We know our bodies, we know how it was before menopause came along.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Today is one of those days where I just want to b***h slap the professionals. I work in health care too, and the professionals have admitted they are not educated enough on Menopause. The stories I have been reading from women these last two months have been grueling. I have cried many times reading what you're all going through. Its the same story after another..... What's it going to take for these health care professionals to start educating themselves on Menopause. This is not a laughing matter, this is serious s**t. 30% of men leave their spouses during menopause, there has been a 45% increase rate of women committing suicide in the last 15 years over menopause, many women can't work; They have been forced to quit, get fired, collect disability, short term disability, go out on FMLA. Whats it going to take to get ALL MEDICAL CARE STAFF on board with this? I sound p****d, and I am, but I'm justified. Enough is enough..... I'm more educated then the professionals. I've spent over $300.00 in the last 2 weeks just on natural products because one, I'm allergic to anti depressants and my OB refuses to put me on hormones due to past history issues. I'd rather live a damn normal life for the next 10 years and feel somewhat normal then to have to worry about the consequences later. I know my body better than anyone else. But yet you want to rule my feelings, emotions, and deprive me of having a normal life? The system is effed up! And honestly, I'm so fed up..... My advice, because that's all I got right now; Be your own advocate and don't be afraid to speak out. I don't sleep, I have extreme anxiety, panic attacks, fainted, no bladder control, barely eat, afraid something will trigger my anxiety, I live off vitamins, cream, CBD, vitamin D, Magnesium, and so much more. I've become paranoid, living in fear constantly, and yet all blood work and other tests come back normal. Oh and lets not forget we're being told, no caffeine, no alcohol, no cigarettes, no sugar, etc. BLAH BLAH BLAH.....  Oh and then there's prayer, yep, been there done that too. Yep just commit me, I could use a damn vacation. Vent done..... 

9 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey to all ladies. Why don't we see if

we can get support from the government to get Meno disability?

I know it sounds crazy, and know it's probably impossible.

Being that the so called doctors have no clue about Meno. Their goal is to tell you take this take that because most ladies will take the meds that are thrown to them. What about the side

effects of those meds. I really think they gave us something in our epidural. The meds that are given is for us to keep going back to those nerds like an drug addict. Stay away from those docs mamagrams they cause cancer to you or your unborn. We are the doctors experiments.

• Posted

Hi Marjorie,  I fully agree with meno disability...  But, I also think there should be a separate retirement age for women.  I’m in the US, I think the retirement age is 67?  It should be much younger for women.  Our lives have always been some type of work. maternity leaves are not restful.  It’s just swapping one job for another.  We are barely recompensed for what we bring to the world.  But, as usual the guidelines are not written by women.  But, you are correct, we go to the dr complain and they throw magic beans our way.  
    • Posted

Beautiful Idea! All we need to do is print this forum out on menopause and it should open SOMEONES eyes! Let them see it writing..... 
    • Posted

Someone get me a address and I'll start printing now. 

• Posted

I think the retirement ago for women should be 50, 45 if your peri symptoms are horrendous. I admit I breezed through peri. But now I fight every day to make myself get up and go to work. I have come close to walking out several times(I have great co workers so it's not them).  Smiling comes hard for me these days. Honestly you ladies have been the only ones that have made me laugh out loud lately and for that you have my heartfelt thanks.

• Posted

I agree with you as for early retirement. I like that magic bean thing.
  • Posted

If I could print your statement in every op ed page of every newspaper I would.  I have thought for years what you have just very directly but eloquently stated.  Menopause is no laughing matter and I believe it is swept under the rug by most of the medical community.  Sadly, I feel that many of us (myself included) have allowed this to happen for fear of sounding and looking like a complaining weak woman.  Why are some of us so impacted by this change?  I wish I knew.  I once mentioned it to my woman OBGYN (who had no empathy or sympathy) and she likened it to the question "why do some women experience horrible PMS or morning sickness when pregnant and other don't?" No one knows for sure.  

• Posted

You can print out my statement and do whatever you want with it. I'm ready to take this a step further. Absolutely! Thank you

• Posted

Kim this is a sicknesses that we ladies have. It maybe due to the birth control side effects who know. If the docs don't know, then that should tells us something is a mist.

