Update On My 2 Days Appointment With 2 Different Urologist

Posted , 14 users are following.

On Monday I went to see my HOLEP urologist for a rectal echo, doctor said that my prostate is 100 gram and that I need the operation to remove 80% of the prostate, I also asked him about going the medication route, he told me that combo med will take up to one year to work.

On Tuesday I went to see the Green Light Urologist, he had me do a cystoscopy again, I had one done by the first TURP urologist last March. Turns out that he aslo said that my prostate is large but the bladder looks fine and strong. He then filled my bladder with liquid and told me to go urinate. Well I just couldn't, I stayed about 15 min in the washroom trying and trying and trying but nothing came out. I finally asked the staff to give me some time to relax since they kept knocking on the bathroom door to see what I was doing, they told me to take my time and come back and see them later on during the day so I did. Took a nice lunch and drank a coffee, took a long walk, all this time I could feel my bladder full and the urge to urinate. So again I tried and I tried and nothing came out not a single drop, I tried many other times and finally, 4 hours later I decided to go back to the urology department. They had to re-install a catheter again, I did talk about CIC and asked them to be trained by a staff of the department, so I took an appointment for that but have to wait some weeks, now I have another infection so back on Cypro and also very sore from the cystoscopy which is not too pleasant. I also was given the choice of medication, so I have now Tamsulosin and Avodart but this Urologist told me it takes about 3 months to work and to shrink 30% of the prostate. So not sure if I want to start taking them to mess up something else in my body.

So I did ask the urologist why I could urinate before the first event of cystoscopy 3 months ago with the TURP doctor, he didn't really knew what to say other than the prostate is big and blocking the urethra and according to the cystoscopy everything else was normal with strong bladder so he couldn't see any other reasons why I could not urinate at all.

So now I have the HOLEP operation option with a tentative date in the end of July (not convinced they will keep the date, got this date because of my pressure I put on the departement). With the Green Light doctors, he has no date for me nothing for the next 6 months or he could refer me to TURP doctors and get it done within the next 2 weeks or so. Of course if I decide on an operation, it will be the HOLEP one.

My next option is CIC which is blocking me but I'll do everything in my power to try it with a trained nurse in a few weeks or so.

All comments are appreciated

Thanks and God bless you all

John

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

John,

My prostate is 90 cc or larger now. I had a Foley in for 3 months because I feared doing CIC. That fear resulted from the incredible pain I had when they installed the Foleys (had a total of 5 inserted in 3 months).

My previous uro's staff trained me in CIC and did a poor job--and I ended up in the emergency room. My new uro's staff is much better and did a good job. That combined with help from members of this forum, like Jimjames, enabled me to be successful with CIC, and now I've been doing it for over 2 months.

Like you I saw several urologists--5 total. Each offered TURP, suprapubic prostatectomy, and HoLEP. Of those I would go with the HoLEP, but I didn't want its side effects. Did some more research, and I'm now scheduled for a PAE in 2 weeks.

Never thought I could do CIC, however, it's much better than having a Foley. With the Foley I had UTIs and horrible bladder spasms. With CIC I have much more freedom. CIC was rough at first because the Foley had made my urethra raw. But after a couple of weeks it got better.

My previous uro had me do the urodynamics test a week after having acute urinary retention--in my case 7 liters! There was no way I could have passed that test given my extreme retention, and in fact, I totally failed it. Now that I've been CICing 2 months, my bladder is trying to regain function. It's not much right now, but it's slowly getting better.

There's a really good thread on this site about self catheterization as an alternative to BPH surgeries. I found a lot of info and encouragement on CIC there. Learning CIC allowed me to take more time to research my research options. My uros have not been supportive of CIC--they see it as a very short term option. They are not supportive of PAE because they don't perform that procedure. In my experience, uros are primarily surgeons--and they will promote their type of surgery.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hi Stebrunner

Thanks for the inspiring message, yes you are 100% right, CIC is what I should do and I'm not close to it, I just had a bad experience and passed out 2 weeks ago on the hospital floor bangging my head, noze and teeth pretty bad, but I was lucky that the damage was minor.

As I just went through 2 days of tests with 2 different urologist, I caught another infection and now on CYPRO and still sore from the cystoscopy so I'll give my organ a rest and we'll see in a few weeks.

I know there are no freedom with a catheter on, I feel like ladies of the old days with the chastity belt.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for sharing your story with me

John

• Posted

I feel many misconceptions exist over CIC. It really is easy to perform, you quickly learn how far to insert the catheter into the uretha before it triggers urine flow. The major disadvantage to the Foley is that if it needs changing it requires a MD or RN to do so, and might even require an ER visit. With CIC it is much easier to determine PVR than with the Foley. However it is important to get the right size catheter for CIC and every urological office should have a RN or PA, who is skilled in this area.
    • Posted

I would suspect that a significant number of patients, probably in the 65+ age range, use indefinite CIC rather than risk an invasive procedure such as TURP.
  • Posted

My experience was very similar to yours (although mine was about half the size - w/ a large median lobe).  I went in to AUR after taking antihistamines for hives in July of 2014 and have not been able to get off of the catheter since.  The urologist said my bladder looked tired out but otherwise healthy - and I passed all the blader function tests. 

