Urine culture is back!! I need some help or advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Long story short.. I had surgery almost 5 eeeks ago. It was a gynaecology laparoscopy to remove endometriosis and they fitted in the Mirena coil. Since surgery I've had constant infections and super bugs keep growing on swabs and urine samples BUT today my surgeon came to see me as I was in hospital over night from collapsing and she said to me that the results are in and I have Pseudomonas aeruginosa in my urine and she has never heard of this before. Any anyone experienced this? 

My symptoms are middle and lower back pain (they won't check my kidneys), sickness, diarrhoea, vomiting,fever, tiredness, dizziness, loss of appetite and abdominal pain and my whole body is aching. Has anyone has this before? I have had issues since surgery with having vaginal E-coli, I got a mild form of MRSA after surgery and then I got a UTI and now this 😔 Can someone please share with me how long their symptoms lasted and what this actually is because google is telling me it's a deadly infection 💔

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I really feel for you for what you are going through. I have had this infection and this one happens a lot when in hospital my consultant told me. There are antibiotics that will get rid of this, but only specific ones. Keep flushing through as much as possible. They should be keeping an eye on your kidneys as it sounds like it could be getting into them by the symptoms you describe. That’s when things do become serious. Demand to see a urologist and get some answers. Don’t presume they know that things have worsened for you. Make sure that you tell them. I really hope that you feel better soon. There is always the marvellous charity called Bladder UK. You can call them and get some really good advice too. 

Take care of yourself and update us all. 

Sam 😁

• Posted

Hi Amy, I agree with Sam. I have no idea why they won't check your kidneys (at least they should take the time to explain why!)

Pseudomonas is a serious bug and I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that you've got it since (or during?) surgery - and MSRA too!  It's very dangerous if you have a weakened immune system (i.e. from HIV or something) but you should be able get rid of it OK.

I don't know what antibiotics they've given you so far but they will need to be strong - it's possible that the ABs for the MRSA allowed the pseudo bug to get a grip.  My husband  is permanently catheterised which means he's liable to get all sorts of bugs and he has had a pseudomonas infection in the past which cleared up quite quickly.

They may decide to give you an antibiotic called Ciprofloxacin (or Levofloxacin).  These are from a broad spectrum class of serious ABs called the fluoroquinolones.  They will kill just about anything but unfortunately they can give you a lot of serious side effects which may turn out to be permanent.  Most doctors don't realise just how bad these side effects can be but there is a big review going on about them in Europe at the moment (in the EMA).  If you switch to this discussion here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

you'll get the idea - and can show it to your doctors.  Many people affected by Cipro say they wish they'd been warned of the dangers beforehand.  I'm warning you.  You could also do a quick search for 'problems with Cipro' to see it's a global problem.

Pseudomonas is a gram negative bug so there's no need to hit it with a broad-spectrum AB such as Cipro. Using a targeted AB will be more effective.  Broad spectrum ABs are used mainly when doctors don't actually know what is causing the problem but in your case they do know. 

It's very possible they've already given you Cipro to treat the MRSA - that's another good reason not to take any more.  You may have not experienced any side effects already but Cipro effects tend to be cumulative rather than immediate (my husband was ok after his first course and in agony with his second!).

I'm sorry if this is frightening for you as I know you're already very scared at what is happening to you.  Pseudomonas is a serious infection and you do need serious antibiotics to treat it but my advice is to ask them for a targeted AB and not a potentially dangerous all-purpose one.

• Posted

Hi Miriam,

I’m in total agreement with you. Sadly I have been made permanently disabled due to being put on IV Ciprofloxicin. We need to make vulnerable people aware of these dangers. It’s terrible, that drug should be only used if it’s life or death!! I have embedded bladder infection for 4 years and am suffering terrible. 

Hope you all get well soon ladies and let’s hope they find a cure for all our suffering soon. X

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

Are you in the UK or US?  There are many support groups so if you haven't joined one yet there are addresses in the link I gave above.

Also, did you report it?  Many people don't which is why the doctors keep saying it's very rare!  Again, addresses are in the link.

