Unblocking ear/eustachian tube

Posted , 29 users are following.

I have had this problem over and over for years - always the right ear is worse or the only one. Have given up most dairy, have a good diet.

Have taken lots of different antibiotics etc and nose sprays and none of it helps. Now the antibiotics I take also give me a bad stomach and headaches etc Feel worse than ever. Have tried the various breathing techniques , yawning etc none of it works. Got an ear popper which relieves it a bit but then it is bac\k to square one.

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Carmel,

Are you taking the reflux pills now and are they not helping with the ear fullness. If not that is so disappointing as I was going to try that as I am desperate. It seems to have helped you last year. Let me know

As for me I have had this in both ears for 4 weeks. No cold nothing. Just started out of nowwhere during the really hot weather I live in kent.

I am very anxious with it which is unlike me but have been using beconase steroid spray and apparently it is a side effect. I wake up feeling claustophobic and am constantly poking my ears moving my jaw to try to pop them. They will pop for a moment but not fully and then go straight back. One minute one side is worse then the next I know weird. Could be allergies but I am at a loss had my ears microsyringed as I had a lot of wax but it made nomdifference just cost me £200 as I am so desperate I saw a ent privately.

The pressure is awful and in large places I can hardly bare the noise it is ruining our lives. There are so many depressing stories out there imam terrified I am stuck like this forever. If it came and went I could cope.

Like you i cannot function as I feel locked into myself. I dont sleep as I wake up and panic.

Any advice

Marua

• Posted

Hi Maria. We are in the same boat, only mine has been there since about May this time. It is worth trying the proton pump inhibitors I think once the ears are fine to stop them geting that way again, but once they are full or pressured you cannot use the pp to stop it, it is too late.

It was the cimitidine, not the proton pump inhibitors that helped me, they did not help at all. I also take two multi vitamin pills each day, fibre capsules, omega 3, and an antioxidant pill each day because medication ca\n deplete our vitamins and minerals and leave us under nourished which can cause more side effects. I can hear but it is a bit muffled. have you tried the steam for thenose and ears? Have you tried an ear popper ear massager?

I tried that and it sort of helped very temporarily.

I think once the ear is full someone has to empty it and then if you do the right things it stops it being full again.

Right now I am vedry anti social, not wanting to go out or see anyone and not able to concentrate on work or relax. How are you?

• Posted

Hi Carmel

Once again apologies for the garbled message wish I knew how to delete it. Sorry you have had this since may. I have had it 4 weeks and i am cracking up. Could you let me know if you have had these attacks with your ears before and if they come and go as it would help to know it is not permanent. Also how long when you have had it before did it take to ease. Really would appreciate it.

I have an awful lot of trouble going into noisy environments does the sounds seem louder and unbearable to you.

Saw an ent consultant last night and he said edt tested pressure in ears which were normal and basically said there is nothing he can give me. I was so upset he was being honest but how can we live with this. My husband just thinks I have blocked ears and get on with it. How are your family with it all my life feels like its over and there are no success stories out there.

I have had no infection. How did yours start and when.

Any help makes such a difference.

Regards

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria. I am happy to chat to you on the phone if you like, I am also in the UK, but I dont do private messaging on here. My problems started years ago where I kept getting a blocked nose, then polyps in nose, headaches and ears being pressured or feeling full. Whenever it happened I was suicidal with it, could hardly move and it all hurt so much, could not do a thing. The doctor gave me antibiotics and steroids and it would clear up but then a month or two later it came back. This went on for years. The ENT guy said to have an operation to remove bits of skin and bone from the nose to help me breath, which they did and it does help me breath, but it doesnt change anything else.

I started to eat better, less sugar, less salt, more vegetables and fruit and less refined and processed foods. A lot more vitamins and minerals. and This has helped. It means when I get it it is not so bad.

Then last year I was feeling sort of ok and my stomach started to hurt a great deal constantly. The doctor said it was ulcers and put me on proton pump inhibitors with a lot of trial and error and not being able to take some because of side effects. Eventually it was decided better to take a different type of pp and took cimitidine. Quite by chance I noticed that my headaches went and my ears and nose felt much better. I nagged the doctor t o let me have them forever because even if the stomach did not get better at least the headaches had gone. So this was agreed.

