What Bacterial Vaginosis symptoms did you have??

Posted , 56 users are following.

Just wondering what symptoms have others experienced while having BV?  My symptoms are smelly vaginal discharge which normally smells fishy.  Recently and I have noticed in the past some achy abdominal pains and also swollen lymph nodes in my groin area. Does anyone have any similar symptoms caused by BV.  I have had the infection for since September.  

2 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It started with a yellowish discharge, kinda like snot, which I ignored because I usually get that right before my period. Then a smell as the other poster said, kind of like feces. There were little balls in the discharge as if I had wiped the wrong way (I hadn't). Due to high pain tolerance and a touch of the dumb, I ignored all this until I had sex and it was painful. I thought he had scraped me or something because it felt like a paper cut on my vagina. I did the mirror check and there was an area of redness where it looked like the skin was peeling. The doc confirmed vaginosis and put me on metronidazole 250 mg, 2 pills twice daily. I was going to take them at 9am and 9pm daily but I woke up the morning after I picked up the prescription in excruciating pain. My lower stomach felt like labour pains...not menstrual cramps but a pain like I was being stabbed and punched at the same time. The more I laid there the more it crawled up my stomach making threats. I ended up taking my first dose of antibiotics at 5am. Instant scary relief. I had a long bout of diarrhea with cramping, nausea...and drink a lot because there's all kinds of burning pee that comes out. I went on a liquid diet (soup and juice) for the first day or so. I do have an autoimmune condition and my period is past due, so some of the symptoms might be cross symptoms

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing this. I started having intense pains today in my pelvis. I described it as feeling like everything in my body was trying to fall out of my vagina (and butt). I saw my doctor on Thursday (it's Saturday now) and am waiting to hear back on results. I didn't want to start my clindamycin until I knew for sure that it's BV (even though my symptoms were exactly the same as when I had it in December/January), but I took one tonight because the pain was too intense. And for anyone else reading this, my symptoms for both times (until tonight when pain increased) I've had this have been an off-smell that I can smell through my clothes, leaky discharge (makes my underwear wet like I'm leaking water), very frequent urination, labia irritation/itchiness, a somewhat mild stabbing pain on one side of my pelvis (sometimes it switches but one side is usually more dominant), achy pelvic pain, some lower back pain, and a feeling of extreme heaviness in my pelvis.

• Posted

Hey did you get a confirmation that you had BV? Also, after taking the clindamycin, did the frequent urination get better? My doctor found I have BV and I'm waiting for a prescription right now... I'm hoping it solves my symptom of frequent urination!! It doesn't seem like it's as common of a BV symptom. Thanks!

• Posted

The lab didn’t end up testing my cultures for BV that time. 🙄  So annoying. But the clindamycin definitely worked, and it stopped my frequent urination (well, it’s more just a feeling that I need to pee - I think it’s from the pressure created by inflammation). I have definitely had a lab confirmed case of BV where I felt the same pressure and was running to pee constantly. BV is stressful because I think there can be a lot of different symptoms that doctors don’t know about so it makes you overanalyze and freak out. My doctor told me there couldn’t  be pain with BV, but he’s flat out wrong. I’ve talked to other female doctors who say that’s ridiculous for him to say, and there can absolutely be pain with BV. I just finished another BV infection and round of clindamycin. I hate that stuff, but it definitely helped. I hope you feel better soon!!

• Posted

I've been dealing with what I think is bv for 3 months and my symptoms or horrible!!! I have had a lot of discharge with odor, and severe pain in my vagina and also sometimes it hurts so bad that my legs and lower back hurt. I have been on every antibiotic and still no relief

• Posted

I have been battling mine for 3 months too! Everytime I go in my obgyn she just prescribes me with the same medicine and just confirms that I have BV. Doesn't say much doesn't tell me things to help me not get them. Like it's normal. But it's not. Im 18, and can't get rid of it. I can't even have a normal sex life with my bf bc i smell and we can't stand it. It's really starting to disgust me. Im ready to give up and start going to the hospital. Im on the paraguard birth control. It's what goes in my uterus. Maybe I should get it out? I'm scared that these are only going to get worse. Im thinking about trying the coconut oil thing, do I just put the coconut oil inside me ??

• Posted

I'm so beyond glad I'm not alone !!!!!!!!

I've been dealing with this for several years & ive been so embarrassed to go to a gyno.. sad

My symptoms are abdominal pain..

