Uncomfortable feeling Under Left Lower Ribs and varying bowel movements

Posted , 173 users are following.

To try cut a long story as short as I can I have basically had an uncomfortable feeling under my lower left ribs and some irregular bowel movements for the last 3 months that don't seem to show any signs of disappearing. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

With regards to the feeling in the ribs at no point has it been massively painful to the point where I have needed to take any pain killers or anything like that. It just feels more uncomfortable than anything else rather than painful as if there is something under my ribs that should be there. The lower left ribs feel bruised to touch but again not that painful.

I play football and go to the gym and have been able to continue both without any trouble or issues.

With regards to my bowels they have just been a bit all over the place since it started really. At first I kind of felt constipated and was having bowel movements but size and quantity wise there wasn't as much coming out as normal or as expected and had a feeling of not fully emptying.

In the last month that has changed slightly in that I have had a couple of what I would call regular sized and quantity movements but they seem to happen every 3 or 4 days and in between the movements are the fairly small quantities mentioned and usually very irregular shapes and sizes although the feeling of not emptying seems to have gone or reduced.

I have been to see my GP 3 or four times since this started. First couple of times they had a feel around and couldn't feel anything untoward and suggested it was just a bit of constipation so suggest some over the counter laxitives and then when that didnt work prescribed some Laxido sachets which again didnt do anything really.

I have now had a blood test and an chest xray that I am awaiting the results of and have an ultrasound booked in but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

In the meantime I just really suffering a bit mentally not knowing what this is and obviously worrying this could be something serious. Just keep searching and searching online and must have diagnosed myself with about 25 different things which I know is silly but can't help it. I am someone that never usually gets ill so this is very out of the ordinary for me.

I am only 32 and lead a pretty active lifestyle, eat well, don't smoke and don't drink too much, weight and BMI is all in the decent range - all things which my GP keeps telling me means that it being something serious is unlikely but at the same time it doesn't show any sign of easing up.

Not had any diarrhea at all in the 3 months although stools have been pretty soft the whole time even when not much is coming out. Not had any blood in my stools that I have been able to notice.

Its just so frustrating as for 3 months whilst I have been able to go to work etc I just feel like I am constantly at about 70%. I feel ok physically but not great and mentally I just feel shot to pieces.

Obviously I need to wait for my results and take from there but just seems such a drawn out affair to try and convince GP that something just doesn't feel right and just wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar to this?

8 likes, 434 replies

434 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Update:

It has been a year now.

I think my primary GP thinks I am crazy. And my GI Dr. only did one thing, and endoscopy, and dismissed everything as IBS.

My pain is very acute, left side below rib cage, left side, and left side back up to shoulder blade. Sharp intermittent pains, some weeks are better, but I always feel some discomfort, like something is there putting pressure on.

Tests done: blood tests x 2, including liver function tests and pancreas (i think). Nothing abnormal found other then a declining testosterone level, rather rapid for a year. Also took auto immune tests (lupus etc), all negative.

Xray/procedures: Chest X-Ray, Digestive X-Ray, and endoscopy. Nothing found, also endoscopy biopsy all clear. Doctor refuses to let me have a CT scan because of radiation. I'm 32 years old. No other tests have been performed sad

My own work: tried Gas-x for a week, not much help. Tried IBS medication, not much help at all. Tried modified diets etc.

I think it's taking a major toll on my mind and body, I don't know how long I can go, but I keep pressuring the doctors to do something for me.

Note: I'm a mild hypochondriac so this is REALLY affecting me. I still believe I have Cancer. Pacreatic cancer scares me the most as my pain areas mimic PC.

Any advice on what I should do?

• Posted

Sorry, meant to say "SIGMOIDSCOPY" I have not had an Endoscopy.

• Posted

Doctor approved a full contrast CT scan. Ill let you all know.
    • Posted

Hey Stan, When is your appointment for the full contrast CT scan?
    • Posted

I had mine yesterday, I'll let you know if anything comes from it.

