What's due to Mirtazapine WD and what's not? ...So very confused :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all..

I've been feeling terrible; still do. (Thoughts go out to others that are struggling too).

I hope the following makes sense ...just wanted to share my thoughts

I read an old posting of David's (fellow member many will know), this one: [.."I kept tapering to 7.5, and when I stopped, within three days I was in pure misery. That was 18 days ago, and I am still suffering. Abdominal pain, cramps, bloating, insomnia, anxiety, stress, weak, nausea, dry mouth, and others. This is my second attempt, and I am determined to stay off this horrible mess. I now understand why those who abuse drugs sometimes have to admit themselves to special hospitals to detox. The emotional support alone is worth it. My advice to anyone getting off this stuff, or any of the others, if possible, find you a buddy as support that will be there for you 24/7 until you are over the hump, and do it before you start. I hope that this will help someone"...]

The parts in BOLD really really resonate with me!

Thing is, I've become so so very confused now (nothing seems ceratin except my sufferring/pain). I find myself questioning what of my symptoms are related to Mirtazapine/Remeron withdrawal? and what are related to my historical poor mental health/Depression? and what are related to my Thyroid condition (initially Overactive>>made Underative)? and/or my Digenerative Disc Disease (chronic lower back pain)? and what MIGHT be connected to some other undiagnosed 'new' health issue?

The whole situation is complex and confusing.

It seems to me that whereas say a motor car is taken to the carage and goes through a lenghty diagnostic check ..I (many of us) have but a short chat with our GP/Doctor who then prescribes whatever is the med of the moment before being sent home to analyse myself/ourselves. 

SURELY thorough and correct diagnosis with close monitoring and evaluation by extremely capable and knowlegeable clinical practioners is key? (the type of support that a celebrity drug addict might get after going into rehab or a therapeutic clinic/retreat etc).

The recession, economic cuts here in the UK have resulted in many sufferers of poor menta health just not getting the care/support/resources they are so much in need of.

I feel so alone and in the dark ..and helpless  [sad]

Kind regards, Karl

2 likes, 120 replies

120 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh Karl, I am so sorry you are going through this. It's a spiderweb and I feel your pain of being lost and alone.

I felt this way until I went to my ER here in Toronto. I had taken an overdose the weekend before and woke up on a Monday realizing that it was just plain stupid. That was the turning point for me. I finally got the help and support I needed (weekly psychiatric appointments, review of meds etc.).

You may have to just walk in to your ER and tell them what's going on. Hold nothing back. If they dont SEE how you suffer, they wont be able to mark your case as urgent.

That's at least what I have learned for the last 6 months. Stiff upper lip wont get me any where. Sometimes it needs a bit acting to actually make sure that the person in front of you realizes in what a bad place you are.

• Posted

You totally made sense Mermaid ...

Here in the UK there is a massive divide between the poor and rich. If you have money you can afford the very best in health care. Let's face it, if I or you were a famous celebrity ...we wouldn't in desperation be grasping for help online.

If I walked into ER here in the UK I would need to present with an attention grabbing scenario (e.g. suicide attempt or acute schizophrenia etc). Hospitals are keen to save money wherever they can ...and patient services and beds etc is one area that's been hit hard. There's simply too many potential patients and not enough resources. Supply vs Demand thing.

Hope I made some sense ...still feeling lousy ...maybe a 2/10 right now

Take care and Thankyou Mermaid

Karl

• Posted

hi mermaid,

if you don't mind my asking, what hospital didyou go to here in toronto? and did the admit you?  i am so tempted to go and exaggerate just to get admitted, although i know that not right.  you are lucky you can see the psychiatrist weekly.    karl, i feel so bad for you.

• Posted

Couldn't agree with Mermaid more. Only in our case it's AE
    • Posted

Me too Norma...

Sorry if I missed some of your posts ..trying to catch up now.

Please see my post to Mermaid

Karl x

• Posted

Hi Karl, I hope your feeling a little better today though I doubt it.

I don't totally agree with you when it comes to private or NHS in this country,I've experienced both and the NHS was far better.

Ive been in Stafford Hostpital known as the worst Hostpital in the country,twice and my care was wonderful. Private was diabolical.

I think the whole country's messed up at the moment,but I think if you take yourself off to AE feeling the way you do you would be helped. 

If you need help stamp your feet and ask for it.

It won't come to you,chatting on here's one thing

But real help comes from experts.

