week 7 on fluoxetine, needing advise

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have been on 20mg of fluoxetine and 80mg of propranolol now for 7 weeks and I have only had a slight bit of improvement I have had a review with my GP and I think she wanted to up my dosage but I was too scared so she said at my next review in 4 weeks time to see how I am then.

This is my first time on these medications and everything has been triggered by me buying my first house and moving out of my parents. To cut a long story short I brought the house in July, moved in in Oct after painting it etc, the first night I could hear next door's music and their child crying which i was not used to living in a detached all my life, it made me feel sick and I started worrying, days went on I started being sick and noticed that they are very loud a lot of thudding, banging and music playing. My symtoms were worrying, over thinking, not wanting to be there, not eating, crying and very low mood. I got so ill in Nov I had to go back home, I visted the house every day until xmas then after xmas I had a break down. I was sucidial and my mind was over worrying and thinking that much I thought I was going crazy! I went to the GP they perscribed me the 20mg fluoxetine, I got worse went back and got the propranolol aswell, I started paying for a private therapist which I have had about 7 sessions. I kept away from the house until last week I went up there for the first time in over 6 weeks and felt a bit ok then went up again and could hear next doors music, my chest started burning and I felt like I was going to be sick so I left. I felt worse then I did when I first moved in and it confused me because I wasn't on medication then.

Just wondering if anyone could give me any advise on the Fluoxetine should it be working better? Will it help me when I hear a noise at the house? Will it help me comparing myself to other people?

I'm in a bit of a mess and so confused by everything

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks everyone.

Not sure if the meds are working at their full potential and I'm guessing there is no way of knowing. I have improved some as I was suicidal and don't feel like that anymore, if anyone has increased from 20mg to 40mg when did they do it? Feel like I should have more improvement. Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating myself I keep going over and over these things in my head and helps to let it all out on here.

• Posted

The drugs can cause anxiety in some people .

​Are you back in the house? Any change in neighbours behaviour. It may help to keep a noise diary for reference in case you need to go to environmental health to report these troublesome noisy inconsiderate neighbours.

• Posted

No I cannot bare to even think about going back there at the minute im too ill.
    • Posted

Just stay away from that house whilst you feel like this. Take each day ata time, baby steps.
    • Posted

abi Sorry to intrfere but if the neighbours are that bad do you think they would   be compliant if the environmental healthdept approached them. EH will not disclose the source of the information. May I ask if your house is a terraced or semi?  Take care.
    • Posted

I think it would be a waste of time because they have four children that's obviously most of the bangs and thuds and in regards to the music it's on like all day by not until stupid o clock in the morning it's just annoying how ill it makes me because I can't deal with it for some reason

• Posted

Abi I agree it may be a waste of time .

It is a them thing -not a you thing.

​I doubt if anyone could put up with  all the noise etc.

​I was bothered by a noisy neighbour when he was playing a radio very loudly outside. I had to do some paper shredding one morning 1am to be precise. After that things went quiet. However I have moved due to troublesome neighbours.

• Posted

What I don't understand is that why it makes me ill and why it can't just annoy me 😞😞😞 last time I went up there I heard next doors music and nearly was sick

• Posted

Abi

​I think you have to find a coping strategy in order to live with this until you are ina position to change things.

There is an organisation called icope based in London who have leaflets on coping strategies etc to tide you over this very difficult period.

• Posted

Having a bad day today the weekends seem to be worse for me then the week days for some reason. Just tired and fed up of not being well and wish I could be like my friends and family and be happy, all my friends live in their own homes away from their parents and I don't know why I can't it's really getting me down today I just keep questioning everything

• Posted

Abi You have more time on your hands it seems at the weekends.

If the noisy neighbours are the real reason for you not wishing to live alone then you can eventually get out of that situation.

If the real reason is fear of being alone or apparently unsupported then you do need coping strategies and support from professionals.  A fear of living alone can be overcome or managed.

?You can be de sensitised to your phobia but only by professionals.

• Posted

I don't know what it is that's why I'm constantly worrying. Is it me, the house, he neighbours, was I not ready to move out, is it my partner etc they gone on and on in my head with no real answers.x

• Posted

You just mentioned your partner. Only you knows the issues.
  • Posted

Guys it's been over 8 weeks now and iv had moments when I feel like my old self, hoping the 20mg will be enough and there will still be improvements.

Still feeling like i will only be happy with my parents and at their house but hoping this is just anxiety and will pass

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.