There was a court case where this lady

took a fork and rammed it in her husbands head. They found out she was menopausal.

She did not get charged. There are ladies that are going out of their minds

due to this illness. We need help.

• Posted

I couldn't agree more! I've been to at least 15 dr's in the past 14 months it's ridiculous! I only actually like 1 of them! I learned in 2016 by watching the health care system slowly allow my dad to die without actually helping him that it, in general, sucks and that dr's , for the most part, either don't know much or don't care much! It scared the crap out of me! 10 months after my dad died, my peri symptoms blew up and my old self was gone! I've not trusted a single dr that I've been to through this whole ordeal. I go in to have tests run just to rule out anything deadly ( and blatantly obvious because usually dr won't think outside of a very narrow box) and then I read and try to educate myself as much as I possibly can..... then go in to the next dr appointment better armed to TRY and have an educated conversation with them. I've been surprised at how dismissive dr's are when you know a little something about health and medicine! I've only had 1 Dr embrace the fact that I'm not some moron aging lady and actually have real, legit back and forth conversations about my health. It's just sad and such bs! I've had to pay so much money out of pocket for private blood tests because the dr will not order complete sets for through results! I could have gone to Vegas for the weekend on the money I've spent on them!  They say I "look" healthy.... can you believe that!? I've actually had 2 dr's tell me to my face on my first visit to them right after I tell them my symptoms tell me.. " well, you look healthy" or " you look fit" . Seriously?! I feel worse than I have in my entire life ( I'm 50) and you're just looking at my outwards appearance and making the assumption that since I'm what.... not crippled, gasping for air ( even though I'm about to have an anxiety attack from white coat syndrome) or laying on a stretcher that I'm healthy! One of them ( a woman Dr even) looked me up and down and lightly pinched my thigh indicating I was lean and muscular and declared " you look fit and healthy" !  Ugh! It's been 14 months since it all hit the peri fan for me. I'm officially menopausal as of the end of September. I'm doing much, much better in the last couple months but am still not completely myself. It's exhausting. I've learned many lessons in the past 14 months and that's a good thing but I honestly, I'd trade all those life epiphanies and introspective lessons to have had an easier time! I'll love to be one of those women that gives the blank stare when you mention hellacious menopause symptoms! I miss my old self so much! I'll be crushed if I never find her again! If I never come back to my old self. I refuse to accept this is the new me. I just cannot do it! I live each day with an eagerness for the end of the day in hopes that tomorrow I will be a bit more my old, original self! I find myself kinda with the type  of anticipation you get when it's almost summertime and you're ready for the kids to be home for summer. The more relax, casual and fun time of summer with young kiddos all at home. I have asked myself, what are you waiting for? all my kids are adults and gone from home. Most of the time, I have no idea what exactly it is I'm eagerly awaiting... but then I realize, I'm waiting for myself! The old me to return and be whole once again. Thanks for the post Theresa. It made me think and gather my thoughts today.  Hugs.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Audra, your story made me tear up. Its so very sad. I work in the medical field, their main focus is opiate crises where I live. They have a ton of grants to help addiction and other ailments but Menopause, nothing. I just had a coworker/Mental Illness Counselor say to me, "what is menopause?" He's a groun man who is 54 years old. Would explain why he's never been married. I told him, start talking to your female patients who are my age and start researching, otherwise, your middle age patients wont come back to see you. They don't care. 

Why on earth do Doctors, OB's Shrinks, etc. think we're making this up? Do they honestly think we like feeling like this? For the love of God, of course not. This is not fun Medical People, smarten up! 

• Posted

Hi Audra, your story hits home for me.  Back in 1976 My dad died of a heart attack at 42.  He complained to his dr about chest pains for months.  He was told it was nothing but muscle spasms.  Given muscle relaxers and told to massage his chest.  He dropped dead walking into work one morning.  I am 41...never got to meet him ( I was cooking in the oven).  I am sure that dr is dead by now.  When I started this peri mess last year, I rapidly dropped 15 lbs.  I am thin to begin with, so I was scared.  The male drs thought I had an eating disorder.  The females snickered and told me how lucky I was after they shared their own failed weight loss stories. At tbe time I was down to 100 lbs...I surely didn’t feel lucky.  🙄

• Posted

I'm waiting for the old me to return too Audra! I hope she comes back soon!