• Posted

So sorry that you're suffering like this!  First of all, I would suggest that you have that mirena coil removed, because it is a foreign body. If you haven't already, read what the possible side effects are of having the mirena coil.  I think that docs in the UK typically try using it for endometriosis--very popular. And they don't often inform the patient of what harm it can do. But in my opinion the risks are too great.

Your urinary tract, reproductive system and gut, and the bacteria that occupy them are all connected.  Some doctors act as if they are discrete systems, but they're not. And so called "bad" bacteria exist in all of them, along side the "good" bacteria.  The point is that the good bacteria need to be more prevalent than the bad to keep your system in balance.  Start taking a women's probiotic.    

Then, get yourself to a urologist to get properly diagnosed and treated as soon as you can.  The docs who had a part in infecting you are telling you what they won't do to keep you healthy, i.e., check your kidneys.  My thought is that they are reluctant to find out what other harm they've done. There may be "mild" forms of MRSA, but they don't seem too concerned with your health.

I am so sorry that this is happening to you! Please take control of your health and find a doctor or doctors who take their roles seriously. xx  

• Posted

The n you all for your responses. I am on 500mg ciprofloxacine and last night my hearing went in one ear. Seems okay now. I keep getting pains in one arm like shooting pains and my back pain is just getting worse and I know it's not nerve pain because I already take gabapentin. I'm at my GP today so she will moan that I went the hospital only 5 hours after seeing her but she knew I was sick. Im seeing my gynae consultant on Monday so I hope they agree to remove it otherwise I'll be going s family planning clinic to have it taken out. They just don't take me seriously because I 'look okay' I also have an auto immune disease and I am B12 dificient too. Hope it eases off soon for me. Thank you all for your replies x 

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I was going easy on you so didn't say to have the coil removed as soon as you can but Lynda said it already.  Coils, like catheters, are foreign bodies so your body is always trying to get rid of them. 

Please do re-read everything I said about the Cipro.  Hearing problems and shooting pains anywhere are common and signs of greater things to come.  The leaflet says to stop taking it if you get any new pains and to see your doctor. If you haven't seen her already I suggest you seriously ask her to put you onto gentimycin or something like that which is targeted for gram neg bugs.  Like I said, pseudomonas is potentially dangerous but so too is Cipro.  I'm very sure when Sam above says she's permanently disabled after Cipro she's not making it up!

The link I gave is to a discussion on this site and gives useful addresses (that I can't give here) to groups and information.  Many people in the Fluoroquinolone threads (that's Cipro and all it's relatives) are disabled or not fully recovered years after taking it.  Personally, I wouldn't wait til Monday, I'd get it changed to a safer AB today. 

I truly hope it all gets better for you soon, especially since you already have other problems.  I'm not allowed to scare you but I will just say that if any of your pains start to increase or your hearing goes again please don't ignore it.  Damage can happen very quickly and (and this is the bit doctors just don't get) it will keep on happening long after you stop taking the drug with new pains and symptoms appearing months later.  (You can tell your doctor that a new academic paper has just been published about this!).

Very Best Wishes,

• Posted

Please let us know how you get on.  They aren't taking you or your heath seriously at all.  The B vitamins are essential for nerve health, and they could be supplementing them medically.  

I will tell you that in my case taking 500 mg of cipro was the only way I got to be cured from a repeating uti caused by e-coli.  There are dire warnings about taking cipro, true, but it's widely prescribed, especially in the US.  I had no lasting ill effects, myself, and I'm 68.  It's important to remember that every drug, especially the modern ones, have warnings about significant life-changing side effects.  I have looked on line for the % of people taking cipro who actually suffer these types of side effects and have not been successful.  So, when I got handed the cipro for a uti that had been going on for over a month, I swallowed it and continued to take it.

Do start taking the probiotics, though, especially because you're on a powerful antibiotic! xx 

• Posted

I wasn't familiar with Pseudomonas Aeruginosa UTI, so I researched it a bit.   The floroquinolones (Cipro, etc.) are the only oral antibiotic that works for it.  The recommended antiibotics are all IV or IM.   Why a hospital surgeon never heards of this bacteria in the urine boggles my mind.  