• Posted

I have the same issues going on for 4 months now and still counting.

My symptoms:

1. No pain but something feels irritable on the left side under rib cage (Upper left quad of abdomen). As if something's there in the way underneath my rib cage. It doesnt hurt when I press on it. it's "just there"

2. This irritation occurs more often as I sit for excessive amount of time. Especially while driving.

3. After eating, pressure is built up to my upper left chest and back. It has gotten to the point where shooting sharp stinging pains occur in that area as if someone is stabbing me with a knife from the upper left chest to the shoulder blade to the neck and to the back of my head.

4. I feel faint afterwards. Like as if my body is sending messages to my brain that my system is about to shut down and Im about to pass out right there. Anxiety might be kicking in.

5. I can't sit and watch a movie for longer than 2 minutes. My brain feels irritated and want to get up and move else where.

6. Nausea/constipation, burping, belching. Loss of Appetite, Fatigue/Weakness.

7. I feel as if I have gas and poo stuck somewhere in my abdomen area and going to the bathroom forcefully trying to get it out but doesnt seem to work. (There might not be anything really but my body is telling me there is). If i do poop it's in small amounts. They are not normal size.

8. These symptoms get to start to really kick in after 6 or 7 pm.

9. It helps if i start moving around and standing but gets worse if I just sit on a chair (more specifically in my car)

10. 2 months ago my rib cage would hurt if i pressed on it with my finger and it would change to different spots on my ribcage. But that seems to have passed as I dont feel that any more.

11. Shortness of breath here and there.

What I think may have caused these issues:

1. Eating a sandwich made at a freinds house with lots of dogs around, unsanitary house which made me think that the mayonnaise must have been contaminated because people tend to use a spoon to feed their dogs which is gross and I may have used that spoon or was dipped in the mayo that may have had some sort of bacteria in it. I may have contracted a virus or disease of some sort.

2. Driving for 10+ hours. Excessive work/strain on my body (working as a mechanic).

3. Drinking sugary drinks in the morning.

4. Alcohol mixed with a drug that gave me panic attacks (I think this is where anxiety has been kicking in)

4. Sexually transmitted disease (Did not use a condom on any partners)

What I have tried:

1. CT scan, X-rays, stress test, echo, colonoscopy, blood work (White blood and red blood cell counts), Cholesterol levels, Sugar levels, pancreas test, liver test. everything came back negative and normal.

Who I have seen:

1. 2 PCP's

2. Cardiologist

3. Gastroenterologist

4. I have an appointment with an Neurologist on the 23rd of April and will have blood work done to see if there are any artery clogs are any similar issues that is causing me to feel faint and maybe see if this irritation under my rib cage is caused by neurons.

What I have been prescribed:

1. Dicyclomine 20mg as needed for abdominal pain. (This pill is used to treat types of intestinal problem (irritable bowel syndrome or IBS). It helps to reduce the symptoms of stomach and intestinal cramping. It works by slowing the natural movements of the gut and by relaxing the muscles in the stomach and intestines. This has only been a temporary help and not a permanent one.

2. Omeprazol 20mg for acid reflux (I dont feel this helped at all and stopped using because it gave me some pain instead)

3. Clonazepam 1mg for anxiety (not very effective when you have pressure problems on your upper left chest but does hep you calm down and sleep)

4. GaviLyte - Liquid powder that helps clean out the intestines. It is a laxative that works by drawing large amounts of water into the colon. I definitely felt it was flushing out my intestines but my symptoms still persist.

About me:

1. Hard worker. I love working and prefer to work rather than sit. But I get the feeling that as I age my body can't handle the work like it used to. I know I'm still young as a 29 year old man but for some people and their body, it is different. I may be stressed out certain days. I dont smoke, I drink alcohol once a week. I eat pretty healthy. I used to weigh 160 but now I am at 145. 

What I think might be the problem:

1. Combination of stress, depression, and overworking myself. I noticed that when I hung out with friends who i a comfortable with, my symptoms started to lessen. 