I do a lot of research, I dont just listen to the doctor and follow him like a lamb to the slaughter.

Three years ago when I had been taking lots of antibiotics and steroids over and over I became so weak physically and mentally I could hardly move. YOu can imagine how bad this was as I

• Posted

part 2... I could hardly move or do a thing, and I was alone with work to do to pay the bills and a house and pets to take care of. I was suicidal. It was a huge thing just to go up the stairs to get to bed. The doctor told me it wsa normal for someone of 54 to be that way as they get older! Even though I was only 54 and it was sudden. I read and researched as best I could, it wasnt easy as my memory and concentrate had gone to pot, but it all seemed to point to how the biotics had killed the good bacteria, so I ate a lot of yoghurt and when I got a bit better made my own and gradually the memory problem went and the strength came back. The stupid doctor had told me to move into a bungalow! How the f*** would I be able to do that if I can hardly move? and cant even go upstairs?! And why should I?

Anyway it would have been quicker and cheaper to get a lift put into the house.

I am now taking the cimetidine because every time I stop taking it I get a bad cough and headaches. The doctor has agreed that it is silent acid reflux that causes this.

Right now I am very low and finding it hard to do anything or concentrate because for about four days I have had bad nausea and find it hard to eat. I dont want to go out or see anyone, so grumpy, just sitting there all day.

You asked about family. The only family I have is my mother along way away. We speak on phone but she is the sort who goes on about pull your socks up and snap out of it. Very understanding and helpful - not. I do have a friend I have known for a while, a gentleman, I am fond of, but I hate to see him when I feel so ill, I get scared that I am bad company, boring, and am scared he will lose interest.

At the same time I am bored and lonely. But I dont want to see him, bore him and then lose him.

He is away visiting his family for a few days and is expecting to see me monday. I am struggling to take care of work, the house and my pets and only doing what needs doing. How are you today?

• Posted

Hi Carmel,

I am so so sorry what a horrid time you are having and to go through it alone. If I can support you in any way I will.

I cannot really give a telephone no. On her and neither should you as it is open to everyone but we will continue to chat on her. Would willingly give you my e mail address but I am 62 and a bit weiry of putting it on the net.

Can I ask do you get periods when the ear problem goes or have you had it constantly since it started. This would help me a lot to think it will resolve for a while at least.

I too have had stomach problems. Was given lanzoprazole but it made me feel sick. I took aloe vera juice and manuka honey. I do not tolerate drugs well. Even the beconase.

I really think we might have the ear probs due to acid going up in the night.if it cann reach your lungs, throat why not your ears its proven with babies and some adults have small tubes. My consultant said my eardrums are very small so perhaps my tubes are too.

Please contact me any time I only wish I could say more but not on here

You are not alone

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria. You are such a nice person. I would like to support you more too. I think you are right, that it is connected with gunk going up into our ears from our stomaches. Twice I had it where I had a glass of orange juice and then woosh my right ear was very full and then stays that way.

I have opened my private messages so that you can mail me in private if you would like to chat on phone and exchange numbers.

One of the things I found in my research was about the "cat flap" as I call it in the stomach where if it is loose and weak it allows gunk to come up and that can go in ears and cause headaches cough etc. Once you have got rid of it if you take something then it stops it happening again, which is why I take the cimetidine, but because the right ear is full it wont get rid of that fullness. Sometiems the ear hurts other times not. But I have taken so many different antibiotics over the past three months and all they have done is given me other problems. It makes sense to say that if your eardrums are small your tubes would be too. But maybe it is also about blocked tubes? I wonder too if the sprays etc are a good idea because so9metimes they solidify what is in our ears and then it is harder to shift it.

Think about an ear popper. And it might be worth the steam treatment with some salt and peppermint or eucalyptus as it is virtually free and at least makes you feel you are doing something, even if it doesnt help your ear it clears out your nose and head for a bit. Feel free to ask me anything you think would help you. What are you doing today?