Thick white discharge everyday .. smells sour ( not to be gross)

I finally got up the courage to go to a gyno yesterday .. just waiting for results back.. I did a lot of research & im so glad I did ! For people that don't know & have been sexually active this can result from having an sti .. and it's important you get checked out .. I know it can be embarrassing but your not alone !

I'm going to be trying the folic acid .. I also saw in another post someone saying boric acid which you can buy online at amazon .. but as of right now I'm going to wait to see with the dr says and if she prescribes anything before I spend money on other things .. thank you so much to these posts everyone ! I hope u find what works for you..

ps your not alone ??<3

• Posted

Back around four years ago, I would get b.v. Like crazy. And every time I got it right after my period, the symptoms would show up and I would go to the health department. As I didn't have multiply sex partners, I wore cotton underwear, bathed every day and followed all the guidelines with this. But every single month, right after my period, I was headed to the health department for more antibiotics to treat this damn b.v.. I asked if tampons could cause this infection and they had said no. Remind you, I would get symptoms right after my period. So, instead of listening to the doctors about tampons not causing it. I stopped wearing tampons for nearly three years and guess what, I didn't get b.v. The whole three years.. I recently started wearing tampons again. Maybe three months ago and guess what? Yep. I have symptoms of bv once again. So lady's, if you are wearing tampons, try not to wear them and see what goes on with your body. Good luck to you lady's. ??

• Posted

First of all I just read this I appreciate all your help. I felt so alone and thought I had to buy a lot of medicines and stuff. On all the other websites it says it's pregnancy. It all lead to pregnancy which I know is still an option. But still I was really scared. Thank you!

• Posted

I seem to have BV, Im getting a diagnosis tomorroq to be safe, but my symptoms all point to BV. I started feeli n g moody when it began, and I also started feeling intense cramps. Today, ive noticed a weird, yellow discharge onto my pad (which i put in expecting period blood), as well as a subtle, but strong, yeast-like sour scent. The best way to describe it is spoilt milk mixed with yeast.
  • Posted

I have a odor that smells like poop coming from my vagina and light cramping. Any ideas
  • Posted

I’m 36 and got BV for the first time a couple months ago.  And it hasn’t gone away since.  I’ve been on antibiotics ever since. My symptoms are very  itchy & a lot of discharge,  No smell. Never had the smell for some reason. Also I was diagnosed with urea plasma last month, not sure how I got any of this stuff? I’m frustrated. I’ve been with the same partner for 7 years and never has these symptoms before. I still am very itchy and a lot of discharge even after all kinds of antibiotics. I’m sooo sick of them!! 

• Posted

Find out if you have a yeast infection from all the antibiotics! The itchiness and the non-smelly discharge sounds more like yeast to me. I go back and forth between both infections. Was it confirmed that you had BV from a test? My BV symptoms and yeast symptoms are really similar. It’s very frustrating!! I hope you get some relief soon!!
    • Posted

Yes BV and urea plasma were both confirmed from testing. I was tested for yeast and it wasn’t that, I also did a monistat 3 day treatment over the counter and that didn’t work at all. So idk I can’t go back to the docs until November when my insurance goes back into affect (it got messed up so I have no insurance at the moment. ) 
    • Posted

Ugh. That sucks. My doctor had me use boric acid suppositories (from a compounding pharmacy) and said I could try using a vinegar douche too. They both are meant to get the PH right again. Maybe some of the alternative treatments could help while you wait to go back?
    • Posted

Did the boric acid help? My doctor said not to douche at all. 
    • Posted

The boric acid didn’t help me, but that was when I had a yeast infection and thought it was BV. I haven’t tried it yet while having BV. My doctor says no douching too (of course!), but a vinegar douche is different. It’s the same concept as the boric acid suppositories delivered in a different way. It’s just trying to get the vaginal PH to be more acidic, which is how it should be. I want to figure out a good way to check my vaginal PH myself at home so I don’t always have to wait so long for lab results before I treat. I’ve used those wands from the drugstore that just tell you if your PH is normal or not (for figuring out if you have a yeast infection or something else, but they don’t give a number and I don’t know how reliable they are.
    • Posted

Ask your doctor to test your ph levels. The ones you buy over the counter are useless. The doctor should put the strip inside your vagina and you’ll  get a good read that way. It should be between 3.5 and 3.7, if it isn’t ask them to give you flagyl which should fix it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.