Week 10 feeling worse prozac I give up

Posted , 12 users are following.

This is nearly week 10 now on prozac I carnt do this anymore feels like the medication is actually causing my anxiety to be more severe and I just carnt cope anymore I haven't really had any good days on this drug looks like I'm going to have to re think my options any advice I would appreciate x

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I stopped after day 8. I was on numerous different Rx's over the last 4 years and was switched to Prozac for anxiety. It did NOT work for me. I had never felt so awful in my life. For me, I decided that enough was enough. I weaned off everything and I feel better than I have in years. My thought process was that if something was going to put me through living Hell and perhaps have to endure months of trauma to my central nervous system to possibly feel some sort of relief, to whatever degree, it was a chance I wasn't willing to take. Something that messed with my system that much to where I couldn't sleep, eat, function, concentrate, felt suicidal, nonstop crying, no life at all......I stopped. That was a choice that I made and I know it isn't for everyone. I feel much better, I'm more myself again. After years it was time to cleanse myself off of it all. I sleep better, appetite is normal, anxiety is at a normal level. Stay positive, do what you feel is right for you. I spent a lot of time letting meds try and work for me, but in the end I decided to take control of them myself. It was HARD! It was torture, but I got through it. All the best to you....

• Posted

Hi....Jane i know how you feel. Every morning when i take the 2pills in my hand i wonder if im helping or hurting my self. Im at 9 weeks in , my anxiety has been their since January. First i was on 10mg then 20mg now at 40mg for 2 weeks. Have not had one anxiety free day. My anxiety has developed a pattern it seems one bad day the next day is terrible with super high anxiety. No good days. Has anyone one else had this happen? Where u feel like you gotten into a patern. Feels like things wont get better. Im stuck. Not sure when to throw in the towl.
    • Posted

Same thing here Sunny. However I have to admit the overall depression and dark mood has improved since mid March for sure.

The drawback is the anxiety for which I am attending therapy sessions.  We are discovering I have some long standing issues with this alone with some childhood trauma due to alcholol abuse by my tmother that has resulted in my keeping tons of things locked up for a looooooooooooong time.  I am also finding out I have been hiding my depression for many years.

In between, Chamonile tea and natural calm manges. supplements help a lot.  I also have Klonopin to take but I only use that 3-4 times a week max.  I don't want to get hooked on that.

Still I have belief that we, all of us, are going to survive this and come put better in the end. Katecogs has posted some really good experiences that I urge you to read. Her musings have helped me a lot.

Be strong!

• Posted

Sounds awful but a relief I'm not The only one I'm going to try my very best to push forward although I'm not even sure how I'm still sane x

• Posted

Ben...is this the 1st med you have been on? I was on Paxil in the past 40 mg and worked really good. I kept gaining weight on it. I would be on it for 3-4 months then wing off. Be without any meds for 4-6 months then have to go back on it because the anxiety would come back. Now my anxiety feelsvso different then before im not even sure it would still work. I changed Dr. He decided to switch me to Prozact. I had no idea what i was getting into. Or how long this med would take to work . i miss my life.😣

• Posted

Yes first AD I have been on.  I was ok last year, ok until Feb this year when I quit cold turkey. Big mistake

I am back on 20mg dose and I am seeing small but noticeable improvements in my overall mood and outlook.

Now if I can get the anxiety under control....................smile

• Posted

Yes....i can say it has helped me not feel as depressed. But when it comes to the anxiety it has very little. How long did it take to work last time.?
  • Posted

Rang my doctor this morning at 9,30 am it is now 9,00pm she's obviously not going to ring me back she's probably sick of me now mental health treatment can be so poor only for the fact I have 2 children sitting here with me I think I would of ended it all sick of so much suffering god only knows how I'm going to get through tomorrow 😭😴

• Posted

You are a very strong person. Take one day at a time and congratulate yourself for getting as far as you have. Any day day now will be a turning point. Do what you have do to g through. Read the positive posts  and know they have been where you are. 
  • Posted

Hi....Jane i know how you feel. Every morning when i take the 2pills in my hand i wonder if im helping or hurting my self. Im at 9 weeks in , my anxiety has been their since January. First i was on 10mg then 20mg now at 40mg for 2 weeks. Have not had one anxiety free day. My anxiety has developed a pattern it seems one bad day the next day is terrible with super high anxiety. No good days. Has anyone one else had this happen? Where u feel like you gotten into a patern. Feels like things wont get better. Im stuck. Not sure when to throw in the towl.
    • Posted

Yes, I never had good days. I have been on 20mg for 10 weeks and 3 days. My anxiety stopped 8 days ago. I don’t know weather it was the beta blocker I started or it was just time for it

To go away.  I do think that for most it takes  many weeks after you up the dose. Good luck!

• Posted

How long were u on the Beta Blockers before you noticed the anxiety had stopped. I have tride everything but not beta blockers. I dont have high blood pleasure. Can i still take them?
    • Posted

Hi sunnyinca I have taken beta blocka since I started 10 weeks ago hasn't really helped me but has in the past I don't suffer from high blood pressure your ok take them regardless of your blood pressure they are used frequently for people with anxiety just ask ya doc for more information Hun it's worth a go I didn't take my beta blocka for a day a week ago and my anxiety was even worse so they do help x

• Posted

My nerves have took a whole new level at the minute so I think I'm not noticing if there helping at this present moment hope this helps sunnyinca x

• Posted

Sunny Inca, it took it about 3 days after I started taking the beta blocker. It is a very low dose. I don’t know weather you can  take a beta blocker if you don’t have high blood pressure. Also I don’t know if it was the beta blocker that did it but I suspect ion it was. My anxiety was terrible. Grinding teeth, wringing my hands,  rigid body, seeking, sick and Everything else that goes with it. 

It’s a rellly nice to have it gone. Now if the depression would just go!  

• Posted

How long did u have the anxiety? What other med are on? If i ever find one that works im staying on it. Never want to feel like this again. I think im going crazy.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding Jane. Today has been a bad high anxiety day. Every other day for some reason is terrible. Not sure why my body is doing this. I've been like this for months. Broke down at Dr. Office today thought she was going to send me somewhere and lock me up.

• Posted

To all on this thread, I have just read about a new drug, Ketamine, that is being touted  as the first break through in 35 years.   It’s a Johnson andJohnson product and works on different receptors. It’s not available yet but does give  us some hope down the road.
    • Posted

Haven't been on line been kind of down. She asked me the tipical questions then called my mental health Dr. to get me in sooner. So i see him tomorrow. How are u doing Jane.?

• Posted

Still feel crap sunnyinca but ever so slightly better than I did I won't go out anuwhere on my own I panic when people come to see me it's horrible I'm even like that with my own family x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.