I think you would be a good candidate for the much less invasive PAE procedure.  It doesn't burn any bridges like the other procedures.  I had the PAE in Sept of '15.  It only helped a little bit but i think you would be a better candidate since your prostate is larger (I don't know if you have a very large median lobe - this makes it a bit trickier; but the large prostate makes it more likely to help).  I would highly recommend Dr. Ari Isaacson at UNC.

In the meantime,definitely learn CIC and try the Speedicath Compact Male catheter.  I was on the indwelling catheter for 2 1/2 months and really regretted not learning CIC at the very beginning.  It is much more natural and less painful.  It also allows you to know at any give moment how much you are voiding naturally v. w/ the catheter.

Finally, I would recommend that you google foods that can cause urinary retention:  coffee, alcohol, spicy food are some of the worst offenders.  And, as I learned the hard way, antihstamines can send you right in to retention!

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hello Arlington and thank you for posting much appreciated yes you are right I need to learn CIC I did ask my urologist put me in contact with the best trainer in the Department of urology. I had a cyst oscopy yesterday
    • Posted

Sorry I'm on my mobile what I meant to say is that I had a cystoscopy yesterday and caught and infection so now's not a good time to start CIC since I'm very sore from the procedure plus adding again a catheter I'll keep you posted thank you

John

• Posted

John, I had very similar issues to you. I visited three urologists....one wanted to do TURP, the other Holep and the third open surgery. 

I researched each and found the side effects too daunting.....impotence, bleeding, incontinence, retro. Didn't want any if those. 

Then in I found this site and found out about Prostate Artery Embolisation or PAE on these pages. 

Long story short, I had my PAE a year ago and couldn't be happier. I pee like a horse and no retro or other issues. 

Do yourself a favor and check out PAE on this site. 

Pae can only be done by interventional radiologist not urologist....that's why they won't tell you about it. 

• Posted

John, I had very similar issues to you. I visited three urologists....one wanted to do TURP, the other Holep and the third open surgery. 

I researched each and found the side effects too daunting.....impotence, bleeding, incontinence, retro. Didn't want any if those. 

Then in I found this site and found out about Prostate Artery Embolisation or PAE on these pages. 

Long story short, I had my PAE a year ago and couldn't be happier. I pee like a horse and no retro or other issues. 

Do yourself a favor and check out PAE on this site. 

Pae can only be done by interventional radiologist not urologist....that's why they won't tell you about it. 

• Posted

Thanks caringbah

PAE is also a possibility but I have to call back my green light urologist hot see if he had contacts for PEA in Montreal where I live

Thanks for sharing

John

• Posted

That would be a good thing to please look into it....PAE  Maybe I can find some in your area  Ken
    • Posted

John, just be very careful. From bitter experience, urologists will bag PAE. Why? Enlarged prostates are huge business for urologists but PAE is a far superior process to TURP or laser but they can't do it. They are incredibly threatened by PAE. 

There are very lengthy discussions on this site about PAE. Guys all over the world are having them. I had mine done in Sydney. 

Just google PAE Montreal or Prostate Artery Embolisation Montreal. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

That is right They make no money if they send you for a PAE  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Caringbah

I will look it up, I think the Green Light uro mentioned the PAE, he went through many different options so I will check with him and see about the PAE option and who`s doing it in Montreal

Thanks again

John

• Posted

Just me again.  Try that first  It may be all you need Ken
    • Posted

Yes Ken I'm looking into it, I have an rectal echo next Friday so I will get all the information for PAE if it's practised at that hospital I'm almost sure my Green Light urologist mentioned something about PAE, he told me he could refer me to any other methods in his professional contacts, even if I did the rectal echo with the HOLEP doctor, I will re-do it with the Green light doctor so when referring me he will have all test done on hand. 

Thanks

​John

• Posted

Good morning John  Just got up and I was thinking about you and all the problems you are having. I am sorry.  What that doctor did to you has no words.    I was talking to my brother the other day and was telling him what happen to you.  To go from not having any problem to having a catheter for 4 months now that you can't pee.  Did you start the meds the doctor gave you I know he told you 3 month's but it may be quicker for you. I HOPE YOU GET SOME GOOD NEWS IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.  In Georgia now watching my grandkids  Have to go  they wil be getting up soon   Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for the message and kind thoughts, yes I feel frustrated from this situation and no words to describe it. I will hope the meds are working faster then what is documented, I will try to enjoy the weekend with my daughter and not think about it, 

