Uncomfortable feeling Under Left Lower Ribs and varying bowel movements

Posted , 173 users are following.

To try cut a long story as short as I can I have basically had an uncomfortable feeling under my lower left ribs and some irregular bowel movements for the last 3 months that don't seem to show any signs of disappearing. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

With regards to the feeling in the ribs at no point has it been massively painful to the point where I have needed to take any pain killers or anything like that. It just feels more uncomfortable than anything else rather than painful as if there is something under my ribs that should be there. The lower left ribs feel bruised to touch but again not that painful.

I play football and go to the gym and have been able to continue both without any trouble or issues.

With regards to my bowels they have just been a bit all over the place since it started really. At first I kind of felt constipated and was having bowel movements but size and quantity wise there wasn't as much coming out as normal or as expected and had a feeling of not fully emptying.

In the last month that has changed slightly in that I have had a couple of what I would call regular sized and quantity movements but they seem to happen every 3 or 4 days and in between the movements are the fairly small quantities mentioned and usually very irregular shapes and sizes although the feeling of not emptying seems to have gone or reduced.

I have been to see my GP 3 or four times since this started. First couple of times they had a feel around and couldn't feel anything untoward and suggested it was just a bit of constipation so suggest some over the counter laxitives and then when that didnt work prescribed some Laxido sachets which again didnt do anything really.

I have now had a blood test and an chest xray that I am awaiting the results of and have an ultrasound booked in but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

In the meantime I just really suffering a bit mentally not knowing what this is and obviously worrying this could be something serious. Just keep searching and searching online and must have diagnosed myself with about 25 different things which I know is silly but can't help it. I am someone that never usually gets ill so this is very out of the ordinary for me.

I am only 32 and lead a pretty active lifestyle, eat well, don't smoke and don't drink too much, weight and BMI is all in the decent range - all things which my GP keeps telling me means that it being something serious is unlikely but at the same time it doesn't show any sign of easing up.

Not had any diarrhea at all in the 3 months although stools have been pretty soft the whole time even when not much is coming out. Not had any blood in my stools that I have been able to notice.

Its just so frustrating as for 3 months whilst I have been able to go to work etc I just feel like I am constantly at about 70%. I feel ok physically but not great and mentally I just feel shot to pieces.

Obviously I need to wait for my results and take from there but just seems such a drawn out affair to try and convince GP that something just doesn't feel right and just wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar to this?

8 likes, 434 replies

434 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey everyone! 

So I didn’t wait until April to go to the doctor again. I went two days ago and this time I had a third opinion lol.

I told the new dr all my symptoms (stomach issues, breast discomfort, swollen lymph node...) and he asked me tons of questions about any changes in my life, diet, etc

He concluded that the vitamin D supplements I’m taking could be responsible for a lot of my symptoms. I could be having a reaction to one or more of the ingredients and he advised me to stop taking the supplements for now and see how I do. 

I have to say, it makes sense to me because within 3-5 days of starting the supplements I found the swollen lymph node and the breast pain started, I just never connected the dots!

As for the stomach issues which are way way better now than when this all started, he said it could be a hiatal hernia because those hernias usually cause the trapped air that my x rays showed. 

He said most people have them but never even know because most people just think they’re having a stomach ache and then forget about it. 

Obviously I won’t know for sure if that’s what it is unless I get a camera in my body which I don’t know if I’ll do or not... 

Bottom line is, all this started after an extremely stressful time in my life, worse than any stress I’ve ever felt! 

My stomach is doing so much better now, the uncomfortable feeling sometimes comes and goes very faintly but definitely not like it used to. 

As for the other symptoms I will see what happens after two weeks of not taking the vit d supplements. 

• Posted

The treatment for costochronditis is anti-inflammatories either from doctor or self bought if you dont get on with strong ones,I don't because of my IBS.You pretty much have to look after yourself the same way as you would if you had pulled muscles,no lifting,stretching etc.Try heat on the area for some relief,wheat bag or hot water bottle.I have had it twice(I wished it had been as simple as pulled muscles)and it can be a long road to recovery most likely months rather than weeks but it does go eventually. 