• Posted

Hello Audra, Since I've been on this forum I've noticed that a lot of ladies spend their time going to the docs just to be let down.

We have to take each day at a time. If we complain, or share our feelings to our love ones they don't want to be around Susie Downer. Due to this forum I feel better knowing what I have is not going to kill me. Because I was scared of all the symptoms. I thought I was slowly dying.

I 100% they should give us menopausal woman the medical marijuana.

• Posted

Audra - 😢😢😢

Your posts always resonate! I am doing so much better than I was (thanks to your stories on this forum along with the other amazing women) and credit so much of that to the wisdom, advice and encouragement I have found in this place.

Your words - I'm waiting for myself; wow, just wow. Powerful. I feel at times I am there but then I will have another rough day of new and weird symptoms; and that brings me down and makes me feel fragile again as it's always the unknown each day. 

I coud so relate to your stories of doctor visits. On my first trip to the ER I was convinced I was having a heart attack or stroke. The 2 female doctors both looked at me with huge smiles and said - you look great - you're not overweight - this is not a heart attack or stroke. Thankfully all of the tests they ran post that visit did confirm it; but I thought - then what is this? I went in again to the ER with some other "frightening" symptoms- read that word frightening on a menopause site and thought that perfectly stated what these symptoms can be! Again, I was met with the same response - your'e fine! You are having vasomotor symptoms. Hmmm....okay. 3 tips to urgent care after that for OTHER weird symptoms. Before this year? I can count on 2 hands how many times I have been to the doctor (outside of annual visit), emergency room etc. 

My mom was the one to say; "this sounds like menopause." Just like Teresa's boss. What a relief and a scare all at the same time. It's like - really? There is NO way this is all because of Meno, is it? And the really hard part, that I'm sure you all are starting to realize? None of us have the same journey. For some it's 10 years. For another it could be 15; peri + post meno and on and on. Some of us get hit hard that last year of Peri and into Meno and others don't get hit with symptoms until 5 or 10 or 15 years after Meno. It's really the unknown that makes this journey that much more difficult. In the end? I am THANKFUL for this forum - beyond thankful!!!! I am here every single day whether I post or don't post. It's our little place to be honest and share in the suffering together and hopefully lift one another up a little each day!

• Posted

My eyes get watery when I read each of our posts. Oh how we can relate to one another. Thankful for all of you. 🙏🏻

• Posted

Finny, thank you. I always enjoy reading your posts as well. We seem to have a lot in common and it's so nice to know you're not alone on this journey. 😊 I love this forum and the women who come here! Certainly like a sisterhood of friends, even though we've never met face to face! I seriously think I would have gone crazy had it not been for the ladies on this board! You have all helped me immeasurably! 

Like you, before last year, I could have counted in single digits the times I had been to a dr. I know the dr's I've seen the past year don't know that, but I want to tell them that I'm feeling bad enough to be here, so don't patronize me as I'm not a run to the Dr type person.  My mom is very overweight and has been for some time. She has always complained about the bias  and negative stereotypes she receives because of it. Well, I have seen some bs stereotyping myself when it comes to being slim and therefore your healthy! It's not good! I don't think I'm taken as seriously as I should be many times because I don't look like Dr's think a sick person should look! It's been frustrating! 

Im glad I can come here and get reassurance or great information and many times a much needed laugh! Hope you're having a good day 😊

• Posted

I cry too reading all these posts. I'm glad we can support each other. Hugs to everyone! sadbiggrin

• Posted

Thank you Finny you have helped me also. I was in fight or flight mode today. It's my job, I just want to slap my new Sergeant! Much better this evening. It just amazes me how many women think they're dying or going insane. I thought both were happening to me.🙄 Then I found this forum. Thank you God! Big hugs Finny🤗🤗🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.