• Posted

Hi Carmel,

Perhaps I am being thick but can I ask again do you have the ear fullness etc. In periods of a few weeks months then they are ok and then back to blocked or have you had it 24 7 for years. Please I hope not.

Do you feel sounds are louder or echoey in large noisy spaces.

Just the 2 questions would mean a lot if you could answer.

Today I have been vacuuming etc but it is hard due to the noise. Just sitting panicking in the conservatory now.

Will private message you and tell you more

Regards

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria. When I used to take the antibiotics and steroids it would clear up and then come back months later. It is always the right ear that is blocked or hurts or feels full.

The sounds are not louder or echoey. It is as if someone has poured water or concrete in my ear and sometims painful.

I have been trying to do some work on the computer today, I might as well or I just sit there doing noting and it is a long day and nothing gets done. I know what you mean about sitting and panicking, itis horrible.

• Posted

Hi Maria

I've been reading your discussion with Carmel and I too am suffering the same as you. 

I have however been using a mixture of oil and warm water twice a day for two days as a rinse with significant improvement .  

It appears if it's wax and water that's out of balance it can take a while to recover. From what I've read it can take seven days. Anyway just wanted to share my findings X hope you're improving

• Posted

That is interesting Jacqui. But it depends on what causes the ear to be full. When it is from acid reflux the only way forward is to stop the gunk coming up into the ear.
    • Posted

Hi jacqui,

Still no improvement I am afraid. Have even tried osteopathy.

I had had wax in my ears but had them microsyringed but it made no difference.

Like many of us have spent hours researching this as mine started not with a cold but a loud noise. Found something called acoustic shock whoch explains all my symptoms but like etd has no specific cure.

I have found this mentally very difficult to deal with as both ears are involved but am trying to be calmer now and let nature take its course.

It is all the stories on here fro people who have had it years that caused my anxiety but now I realise everyones symptoms may be the same but not the cause so consequently not the outcome.

I am sure yours will resolve soon if not ask your dr to refer you for microsuctioning much better then water being forced in your ears.

Maria

• Posted

Hi both

Yes I think mine is pretty standard..or at least I hope it is X it was brought on from . swimming...I ignored it at first but it's gradually become worse. I will keep using the flush and if that fails I guess it'll be the doctors. 

I feel for you both as although mine is temporary and perhaps from a different cause it's bloody horrid and is interfering with every day activities. We never know how annoying something can be until we are the sufferer sad 

take care ladies 

• Posted

Hi Carmel,

Are you taking the reflux pills now and are they not helping with the ear fullness. If not that is so disappointing as I was going to try that as I am desperate. It seems to have helped you last year. Let me know

As for me I have had this in both ears for 4 weeks. No cold nothing. Just started out of nowwhere during the really hot weather I live in kent.

I am very anxious with it which is unlike me but have been using beconase steroid spray and apparently it is a side effect. I wake up feeling claustophobic and am constantly poking my ears moving my jaw to try to pop them. They will pop for a moment but not fully and then go straight back. One minute one side is worse then th

e other i know weird.

Did yours start with an infection and do you have it 24 7 and for how long you said originally you had had it on and off.

I understand your despair as I am the same

en the other I know weird.

Did yours start with an infection and have you had it constantly for years. I have

e next I know weird. Could be allergies but I am at a loss had my ears microsyring

ed as I had a lot of wax but it made no difference just cost me £200 as I am so des

perate I saw a ent privately.

The pressure is awful and in large places I can hardly bare the noise it is ruining our lives. There are so many depressing stories out there imam terrified I am stuck like this forever. If it came and went I could cope.

Like you i cannot function as I feel locked into myself. I dont sleep as I wake up and panic.

Any advice

Marua

• Posted

Hi maria

Have you tried putting a musical tuning fork in the centre of you forehead.

It worked for me. Within seconds I was swallowing yucky stuff.  This continued for hours but be careful of the dizziness when your ears are draining.

48 hours later and my deaf ear is better than my good 1.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.