Enjoy your weekend with your grand kids

Thanks again for caring 

​John

• Posted

Hey John just checking on you.  I had my heart cath a few days ago had one stent put in.  Artery was 90% block.  doing good a little tired but ok. How are you doing did you go to the CIC class  I hope you can do it.  Life would be so much better for you without the catheter and the surgery.  Take care Buddy.  Have a great Father's Day  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken thanks for the kind message, hope you are ok following your heart stent operation, that's huge I'm sure you will feel better day by day. As for me well CIC is not working it's really painful seems like it's stuck when going through the prostate, since I can't urinate at all the urethra is squeezed by the prostate so it makes it extremely painful to pass the cath. I have finally found an hospital doing PAE  and I have an appointment this coming Tuesday afternoon, it took me 2 weeks of solid search and calling all over including the Medical College, the Canadian and Quebec Urologist Association, emailed about 20 urologists, radiologist and finally one called me back, all others ignored me and the Urologist association told me they can't reveal professional contact info and told me to ask my urologists which aren't returning my calls, emails, etc. seem to be a code of silence for that PAE method, 

So for me it's either PAE or HOLEP I'll find out more on Tuesday, I also made a new post asking more feedback from men who had these operations.

Have a good father day too this coming Sunday

John 

• Posted

I'm sorry about the CIC  What size of a catheter do you use maybe a smaller one would work. I hope you can have the PAE  I think that would be best for you.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Have a good day with your daughter..Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Ken, happy father's day I used 16fr and 14fr coude, in any case I'm looking forward to my Tuesday appointment for PAE

I'll keep you posted

Thanks

John

• Posted

I don't know if the nurses did it right for you when they tryed CIC.  But when I have my heart ablation in August my urologist told me to tell them ( He knows I will ) that to use a 14fr coude catheter and when they put it in to have the tip facing me that makes it easier to get it into the prostate.  I wish you good luck and tell them that this is what you want.  ( I just read a post that this doctor did a PAE on a man with a prostate size of 600 ).  I will keep you in my prayers  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Ken thanks for the message, yes the 14fr coude catheter tip facing me that's how we tried it , in any case the PAE appointment will help me decide which way to go, I'm still reading and finding as much info as I possibly can on PAE to make an educated decision, I just don't want to do this and find out that it's not helping my case much like some cases I read. Some men are saying that they still have the same symptoms of waking up 3, 4 times a night to urinate, others are saying that it's the best thing they ever done so I need to weigh both methods PAE and HOLEP, I might decide on PAE if I can have it done before the HOLEP date of end of July, if PAE can't happen before the HOLEP date, I don't want to blow my chances with HOLEP. 

Still lot's to think about

Thanks for your kind words Ken

John

• Posted

John  I know you like to get this over with has soon as you can but don't make a rush discison.  There are good and bad in all of them.  I just read  a post from a guy that had a holep and the doctor mest him up.  There are some bad one with the PAE to you have to get all the information you can.  I know you are the one to pick but I would try the PAE first and if it work you don't have to have your prostate cut out. Then if it don't do the job you have no choise  Good Luck   Ken    
    • Posted

Hi Ken yes I know what you mean, no matter what I chose there are risks but I can't stay this way anymore, if I could urinate a little than it would be easier for me to do the CIC but since not a drop is coming out my urethra is really squiched by my prostate so CIC is very painful, not sure if PAE will do the trick they also say it could take 1 month to 6 months to see a difference, in any case I'll have a better feel on Tuesday

Thanks

John

• Posted

I wish you luck..  Did you have a nice time with your daughter.  I stayed home by myslf and relaxed.  Heard form my kids and That is fine with me there older and they have there own familys.  My groin was hurting today and is bruising but that happens..  What you doing up so late  Ken.   
    • Posted

Hey John.  Been thinking of you this week.  How was Father's Day with your daughter.  How are you doing any good news.  Hope to hear from you today.  Will be off line for a few days. Will be going into the hospital in the morning and will be home later on. Having a LING Monitor put in my chest.  Things here are doing ok. Getting use to the stent was tired for a few days.  No damage from the mild heart attack.  I just keep pushing.  That what you have to do.  I know I'm not a fan of the procedures that take away some thing from us but you have to do what you feel will be best for you.  God speed   Ken   

• Posted

Hi Ken

How are you doing, yes father's day was great, spent it with my daughter, did a bit of shopping, went for lunch, later went for dinner to a restaurant, she spoiled me with perfume, jogger pants and tank top, great momorable moments with her, she's my sunshine. Glad to hear that you're doing ok after your heart issues, hope things will be smoother for you. 

As for me well I went to my PAE appointment consultation, was not to impressed, the hospital did about 4 intervention 2 success, 2 failure so it's a 50-50 chance for me plus the outcome may not be enough for me to urinate naturally, it might take a month before I see any results up to 6 months, plus they can't do it right away, need to do test, mri, etc. first so it will go to about 6 weeks and that might be after my HOLEP tentative date of the 26th of July, so I mind myself for the HOLEP and pray the Lord that it will happen on that date and the outcome will be positive for me, I just need to remove that catheter. 

I'll keep you posted

Enjoy your weekend

John

• Posted

I 'm not a fan of the holep purcedure but I guess it's better then a turp.  Your main goal is to get that tube out and be able to pee on your own.    I would make sure the doctor is sure that you will be able to pee after you have it done. And not just do it to do it   Your bladder is misssed up with having that chap in you for so long. That first doctor did a number on u.  Take it easy and good luck  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.