2. Infection (probably some sexually transmitted disease. I have been checked for HIV, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, etc except for Hep b and Trichomoniasis. Although Ii feel as if the testing place did not test me accurately due to the fact that they could not find my results at first then I had to wait 30 min to an hour for them to find my lab tests, they came back and told me I was negative for STD's. I am going back to have another STD test done at a different clnic. For those of you who know that your partner is definitely clean or never had any sexual partners, this might void the issue with irritation we are having.

3. Bacteria from food that has effected one of my organs functionality.

4. I read from previous comments about people mentioneing the ileocecal valve and Gastric Ulcers. Well I did some research and came across this:

------For ileocrcal valve taken from Drjockers website:

"Problems occur when this valve is stuck open or closed.

Once food has been digested and is ready for passage from the small intestine into the large intestine, a closed ileocecal valve will result in constipation. When constipation occurs due to this valve being stuck closed, fecal matter and toxins are not able to get through the entrance into the large intestine.

Instead, these waste products are left in the small intestine and the function of the small intestine is to absorb. Therefore, these toxic waste products continue to be absorbed into the body, which can cause many health issues"

This maybe a possible issue and will have to get this checked out soon.

As far as Gastric Ulcers, I did some research and had a colonoscopy done where the doc reached the camera down to the start of the small intestine and found nothing abnormal. Ulcers are found in the stomach and tend to be a whitish color.

At the moment Im not taking any medication and the doctor I have currently is really attentive to my problem and is awaiting to see what my upcoming visit Neurologist appointment is going to bring to the table. I will also have an  STD done in the mean time as well. I have had too much blood work done and wont stop until I find what the hell is going on here.

If anyone has any update or any findings please share. I am not looking forward to dealing with this for years as some have. It is affecting my lifestyle and I cant seem to enjoy life at all. I'd rather be dead than alive at this moment. I hope I can provide a solution to this and If I do find one i will gladly share and update. I cant stand to see someone else go through this. This is a nightmare!

• Posted

Did you do a full contrast CT scan of the abdomen?
    • Posted

I dont belieev it was a full contrast CT scan of my abdomen. i might have to check that out as well.

I also would like to make a correction to my post (I made a duplicate on accident and I see it was removed after I requested it to be removed). I had an endoscopy done. Not a colonoscopy

I heard and read that performing a colonoscopy can run you the risk of getting side effects. There is a procedure that can be done to reach half way through the large intestine which lessens the risk. I will bring this up with my doc as well and keep everyone posted.

• Posted

I just remembered something that happened to me about a year and half ago. I was bitten by a few ticks. One major one on the exact location where there is discomfort under my rib cage (upper left abdomen) and another few on my legs. I looked up the symptoms of tick bites and they slowly relate to what Im going through. Has any one been bit by a tick before?

Symptoms following a tick bite include:

a severe headache

nausea

weakness

muscle or joint pain

arthritis of one or more large joints

disturbances in heart rhythm

brain disorders (encephalopathy) involving memory, mood, and sleep

short-term memory loss

difficulty concentrating

mental fogginess

problems following conversations

numbness in the arms, legs, hands, or feet

chest pain

Could this have finally kicked in my system?

• Posted

Stan

What ever came about your CT Scan and situation in general?

• Posted

Hi! I am having the same symptoms several months ago and it is driving me crazy, I can live with the discomfort on the bottom of the ribs but the lack of energy is killing me sad. Any news about this problem? Have you done an endoscopy to see if it is gastritis? in my case I have done dozens of exams and doctors cant find the cause and I am totally desperate. I know it's an old post but I would be so glad if you read this.

• Posted

You may have read through all of these already, but it seems like most of us have some or many of the same symptoms, and all have had many tests done.  It's been 11 months for me as well.  As far as the low energy.. that could be low iron - have those numbers checked.

• Posted

Not much news right now, seems most posts are about symptoms and only a very few were about solutions to the problem or diagnosis. I took, have been struggling with similar issues for 1 year now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.