Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

Anyone ever told to take Vitamin D, my lab work came back that I was defiencent in it, was told to take Vitamin D 1000 daily?  I don't know what my level was, but I am looking it up on the internet and see there is D3 and D2?  Looks as though the D3 is best?  Anyone?  Jay, if you are reading this would love to hear from you as you have been giving great advice on supplements.

Thank you. Hope everyone is doing well today  <3  loretta>

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Loretta, I was deficient in vitamin D, too, and my doctor prescribed 50,000 units of D2 once a week. At first I freaked! That sounded like an awful lot to me! And I have anxiety over taking pills, especially new pills, so I first cut a capsule in half to see what happened with about a third. When I was saw that I was fine, I took some more the next day until I worked up to a whole 50,000 units.

Then I took 50,000 units a week for a whole year, and I still only barely made it into the normal range by .5. So now I take vitamin D3, which is better than D2, that I just buy myself, but I take about 5,000 units a day. Since I'm just barely into the normal range, I don't want to slip back into a deficiency.

When I first expressed concerned to my doctor about 50,000 units sounding like an overdose, he said not to worry, that you'd have to take several of those pills every day to have too much.

I also take calcium, magnesium, and other vitamins.

• Posted

Info of possible symptoms of Vit D defiency..  

Good to get checked if have any of the below ..

What are the symptoms of vit D deficiency?

There is no clear pattern of symptoms.

In fact many people remain asymptomatic despite low levels.

But here are the more common symptoms

Fatigue

General muscle pain and weakness

Muscle cramps

Joint pain

Chronic pain

Weight gain

High blood pressure

Restless sleep

Poor concentration

Headaches

Bladder problems

Constipation or diarrhea

• Posted

Thank you Jay,

I seem to have a few of those complaints, here's to better health!

Loretta

• Posted

Jay....thank you for posting these symptoms.  I have every one of them and I MUST start taking my Vit. D.   It's so common to have a deficiency, especially as we age and in northern climates where we don't get enough sunshine.  Even then, most of us don't easily convert sunlight versions into Vit. D.  

My family doc says everyone should be taking AT LEAST 1000 IUs of Vit. D per day and up to 4,000 IUs in the Fall and Winter months where we're not exposed to sunlight on a daily basis.  

I am in Canada but, I am going to look to see if we also have the Natecal that you've mentioned or a similar preparation.  I think it's important to get calcium at our ages and stages of life.  

Thank you. smile  

• Posted

Hi jamie 

yes get the D3 down ya 😊

i take it and i live in sunny southern spain ... 

And its late here almost 1am, 

talk soon 

take care of the body and it will take care of you 😊

jay x

• Posted

Yup, Jay...I took 1000 IUs at dinner last night so, I got some in. smile  
    • Posted

Nice one jamie 

i am sure that after a few days you will feel alot better

dont miss any days .. 

Hehehehe😊

jay x

• Posted

Thank you Jay!  I'm going to keep right on with them now. smile  

Fingers crossed! 

Now to research B vitamins and levels as I'm sure I'm not opitmal on those either. 

• Posted

Hi Jamie 

i take Vit B 150mg daily and even my doc years ago suggested it in my peri, its helped me no end ..

My list is above up the page  what i take, i have my perfect mix for me 

jay z

• Posted

Thank you, Jay.  I'm going to look at all of this, then head for the health food store. smile  

• Posted

Loretta,

I used to have high blood pressure and took medicine for it. Then I lost some weight and took myself off the meds. My doc was ok with it because my BP wasn't dangerously high in the first place. On it more for precaution. Then I started going through wacky hormone changes last April. I've had peri for some years but it really started wreaking havoc so I took the suggestions on here for taking different supplements. I started taking 1000 IU of D3 daily and it took awhile to really take effect but my blood pressure started coming down and has been perfect lately. I did some research and Vit D can have a positive effect on the blood pressure.  I still suffer from some fatique so maybe I need to up my Vit D even more?

• Posted

Hello Nancy I am actually checking out a book called the Vitamin D Solution on Amazon.  Interesting information . Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.