Amy could have various things causing her symptoms.  I don't like Cipro either and I am certainly aware of all the websites and warnings about it.   I would rather take the risk of taking Cipro than deal with what can happen if Pseudomonas A. gets in the bloodstream.

• Posted

Okay, I just read about it.  It says it can be deadly for patients in critical care.  You’re not in critical care, correct?  It’s a widespread bacteria that lingers in hospitals. That’s probably where you got it. Good news is it can be treated with antibiotics!!! Thank God, and I’ll pray for a good outcome for you.  These infections can be scary and very stressful I have one right now and it’s very upsetting so I know how you feel, but  obviously you’re going through  than me though, and I will pray for you
    • Posted

Oh oops,  I thought I was the only one responding LOL looks like you got it handled 
    • Posted

I was in ICU after surgery for a week with sepsis and MRSA. I got home 10 days ago after being in for 2 weeks.then I was readmitted on Monday for the night to be put on drips and my bloods are all over the place especially my CRP levels but they don't know what's going on. I'm just hoping my body reacts to these antibiotics as my body hates me and it takes a few goes to clear an infection for me. My immune system is so low especially after surgery too I seem to have caught everything. I hope you're okay and the antibiotics are working for you

• Posted

Well my GP completely ignore me went off on one because I'm on cipro and not what she prescribed which was trimethoprim. Told her trimethoprim never works for me and doesn't kill any infections I've had in the past. I asked her to repeat the urine culture maybe a week after I finish these antibiotics and she was a bit blahhh about repeating it. She said it's something I have to speak to my gynae surgeon about on Monday at my post op review. The general surgeons words were 'what the hell is that' when reviewing all my results in the past. This was left a week untreated whilst waiting for the sample to come back from the lab so I've probably had it in my symptom for a few weeks but she's adement it's got nothing to do with the Mirena coil. I told her that I still wasn't well and she just said well you look fine just s little clammy and asked why did I go to the hospital after seeing her on Monday and I explained 3 times I had fainted and she was just like erm oh!! She doesn't take me seriously. So I have to wait until Monday to be seen by gynae and on top of it I've got horrible stomach pain from constantly passing blood and discharge and now I'm passing discharge that literally looks black.. sorry for the horrible info. Just got to hope I get through this and not any worse because right now alls I want to do is sleep I'm so cold but then I go so hot too and my bowels and sickness full on hate me right now 😢X

• Posted

Amy,

Get yourself a new gp--and file a complaint against this one. She sounds as if she's a danger to each and every one of her patients, especially to you!.   If you're passing blood and discharge you need that mirena coil removed ASAP. If this is what's happening, you might want to go to A&E again, before Monday to get your concerns addressed.  

Bless you, I'm praying that everything works out! xx 

• Posted

Gynae won't see to me. I was on a general surgery ward on Monday and gynae are based in the building opposite the main hospital and they refused to coke over and see me because I told the general surgeon I was going through 8 pads or more a day. I am not on a period because my ovaries are asleep from a hormone injection called prostap and it's been like this for 5 weeks but gynae won't do anything. Last week I went through A&e and no examinations no tests just got told it's just endometriosis... this is what I get constantly it's just endometriosis causing symptoms because they never removed it all. I get no sense out of anyone. I'm going to start seeing the only female GP she would listen but it's like they say they work together and stick together they would never go against another dr. Thank you so much. I hope you're well xxx

• Posted

I'm sorry you're dealing with such a disgraceful state of affairs.  Is there any patient organization where you could file a complaint? It's my understanding that in the UK you can sue for malpractice, but I don't know where you're located.  

As for me, I've got my own health concerns going on.  Will take a while to sort,  but at least I have confidence in my doctor.

Please do keep in touch! xx

• Posted

Funnily enough I work in a legal clinical negligence department so I do know the routes but I know from work right now I wouldn't even have a case it's if something actually happened badly with my health and I went into s coma for example then it's neglect. We have a patient advisor liaison service. I called them the other day about everything they spoke to the ward sister involved and she rang me. It's a bit harder with my GP sadly..aww I really hope you get things sorted xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.