• Posted

Well start here . Had all the same symptoms you have , Even the brain fog to the small poops , sharp pain under my left rib cage . I had many blood tests , 3 mri"s 2 ct scans , Even 2 Colon Tests , Nothing , All Clean , For 3 Years I delt with the pain and problems , I stopped by a Chinese herb store and asked for some help , I talked for 15 minutes , He said he cant give me anything for my problems , But he said I have a bad diet and that I have IBS  , So I read the diet for IBS on google  , I cut out all the bad things that day , 2 weeks later no more pain , no more feeling tired , OMG THE BEST I FELT IN YEARS !!! , I tried some of the things in the diet that I was not to eat , Guess what ? I found 4 major triggers in my diet .... Now I cant eat egg yolks , red meat , no caffeine , a can of coke will hurt me soooo much OMG So to all of you , give it a try for 2 weeks , It wont cost you a dime !!!!!!

• Posted

Well start here . Had all the same symptoms you have , Even the brain fog to the small poops , sharp pain under my left rib cage . I had many blood tests , 3 mri"s 2 ct scans , Even 2 Colon Tests , Nothing , All Clean , For 3 Years I delt with the pain and problems , I stopped by a Chinese herb store and asked for some help , I talked for 15 minutes , He said he cant give me anything for my problems , But he said I have a bad diet and that I have IBS  , So I read the diet for IBS on google  , I cut out all the bad things that day , 2 weeks later no more pain , no more feeling tired , OMG THE BEST I FELT IN YEARS !!! , I tried some of the things in the diet that I was not to eat , Guess what ? I found 4 major triggers in my diet .... Now I cant eat egg yolks , red meat , no caffeine , a can of coke will hurt me soooo much OMG So to all of you , give it a try for 2 weeks , It wont cost you a dime !!!!!!

• Posted

I have the EXACT same symptoms as a lot of the people here. The dull pain under my lower left ribcage, which tends to be worse when I lay on my left side or in certain positions. I have described it to my doctor like it feels like something is there. I was actually scared when it started that I was growing a tumor or something. The weirdest part about reading all of your posts, is most of you are saying it started with a virus . . mine did too. My doctor told me I had contracted a sexually transmitted virus that remains dormant in your body forever. When they did a colonoscopy on me, they told me I had an ulcer inside and when they biopsied the ulcer, it was caused by the virus I have. I'm thinking all of these symptoms are due to a virus that stays in your body for the rest of your life. They told me that the virus is potentially harmless and common, but they also didn't know much about it or it's general symptoms. 

For me, it seems like it flares up randomly. I had a BAD flare-up last November that literally had me in and out of the hospital. Since then, it has subsided a lot but I am currently having a flare up again which started this week. That dull pain under my rib is back and it's actually causing my chest and back to really hurt. Sometimes it even makes it difficult to catch a full breath. 

If anyone happens to experience any of this, mention the virus thing to your doctor and see if they can run any tests. 

I'm very curious to see if anyone else can confirm that this is in fact from a virus. It's so frustrating that doctors don't know about this!

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

I have the same symptoms you are describing.  I actually have a lesion type bruise on the left side where

the discomfort is felt.  Doctors just gave me a cream for it..  frown  

Interesting that you mention a type of virus, as I actually felt better when I was prescribed antibiotics for an infection i had last year.  I'm going to ask my doctor about this virus you mention, also will google any type of colon/intestinal virus.  My last colonoscopy didn't detect an ulcer though..  

I also have bouts of not being able to take a full breath and shortness of breath.  

• Posted

I too always feel better after taking antibiotics and mine started with a virus. However, I've been wondering if there isn't also a nerve/ muscle connection somewhere. The vagus nerve runs all through your body and I have neck,back and spine problems. Does anyone else have those injuries? Whenever I have my husband push on or massage my back I always feel some relief and can also breath better

• Posted

I've had the pain since last Spring, so almost a year.  It comes and goes.. but it is usually there.  Sometimes I feel it on my right side now too.   I've had a colonoscopy, and endoscopy, ultrasound on and in my ovaries, uterus, and cervix, stomach ultrasound last summer, and blood tests.  Always comes up with nothing being wrong.  Am in Peri-menapause.. and haven't had my period in 2 1/2 months now (yay!).. but my periods were very heavy for a while there - I am also anemic from that.  I found a new doctor that I like, and she thinks it is muscular-skeletal.. so I just started seeing a chiropractor about two weeks ago.  If it works.. I'll let you all know! :-)

• Posted

I also think he it's related to muscles, in my case created by stress. I have been able to get some relief from myofascial massage, it's not practiced by a lot of people in my area. I tried a couple other types before my chiropractor told me about this myofascial. I get one about ever six weeks. I pray that you find some relief.

