What helps you?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Dear everyone out there with OA. Blooming awful isn't?!

I've been sitting with my laptop for an hour or so (naughty me, must get moving!) and have been looking through a number of articles and am in danger of becoming quite gloomy.

How about we have a discussion about what helps us? Food, supplements, alternative medicine etc etc etc etc?

Are you up for this?! Positive stuff only for 2019.......

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

What helps most of all for my excrutiating knees are steroid shots given every 3 months. They only last for 2 weeks but still I am very thankful. Oxycodone helps tremendously and Arthritis tylenol, meloxicam, and lyrica help some. I go to a pain clinic. I have to lose 15 more lbs. to have my knees replaced and it started out being 40. Not being able to be active has made it hard.

• Posted

Have you noticed a difference with the weight loss? You've done well so far..keep going! How have you done it?

• Posted

Well done on the weight loss. so difficult to do when in pain and meds make you put on weight. I need to find a way of losing weight and exercising.

• Posted

Keep at it. My biggest success at losing weight is basically a paleo diet. I'm down 30 so far.

• Posted

Oh...I've just eaten two mince pies...not good eh? Where is your OA, if you dont mind me asking? How long have you been on this diet? Did you notice a significant difference once you started it?

• Posted

OA. is in all of my joints, mostly. Knees, hips, back, shoulders, and hands. 5 joint replacements and one fusion.

We have been eating paleo for about 2 years. I have not stayed with it the whole time. My husband does better than I do. Last year I stayed at my Daughters house for over a month. That was where I lost my ability to stay with it. They just too much of the wrong food everyday. Then I went back there 2 months later. I do fine when I am at home. My Son in law is during of cancer very soon. I haven't been able to avoid holiday food this year. But since the beginning of January I have been fine.

First I don't call it a diet. We call it a life style. My husband lost all of his extra weight, 65 pounds. We don't just follow paleo, but the plan that Dr. Mark Hyman. It has worked for us. If I had done as well as my husband, my weight would have been off too.

Good luck.

• Posted

I should add, that by eating this way, my cholesterol has dropped and almost normal. Some of the labs were normal. It takes about a week to get the sugar out of your system. We also went through our kitchen and pantry when we first started, and either ate, gave away or threw out the foods we wanted to eliminate. It is too hard for me to have it in the house. We do not buy anything prepare or packaged. Too many chemicals.

• Posted

You sound as though things with the diet have helped. I looked it up last night and I will try it. I know what you mean about having certain foods in the house!

• Posted

Keep warm, keep moving, get an exercise program from a good physiotherapist if you develop problems - you may have a muscle imbalance which puts strain on certain joints, for example. Avoid taking nsaids as they interfere with cartilage regeneration. Try taking glucosamine. I take 1000 mg twice a day, have done for many years. Some people don't like taking glucosamine. I get a kind in a capsule, not a hard tablet or caplet, and always have it with a meal, and have never had any problems. First diagnosed with OA when 40, now over 70, and still have mostly full range of motion, able to do most things, even commended for my flexibility considering my age! All because I've kept moving and done the other things mentioned. And a healthy diet, of course! I'm a bit underweight now but have been a healthy weight throughout my adult life.

• Posted

I think you are right about a good PT...there is a lot of variety out there! I went to one who tried to get the weight off the joint. It works but I couldn't walk around like a stalk all day! Not sure how I can solve that! I too have a bit of an issue with nsaids....I worry about the long term, so I avoid taking them. I think thats what prompted me writing the original point of discussion. If there's ANYTHING we can all try naturally, that's the aim.

Thank you for replying. Sounds like you are doing well

• Posted

I too am trying to shift weight post Christmas (I've just found a box of mince pies in the cupboard....they won't last long). I've done really well this week eating porridge, loads of soup (I make vats of the stuff, which is either green or red/orange - its a good way to get lots of nutrients), fish and salad (too cold for salad!). It has worked this week....but those mince pies are calling out to me....

• Posted

I thought you may live there...had to look up some of the meds.

I have OA in the same area, but the facet joints and apparently there's nothing they can do for me, other than the injections, which were disappointingly useless 😦

I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this is all going to get worse and worse and that gives me the heebeegeebies. Frightened stiff.

• Posted

I posted this in the "Prostate problems" forum, but did not get much response there. I used to have pain in my fingers and "trigger finger" on and off. About 8 months ago I started using catheters to empty the bladder, about 5 times per day. It takes alot of hand washing to do this. When I wash my hands I shake the water off into the sink. The finger pain and "trigger finger" have stopped. One theory I have is that the motion of shaking or flicking the water into the sink caused the finger pain to stop ? Another possibility is that the retention of stale urine in the bladder could have been causing the pain (Don't know exactly how)? It could also be caused by something else or just be a coincidence. One other person replied to the post who had a TURP surgery done which cured his urine retention problem, and his finger pain went away after that.

I just wanted to pass this on in case it might be helpful to someone.

Thomas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.