought on slightly they dont even need a biopsy.
    • Posted

I think the same in March I had a heavy 3 week bleed and after my lining was 11mm but I got told it can go up to 15-20 mm wen due on a period and lowers right back down when period is finished.but I thought why is my lining at 11 mm when I have been heavily bleeding fro three weeks doesn't seem right !! X

• Posted

I guess its okay as long as your not post menopause and have a period like I did at post menopause. I thought you have to only  worry about it if you are menopause only.
    • Posted

yer maybe i do t need to worry so much. i think i was more worried when i was just. bleeding all the time thought it would never end its so scary to blled for so many months and its just not normal wether befor or after meno.

• Posted

Anything over normal im sure they would biopsy. There's no point in having a normal range otherwise.

• Posted

Jacky, so you already had your uterus biopsy done? Did you have it done in office was your cervix closed?  Did they give you anything before doing biopsy?
    • Posted

No I haven't had it done yet..as I said in the last post I'm waiting for the scan results to get to my doctors, then he will decide on the next cause of action

• Posted

oh okay...Guess with been so nervous and worrying about Tuesday that I misunderstood.
    • Posted

I think they are a little bit more concerned post menopause but its only slight.you will be fine I'm sure it's so common xx

• Posted

I was the same extremely worried at 24 days bleeding so dr put me on notethesterone and it stopped it but it was so worrying then mri picked up a small endometrial clot so I think my bleeding must have come from there,still spotting on notethesterone still now ! X
    • Posted

My biospy of the uterus is Tuesday and I have had fear so strong I can hardly stand it and getting worse!! My cervix is closed making it even worse!  I'm having it done in office again this is second attempt, this time i think I will just do the shots in the cervix and try to bare it. HAS anyone had the shots in the cervix and did it help any? He said he can give me something to dialate the uterus what does that mean? I can't swallow anything that would do that can I? Isn't there a tool they use and why doesnt he have it! I also read on internet they use a spray to numb cercix if that be the case why does he only say shots? Please respond as soon as possible because I am about to jump out of my skin going to be a long night and tomorrow I dont even know! 

• Posted

Gosh Carol,i have no idea. Just sending you a hug. I know how scarey it can be. Please keep us posted. Wishing you a good outcome.
    • Posted

Hi carol.....it may be a good idea to call and ask whoever is doing the procedure exactly what it all entails. Tell them how anxious you are and they my be able to put your mind at rest a bit more.

Ive now got to have the same done in the next two weeks so you can tell me all about it soon.....no gruesome facts thoughsmile

• Posted

Hope all goes well tomorro carol...i should have my biopsy soon...please let me know how yu get on x good luck xx
    • Posted

How did it go carol? ok i hope....got mine Tuesday.
    • Posted

We sound similar jacky - 3-4 weeks for results. 17mm thickening but I am only 46 so he wasn't sure if I should worry or not. 

I hope owe it is all good for you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.