Sorry if I come across hard but I don't think you should be sitting there alone, in your state of mind.  Take care.

• Posted

You are right Norma ...I just have lost faith in our countries services. For me what it says on the can is far different to what's in the can.

In any event I just haven't got it in me to get into a conflict situation with anyone at hospital just to get them to take me seriously and afford me the care I need.

I'm my own worst enemy maybe ..

I'll weather the storm and rely on the kind encouragement I've been getting from you and others.

Best wishes and much gratitude!

Karl

• Posted

Morning Karl,hope your in for a better day today.

This week I'll be starting to WD from 12.5 to 7.5 but my WD symptoms are not like a lot of you people.   I suffer IBS 24/7 like David so when we WD we get terrible Stomack pain and in my case I have a really bad temper.

(look out hubby lol) then I have to stay at that mg untill it settles down a bit.

so as from now I'm joining you in our quest to get off the worst drug ever produced.

This is the problem they always tell you the side effects of going on a drug.

But never about coming off it,but I don't think many GP no much about Mirtazapine they just prescribe it.

Good luck Karl just hang in there it can only get

BETTER 

• Posted

Hi Norma, You are so right about Doctors not knowing what it feels like to come off meds. Did you get any benifit from it? Have just been prescribed this and after reading through the forum am reluctant to continue. I am curious as to wether I should consider something else. Good luck to Karl .
    • Posted

Lee,I can only give you my oppinion,I do not believe the benefits outweigh the misery from WD.

Haveing said that it has been beneficial to some people,if it's a drug your going to be on for life then that's different,but if like me your told to come off it then no look for something else.

I have taken a lot of drugs in my life time and I've never had such a hard time WD from anything like this.

Id never again take a drug that messes with your brain like this.

But really there's only you can make that decision this is just MY oppinion.

• Posted

Norma hi and thankyou..

Have just finished approx 2hrs of meditation ..prior to that I had a coffee along with some multivitamin and minerals. Next I'm going to drink a pint of warm/hot water. THEN ..I must find a way to leave my home (which I have been a prisoner of for a long time).

I hear you re. your dose reduction and IBS ...do you know I never had tummy problems as such before, but a fallout from what I'm certain is attributable to Mirtazapine withdrawal has been tummy ache/upset, loss of appetite and nausea. This on top of the array of other crushing physical and psychological symptoms (a big one being not able to get a good nights sleep and irrational thinking).

So as you like David have a precondition of IBS ...I would STRONGLY urge you to be careful and pre-empt any for complications or pain possibly through closer attention to dietary/fluid intake ..or even regular tummy massages. Just ideas.

As CITA on their website (although no longer active as an organisation I believe) pointed out ...GP, Doctors etc etc often don't have a real indepth clue and appreciation of the drug. They rely on a vague almost naive understanding and merely prescribe it without providing what I see should be MANDATORY NEED TO KNOW ADVICE/WARNING. As for the pharmaceutical companies (sorry ibmean Drug Cartels) who make it ..WHY are they proving a explicit warning along with how to ween off safely ...that's if there is even a fool proof safe way to come off.

Me? I've lost faith in my GP, the services and support offered to sufferers of poor MH ..here in the UK. Often what treatment and support one gets comes down to pot luck as NOT ALL GPs or Hospitals or Services are even attitudes are the same in all areas.

Sorry for my gripe ...I just angry, frustrated, lonely and struggling to get back to some resemblance of a life worth living.

Be well, be happy, be peaceful ...AND do your best to look after you!

Kind regards

Karl

• Posted

Personally Lee,I would discuss with your GP another option.

The only benefit I got from it was sleep,but even that the body gets used to it then there's no benefit left for me.

There are a lot of people on this site that have benefited from it, but I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons and come to your own decision

Good luck.  Keep in touch.

• Posted

There you go lee, David has started a new discussion on another thread,you read that.  This is some one I've been in touch with for nearly 12mths.

He's from the US so they call Mirtazapine Remeron. Try and find his thread.

• Posted

For me the benefits outweigh the WD problems, even though I've had to go back on 30mg, having been (temporarily) defeated by the wd effects. I'll stay on it if necessary, the side effects have been minimal with no weight gain. Just shows everyone has to come to their own decision.
    • Posted

Lesser of two evils?

Pixie ...wishing you STRENGTH ..and a PEACEFUL MIND!

Its not easy ...I and others know ...and so do you!