• Posted

• Posted

Hi Tracy I too have been going through exactly what has been described here I am also PM And to the truth I think it’s all come on basically since I started I went for eight months without a period and then all the sun out of the blue another one now it’s been about four months but all along having the store gesture and problems and I need recently having the left hand side pain. Last year after having left hand shoulder pain middle back pain and pain in the stomach when I ate I was taken in for an endoscopy it was shown to have a slight hi I just hernia and also the doctor said that I had what looks like the beginnings of coeliac’s. He sent me for a blood test to confirm which came back negative and nothing really was done since then he sort of came to the conclusion it was irritable be last year after having left hand shoulder pain middle back pain and pain in the stomach when I ate I was taken in for an endoscopy it was shown to have a slight hi I just hernia and also the doctor said that I had what looks like the beginnings of coeliac‘s. He sent me for blood test to confirm which came back negative nothing really was done since then he sort of came to the conclusion it was irritable bowel  and because I wasn’t diagnosed with anything in particular I wasn’t too worried about eating gluten etc even though I didn’t normally eat it on a regular basis so after a few months of carrying on basically as normal I start to get a pain in my left upper abdomen directly under my ribs towards the middle. The pain seems almost gassy like a bubble is gonna burst inside it’s not a horrific amount of pain but it’s enough to be annoying and has now become enough to wake me up during the night it almost feels like I want to pass gas but I just can’t  and even when I do it doesn’t really make any difference. I am trying a diet again I’ve no gluten and went for the last week without any pain but for some reason maybe it was after I drink some alcohol it has come back again and seems it is there to stay. It seems to get worse after I’ve eaten and I can definitely feel it in my left shoulder blade feels like a steering pain like someone is sticking very pointed knife or pain right into the middle of my shoulder blade. Sometimes I feel nauseous And sometimes I feel a little bit breathless or sometimes even a little bit jittery. I have heard that perimenopause can bring on a whole host of food intolerances and I’m hoping it’s just that. Please let me know if you find anything as obviously once you reach 50 any little pain seems to bother you more. Have a great day
    • Posted

Ps sorry if it didn’t make much sense ... Siri wrote it 😕

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I have had all tests done as well that cam eback negative - colonoscoy, endoscopy, ultra sounds, CT snacns, gallbladder testing, blood tests and so on. Doctors never thought to check the ileocecal valve in my stomach. You have one on the left and the right side. When that valve isn't working correctly it causes pain (in your side/stomach) can cause constipation, bloating, gas...and all tests preformed by doctors will come back negative. I see a massage therapist once a week to work on my valve and it has improved a lot - my digestion is much better. 

• Posted

Oh my gosh!!!!! Thank you Thank you!!!! This is what i have, i just know it!!!! I have every symptom!! God bless you for posting this!!
    • Posted

• Posted

What type of massage do you get and for how long.
    • Posted

I go for about 30 minutes and they do a massage on my intestines and the valve - there are also instructional videos online. The massage helps open and close the valve to retrain it to open and close properly. The intestinal massage helps get your intestines moving and clearing bile properly. 

• Posted

P-DTR is the type of therapy I go to
    • Posted

I echo that - same here, tight feeling in left under ribs, I have HH, and GERD so put it down to that.  PPIs as usual given - but not having that - Bowel movement strange,  can be loose which I put down to excess acid.  Crampy feeling on and off usually after eating or if getting stressed in middle of upper ab.  I will be researching this Ileocecal valve, never heard of it and quite sure my doc wont have.
    • Posted

Also, I'm wondering.... did you have any of the other symptoms listed? Dizzy, back pain, racing heart, ringing in ears, constant sinus trouble?? i even lost some of my sense of smell! I have so many I can't believe it. Wondering about you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.