Warm sensation inside leg but not hot to touch

Posted , 99 users are following.

I have severe health anxiety and have been experiencing every symptom for the past 4 months. Recently I have developed a new sensation which of course sent me into a panic all over again. I am getting a warm sensation on the outer side of my left knee but it's not hot to touch. It feels like a hot cup of coffee was put against it or I rubbed Bengay on it. It only lasts for a few seconds and then goes and comes again off and on throughout the day. It's just a spot about the size of a ball that feels internally warm. Does anyone else experience this. I googled and now I am in a panic thinking it's a serious neurological disease. Please help sad

5 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Nothing to do with anxiety - is caused by blood not flowing efficiently in a vein.

I have the exact same thing on my right shin near a varicose vein.

• Posted

Thanks fire dragon this makes a lot of sense for me.
    • Posted

Hi firedragon - is there anything that can be done to prevent this warm sensation?
  • Posted

I'm 33 and have had anxiety probs in the past, until CBT in 2008 it was crippling. It's been under control for years but in the last 3 weeks I've had this exact sensation but in my right foot. Sometimes it happens in my calf or right butt cheek as well. I have high cholesterol, varicose veins and low Vit D. I have a docs appointment this afternoon about this so will update after that. I'm 99% sure that the frequency of it increases with stress and if I'm distracted I don't notice it anywhere near as much. I've recently flown back from the USA and also had to break in some tight work-shoes as well as losing a dear friend to a hit and run so there is a bunch of stuff it could be. It seems that this is a very common issue so let's hope that the doc sorts out a solution/reason. 

• Posted

I hope your still on this site because I am trying to seek whay happened? I am also 33 yrs old and dealing with the same thing
  • Posted

Hi I've been getting weird burning sensations across my skin but I get mine across my collar bone on chest and it goes onto my back in between my shoulders it comes and goes I really not sure what it is either.

• Posted

HI, I joined so that I might add that just recently the same occurs to me on outer calf. 

I have read all the current relies , and it seems sensible to ask everyone..

what have we all done recently which may be different  from our normal lives? 

Now I am normally very active , but have become desk bound over the last year. 

'This is the big change in me ... fitness. Obviously I felt OK my Heart  has not been exercised as it normally is... so I immediately thought  cardiac .. blood flow . Something to do with lack of fitness. 

Lets all see what we have all been doing which might be similar.

so I would like to know if all of us have been a bit lazy recently with not working out. 

Also I my diet has changed in that I am not eating enough green vegetables. 

Anyone else guilty of these two minuses ? 

• Posted

yes, hurt my foot so not walked much recently and feel unfit in last 2 - 3 months, not had a good summer, very little sun and put 4 lbs on so feel sluggish although only weigh 9st. had many problems with my back and neck with pain and sciatica over last few years but at 60 now its deterioration, this burning is very weird, my GP has no idea what it is. its on my right calf every now and again throughout the day and I feel my leg is on fire! very strange but I googled it tonight as was getting worried and I see many people are experiencing the same thing!!! only had it about 2 months so lifestyle may have an impact on it
  • Posted

Hello, 

Fellow hypochondria sufferer here! lol. Health anxiety is the worst. 

Let me ask you, When you have these sensations, do they go away when you are 100% not focused on them??? Do the sensations and symptoms switch back and forth from one thing to another? 

• Posted

YES IM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE IN MY LEFT THIGH!!! Exactly the same way you described it and only for a few seconds
  • Posted

I had the same thing for about a month but it's gone now. I also suffer from anxiety so I can relate. I can't even bring myself to call a doctor because my anxiety is so bad!

• Posted

Wow, the same thing is happening to me! This just started today, on my right lower inner calf. It happened like 4 times today, just lasted for a couple of seconds, same spot every time.

I am a 31 year old female. 2016 has been an extremely stressful year for me, and I gained 30 lbs in about 3-6 months. I noticed a few other comments about being inactive and weight gain, so I thought I should share also.

I will go to the Dr. soon if it continues. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Happy new year everyone.

• Posted

I have the same symptom. My upper right thigh gets warm, however as does my right foot and hand. I had a really bad anxiety breakdown last October, before this, these symptoms did not exist. I ended up going to the Doctor finally in December, they ran blood work and everything turned out fine. I was put on anxiety medication and have improved greatly, but the warm thigh feeling persists. I have chalked it down to extreme anxiety, because before my "breakdown" none of this was happening. Hopefully now on the road to recovery.

• Posted

I too am suffering from this same issue. Today will make it two weeks that I've been feeling this warm sensation. To me it feels like I have a sunburn on the inside of my left leg. Its not hot to the touch or painful, but its very uncomfortable and annoying. I also suffer from anxiety, it's been a few years now. I want to see a dr so bad but my anxiety is holding me back. I'm really scared sad does anyone know of any home remedies for this issue?

• Posted

I can't believe I've found people experiencing this as well. I'm a 24 year old woman, normal weight, fairly active, but have experienced chronic joint pain for about 2 years now. I have not been to a doctor out of fear that I'll be labelled a drug-seeker or a crazy. 

I started feeling the exact sensation described--internal "wet" heat on the inside of my right calf that goes away after about 30 seconds to a minute. I work in a coffee shop and initially thought I had spilled coffee down my leg that had soaked through my jeans. Went to dry it and nothing was there. It has occurred while standing, sitting, walking, etc. It seems to have no particular trigger. I have also experienced a similar sensation in my left shoulder, though this has only occurred once in the last few days whereas the sensation in the leg has occurred several times a day for about a week now. 

It's interesting that many are saying they have some diagnosed anxiety. I have not been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, but have displayed characteristics since I was a young child. My mother, sister, and grandmother are all diagnosed with anxiety disorders, however.

I experience Raynaud's phenomenon, so I'm curious if anyone else has circulatory issues! This coupled with the joint problems leads me to believe it's the result of SOMETHING being constricted or pinched... Definitely odd

• Posted

Hi! I experience something like raynauds as well but I haven't been diagnosed.... and I'm having the burning sensation just as you described... I am also vitamin d deficient .... and anxiety...

• Posted

In case anyone happens to be reading this 2 years later--I do have some updates to my specific conditions.

After multiple blood tests, MRIs, and Xrays, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in Sep 2017. In Sep 2018, I was diagnosed with scoliosis, sciatica, and chronic lumbago. In May 2019, I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency and was placed on 50000 IU of VitD. Through physical therapy, I also learned I have a tilted pelvic girdle that forces my right hip to sit lower then my left. I am currently being treated for chronic neuropathy on top of my chronic pain syndrome. So far, the only combination of medications that has worked for me is a mix of muscle relaxers, antidepressants, and anti-epileptics. The combo has helped calm my nerves so I do not experience this discomfort as frequently as I used to.

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.