Uncommon costo symptoms

Posted , 57 users are following.

Costochondritis is unfortunately, not widely known or discussed and I've got more information from here than my gp.

Although I'm lucky to say I'm 80-90% healed, I've reached a plateau.

I wanted to share some of the less common symptoms I've experienced in my healing process for those who may be scared/confused:

Dizziness

Head pressure on the side of inflammation

(possibly led to a slowing down of the movement in left eye, I now wear glasses to refocus, never had eye issues before)

Headaches

Swollen neck

Tightness in neck

Swollen shoulder muscles

Back pain in the middle of back

Inability to eat

Feeling physically full after half a meal but still hungry

Stomach pain

Burning sensation in muscles

Tingling sensation in muscles

Strange sinking feeling when breathing, comparable to the stomach drop you get in fear/on a rollercoaster or similar but it's more muscular/physical

Sensation of muscles suddenly "deflating" when falling asleep - possibly anxiety related as well

Constant palpitations

Fatigue

Tiredness

Generally weak

Arm pain on side of inflammation

Feeling like I can't breathe

Difficulty walking at speed - who knew swaying arms could be so painful?!

Feeling fine all day but swelling up when you lie down to sleep

Sinus pressure

BONUS: For those who have overcome the majority of the pain

general discomfort/awareness/heaviness/tightness of the affected areas

Feel free to share your uncommon/less discussed symptoms

10 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How do you know that you are 80%/90% healed?
    • Posted

I'm going based on my feelings. I no longer feel pain just tightness which is eased with a quick stretch. It's also no longer as widespread as it used to be.

Carrying heavy things isn't as difficult either and I don't need to rest as much.

It's a guess as I haven't been back to the doctors but I'm considering it to see if there's anything I can do to finally get rid.

• Posted

My doctor has it! His advice to me "learn to live with it"! I just take Tylenol ( can't take anti-inflammatories), heating pad, rest and stretches! I have not tried Tumeric Tea! Do they actually sell such a thing? Tumeric on it's own tastes disgusting! I will be on the search for Tumeric Tea!

• Posted

If that's your doctors advice then I'm not feeling positive about being 80-90% healed anymore!

There are some on the internet who claim to be fully healed but they're rare and it seems to take a million and one steps to get there.

Just find some turmeric powder from your local grocers - especially the ones that sell ethnic food - and spoon some into hot water.

If nothing else it significantly reduced the pain.

Twinings or pukka sell a turmeric tea which you can get in health shops but it's not as effective.

I alternate between drinking that and ginger tea at work because turmeric powder stains like no other.

Word of advice- wipe turmeric as soon as it spills or you may have permanent orange-yellow stains everywhere and use a dark mug!

• Posted

Did a doctor finally diagnose. You ? Prob not they seem not to know about this .
    • Posted

Yeah she did but her only advice was to take ibuprofen but I'm not a massive fan of pharmaceuticals. So I looked up my own methods.

• Posted

But you're right, her info was minimal. She said I'd be healed within a few weeks. 12 months later....

• Posted

So glad to see that alot of symptoms I've had are in this list , 80% at least . The tight neck and shoulder muscles are terrible . How are you curing this condition as really need help

• Posted

As comforting as it is to know I'm not alone, I'm sorry to hear you're suffering like I did/was. Stretches and turmeric tea were the answer for me.

• Posted

I need help im 24 and this is driving me crazy my anxiety is really bad been 6 months all the heart test were good

• Posted

I understand.

I had soooo many tests.... CT scan, x-ray, nuclear bone scan and still I didn't believe my diagnosis of costo.

I'm now in therapy for my health anxiety as it was really starting to affect my life x

• Posted

how are you feeling ? I had a ecg , halter , and CT of my chest to rule out my heart but still feeling uneasy how are you coping ?

• Posted

Any luck? 24 y/o female and recently diagnosed and feeling really unhopeful about getting better. The worst part is I had open heart surgery when I was 16 so the anxiety or that and the feeling of my sternum wires doesn't help the anxiety of it all..

• Edited

Adding to the list, random fluttery feelings in the chest. Almost like having a twitchy eye but you feel it in your chest muscles.

Apparently that's your nerve endings doing something.

• Edited

Hi. I also have the chest fluttering. It's very scary. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Glad to know that I'm not going crazy.

• Posted

I've always had heart flutters (like my heart skips a beat and then beats hard and fast for a second). Runs in my family. The fluttering was only once every couple of months. No big deal for me....After covid the fluttering became more noticeable and I was left having to take a moment to gather my breath.

The heart palpitations now accompanies the chest pain and after being diagnosed with Costochondritis, the palpitations are a daily, often, thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.