Regards

Karl

• Posted

Karl I'll just give you a few of my problems to mill over then yours just may not be to bad.

I have Ephesema,Rhematoid Arthrits,Osteoperosis,a Heart problem,IBS severer,  two weeks ago my healthy husband was told he has Postrate cancer,I have 3sons who of only 1 is of any help to us,1dont speak to us,and1 is being evicted from his house this weekend for none payment of rent.

So personally I don't think Gods been to good to me,I've suffererd Deprestion since I was16yrs old.  Beleive me I totally know where your comeing from.  But like you say all the UK nhs GPs ect ect are a waste of time unless you were born lucky or rich.

Haveing said all that at the end of the day there's only you can fix yourself.

If you can do something about your problem DO IT if you can't ask for help or stop worrying about it.     But as my hubby's oncologist has just said to him pick yourself up and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Sorry to sound hard Karl but you know as well as me you can only help you.

Im like you sorry for the rant but also like you it makes me angry.

You take good care of yourself and get out in the sun

(Vit D) even if you just sit on a park bench and start eating even if it's only a little.   Big Hug comeing your way.

• Posted

Pixie,if Mirtazapine is such a wonderful drug why did WD defeat you?

Why did you have to go back up.  

Nobodys saying it don't have its benefits but if you have a problem WD from that drug,where's the benefit. It's a no win situation 

• Posted

Norma ...I hear you. Really.

Life can and does deal out a teribble hand of cards to some people.

Hmmm what can I say? Pheww. Saying I feel for you just isn't enough. Only YOU know what its like to walk in Norma's shoes.

If ive understood you correctly ...I can fully relate to the added uneccessary hearbreak and shock that comes from the realisation that our kids once grown don't show the respect, love, compassion and support all good parents are deserving of.

Norma sincere love to you and your husband...

I truly wish ..pray ...hope you BOTH find or are given the inner strength and peace to endure. I believe we are much much more than our physical selves.

Peace

Karl

• Posted

Thank you Karl for them kind words.  Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we all respected and cared for each other?

My kids had a good upbringing, but I believe in my case anyway, it has a lot to do with there partners being as I have Sons,but my youngest has the upmost respect and empathy with anyone,as I say he works with Men with mental health issues and he's brilliant at his job.

But he ho such is life.  It's nice to talk about something 

Other than Mirttazapine occasionally 

Take care Karl look after YOU.

• Posted

Hi Norma. I had no urgent need to reduce the mirtazapine, I just thought I'd try it now I've been better for more than a year. However the WD symptoms (zaps, muscle spasms, etc) were making me Ill, partly because they aggravated my ME (chronic fatigue syndrome). I didn't think it was fair on my family who had supported me over the last 6 years, to make myself Ill because of my choice, so I decided to go back on the drug for the time being. Also I've got an important engagement coming up this weekend ( a show I am singing in) and I want to be on top form for that! My psychiatrist has said there's no reason why I shouldn't keep on taking it as it works for me. I hope that explains my situation. As we all say, it's a personal choice.
    • Posted

Thanks Norma ...1 out of 3 that you can be proud of kinda suggests you weren't at fault for the decisions and actions of the other 2. Chances are you're correct ...they've allowed themselves to be influenced. A price good parents pay for. But in time they will learn and feel. Such is life.

Wishing you strength, inner peace and the spirit to endure your and your hubbies fight!

Kind thoughts

Karl

• Posted

Thanks Karl, I hope you had a good nights sleep,because I believe that helps you conquer the days.  Push yourself into getting a bit of fresh air,and try and keep your mind busy,on reading,TV,ect ect whatever your interests are.

Im stuck at 12.5mg at the moment because I can't deal with my problems and my Hubby's ,he can't seem to accept not being well,as he's always been well,he gets very tearful,so I'm trying to keep his mind occupied.

But there you go Karl as they say we all have our crosses to bear.

I think what upsets me more than anything is my kids were my life I never worked I was a stay at home mom,so they always had someone to come home to,possetions they never had a lot of ,but what they did have was a MOM and dads time anytime.      Then along comes some stranger and make them think they had the worst childhood in the history of man.

Im quite strong when I've been hurt,but my hubby I feel for because he would have done anything for them.

but like I say HE HO that's life,and my youngest son will always be there for us.     As for your sons Karl is it just that they don't think or understand,do they come and see you? Or you go and see them? Just the company may help you even if it is just for a couple of hours.

Please look after yourself Karl, and we're all here with you.

Norma  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.