Vision problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on 30mg Mirt for 18 months + and I have been tapering off and should be stopping altogether very soon.

I have noticed a deterioration in my eyesight which I payed no attention to until recently someone on here commented with same symptom. Does anyone know If this could be Mirt, if so, will the problem right itself in time.

many thanks.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine. I started it almost 2 months ago and my eyes r getting bad.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Patty. As you are new to Mirt I would like to warn you that I gained nearly 4stone in a year. If extra weight would be a problem for you I would seriously advise you to reconsider this med. 

There are the odd few that are not affected but have a close look (if you already haven't ) at the comments on these forums about it.  It brings a misery all of its own.

• Posted

My eyes got bad but itoincided with aging and so I tk it would have happened in any case.  get blurry vision occaonally on mirt though. I was on it for four years and sice being off, I  longer have the blurring.
  • Edited

Yep I also get the blurrey eyes although I can't say I feel my actual sight has deteriorated.  Where are you at with your taper now Lorraine?  I think this symptom can seem worse at the lower dose, well it does with me.

• Posted

Hi, reduced from 15mg to 7.5mg 2 weeks ago, as per psych's advise also advised to stop now.  I was started on Nitraodole 50mg 2 weeks ago, so not really sure what is causing what. I remain optimistic, as I must because I gained 3.5 stone which brought a misery all of its own, both mentally and physically.  I am hoping this weight will  start dropping off quickly without the Mirt, which I stop after today.

• Edited

that's 3 cold turkeys today, you outght to join up together and start a new thread, it could be useful for you all.

• Posted

It took 3 weeks off the mirt for me then the weight started to drop off. However, I think you are coming off it much too fast. You might be lucky, but another med cannot mask the WD symptoms of mirt. Fingers crossed for you.
    • Posted

I think I agree with you. Insteàd of a dead drop from 7.5 I think I may half it again for 2 weeks and then perhaps then every other day for yet another 2. I cannot understand how these Psych's 'don't get it' you know. I pay £165 per visit to boot.  I worked my butt of the NHS for 25 years and can't get any help from them. All these people on here can't be wrong about withdrawing slowly can they?

• Posted

No, they have no idea how hard it is. I make a point of telling every GP I see, but they are totally uninterested, like it doesn't even register. Have you seen my thread here? https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-withdrawal-tips-and-experiences-thread-498889

And here, how to make a homemade liquid to taper off more slowly (although some docs will give you liquid mirt) https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-to-make-a-home-made-liquid-to-taper-off-mirtazapine-502540

I did try alternating days when I got lower in dose but hadn't made the liquid, but the WDs were totally unbearable on the very first day I tried to skip the dose, so I reinstated and made the liquid to come off even more slowly.

• Posted

I agree evergreen, I talked to my pdoc about my concerns about withdrawal when i started taking them and he told me there would be no withdrawal.
    • Posted

Unbelievable, isn't it? How could a drug which affects yoou so much not have a withdrawal. This is how mirt affected me.

The good things:

Helped me sleep

Stopped my migraines

Stopped my constant itching

Stopped my IBS

Cured my depression and greatly relieved my anxiety

Ridded me of my morning sickness and inability to eat anything until mid afternoon.

Gave me energy and enthusiasm.

The bad things:

Frequent night time urination and possible kidney damage

Huge increase in appetite (good to start with but not after a while)

Big increase in weight

Massive difference in the number of calories I coulld consume per day. I calculated it is as much as 1200 calories difference so it must have had a massive lowering effect on my metabolism.

Blurred vision

Very low blood pressure

So how can you just remove such a drug and it have no effect? Ridiculous.

• Posted

Publicly warn people regarding Mirtazapine with the serious side affects and request Doctors to review the use of it.

I am annoyed and disappointed with my Surgery.

• Posted

Yep your sight will restore itself, dont worry. At one point I couldnt even look at the television
    • Posted

Hi Joe! I'm that way now. I have trouble watching TV and I can't drive when they act up
    • Posted

I bet it hurts your eyes to look at the sky too. Probably around 3-6 months after your last dose they should readjust. Im going through protracted withdrawal so mine took a bit longer to get better, all I have now is some minor stomach issues. Dont worry though, your eyes are not damaged and will go back to how they were.
    • Posted

I'm really hoping. I have an appt Monday. How long did you say you were on mirt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.