Was diagnosed with osteoporosis 2 years ago

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had my second dexa 2 weeks ago and my results show I have managed to reverse my osteoporosis without pharmaceutical drugs My doctors were more surprised than I by the results. It is achievable with a little research and discipline .

4 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had a dexa scan done about 5 years ago and all was perfect in my world , bone wise anyway. Christmas time I hurt my back reaching behind me, and apparently numerous wedge fractures resulted. My t scores are only -2.3 at the worst so only osteopenia but with fractures. I have a tonne of medical problems and have been on prednisone for years and am now on hydrocortisone so they think that's why it's happened. They did want to try me on aa, but I'm on a poly pharmacy as it is so it wasn't a good idea and I wasn't keen. I'm now on compounded progesterone so we will see whether that will help at all. I'm keen on helping things naturally, but due to heart issues can't take calcium, and I'm on warfarin so that throws my vitamin k level out of whack. I don't think I can add fit k2 as it would muck up the warfarin.

i did start crushing egg shells and mixing them with yogurt, I may go back to that, it was just rather labour intensive lol

anyway, just wanted to say hi, this is a tiny bit of my story. Great informative thread.

• Posted

So sorry for all your troubles! I have far worse tscores but no fractures so far. It is puzzling how so many things impact on our bones even with tscores that are not too bad.

You have a lot to cope with which makes managing your bone health more difficult and probably not at the top of your concerns or health priorities.lease keep telling your story and all the best. Sounds like you have to rely on your food for your nutrients.

• Posted

You do have a lot on your plate.  So sorry.  It sounds like you have a good attitude, though, and I hope you are on the mend soon.  FYI there are a few food sources of K2, which shouldn't interfere with the warfarin, but do check with your doctor or a dietitian.  It is possible that K2 has less effect on warfarin than K1. There are limited amounts in various fermented foods, and some cheeses like brie and gouda.  If you have access to grassfed animal products (butter, eggs, etc) you will get K2 from that.  Unfortunately grain fed animals can't make enough K2 to benefit us.  And if you can eat them leafy greens like collards, kale, broccoli have good, absorbable calcium and maybe nicer than yoghurt and eggshells!  Note that not all leafy greens are good sources so check dr google first.

• Posted

I'm lucky, I live in New Zealand and most of our animals are grass fed and we try to live as organically as possible ourselves. I rattle with the amount of supplements I take and I do tai chi and walk 9-11000 steps a day so try to keep healthy even though I'm a bit of a right off. Lol I forgot another pertinent piece of information..I'm only 54! Rotten prednisone!

i will look into the K2, thanks for that. smile hope you are all enjoying your day

• Posted

hi Kathleen, thanks for,your reply, yes it was a bit of a shock to,add this to my list of woes. 😡 But ahh well that's life. I will do my best to improve things and try not to trip over. Hard to do with two wee ratbag doggies around my feet.lol

• Posted

If you have this healthy diet (the animals must not be "finished" with grain as that undoes the goodness) I doubt you are as lacking in K2 as the average north american (I'm in Canada).  But in the circumstances maybe a bones supplement which contains a small dose of K2 wouldn't be a bad idea.  

• Posted

Wow you do better than I do with your exercise. 

Yes you are young!

😌

• Posted

Same here!  However, I decided to wear my smart watch round the house, etc yesterday and I clocked up 1 km.  That was pottering around, using hose on garden and shopping - ie a normal day.  That's taken away a little of the guilt!  A km is a km to me however it is achieved.😀😎

• Posted

Of course! Winter here now makes it a bit more difficult. If there is sun I go outside but no sun the last few days, only clouds with some occasional showers. 
    • Posted

It depends where you are in Australia. Where I am is at the bottom of Australia south of Melbourne and if it is sunny it is not too bad but when there is no sun it is chilly. Canberra has minus degrees in winter, North Queensland is warm even in winter and my place can be in single digits Celsius. There is sun today so once it warms up it is nice outside with warm clothes on.

I have arthritis which can be bad especially in my hands. I try to keep warm.

We are not as cold as places like Canada but to us it feels cold as it is what we are used to. It is cold enough to warrant central heating. 

• Posted

Hello Anhaga . Would like to know what supplements you took. Thank you
    • Posted

What might be interesting to see Constance.de is how you and I compare with the people who are managing a lot of exercise but doing the natural regime of foods and supplements. 

A year or so should be enough to see if we can improve our scores or at least not worsen!

• Posted

Morning Kathleen - well it is here in Germany.  Sunny, too!😎 - about 18 degs.

The excercise bit will never have an answer, we are all so different.  If I excercise too long I ache for a couple of days afterwards.  (I mean if I have walked for over an hour - I normally manage 20 to 30 minutes).  I limit exercising to 10 minutes twice a day when I can't get out.

I have never been good at dieting, I 'sin' more than I would normally.😀wink  I eat very little meat, few salads (I prefer veg) and cakes don't interest me.  I do drink quite a lot of milk as I can't cope with coffee.

I am nearly 78 so I really can't be bothered to worry about what the future will bring.  I am happy, have a great husband, and am just pleased that I am still alive (brother died when he was 62, sister when she was 65).

Keep smiling.  

Regards fr Constance.   💐💐

• Posted

I am lucky to be alive too so that is a bonus. My mother died before my age now and my sister died at 69 but she was a heavy smoker. And I have a lot of health issues but they are managed well.

We are dieting, only eating healthily, and counting calories. 

I am 72.

I have two ruptured discs in my back which happened when I sneezed so take precautions with sneezing now.

I cannot stand in one spot any time and walk only so much probably similar to you by the sounds of it.

I also cannot sit in a straight hard chair which is a dreadful nuisance because it means I am limited re going out. I use a wheeled walker all the time.

You have a wonderful outlook.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.