What was a life changing quote or tip that helped you with your anxiety?

Posted , 196 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm Stella, one of the Patient team. We would love to hear about your most life changing tip or quote that really helped you with your anxiety

It could be what someone told you when you were diagnosed or what you have learnt through experience. Anything you think would help someone else in a similar situation.

We will be sharing these on our social media channel to help more people deal with anxiety. If you prefer, we can keep your quote anonymous (so your forum name won't appear with your quote).

Please let us know when you reply with your quote if you would prefer your name to be included with your quote or not.

Thank you so much for getting involved,

All the best

Stella - Patient

42 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When i was admitted to hospital back in Summer 2015 for a physical health problem my anxiety became very unsettled like it so often did ( still does ) when i hospital , local mental health centre , one of the Nurses told me while my breathing was all over the place - breath in an count to 5 , breath out an count to 5 , an so on , does help to settled ones breathing / eases it an you have control of doing that yourself , eventually your body will settle , like wise a panic attack which isn't too serious .

?A copying method of dealing with unsettling situations - overnight stays in hospital , sitting in waiting rooms for appointments , etc - Colouring for Grown-ups has eased my mental health many a time .

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello. I like colouring books for adults as well. I buy them from the pound shop or the post office. I was in hospital for 2 weeks in 2002. Easter and Xmas are difficult times for me because of issues to do with family. In 2015 my blood pressure was 180 and the doctor was going to medicate this but I asked if I could exercise instead. He was the same doctor who medicated my anxiety and it made it worse. I changed my doctor. I am aware of this time of year again. 
      Report Reply
  • Posted

I once told myself, if my brain tells me that I am sick, by giving me chest pains, I counter it with running, just to prove myself that the pains are not real.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Stella , my life did'nt change much with anxiety . 

But a few tips helped me a lot . 

- just ignore panic attack & thoughts 

- learn to accept anxiety 

- try to stay active 

- do things that make you calm 

- never Google symptoms 

- trust doctors opinion 

Donna 

Report Reply
    • Posted

I been doing that... google symptoms and it makes my anxiety worse and even after doctors told me that im totally fine. Thats one thing i got to stop....
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Agreed.  I bought a book on anxiety/panic and what to do.  It made me worse - I could feel panic starting up whilst reading.  Stupid.

I find regular deep breathing several times a day good as it constantly releases toxins and calms your brain.  And if I start dwelling on anxiety for no reason and feel a bit of panic starting, I change whatever I am doing straight away and say out loud - just go away, you are a pain in the btm.  A hypnotherapist said to me when you feel it coming on shout STOP - I dont want you and also to force a big yawn which realises tension on the vagus nerve in your throat which you have constricted with unwanted thoughts.  She said and like magic it will dispell.  Not used it yet but know it is there if needed.  Just will be a bit odd in a supermarket shouting STOP - will sound like a Citizens arrest lol.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I need to stop googling symptoms. If I believed every self diagnose from Google, I would have a few types of cancer, some ailments that only males can have (I'm female), and who knows what else. That is a reason why I have health anxiety. At times I can tell myself not to Google my symptoms, and I won't. Other times, it doesn't work.

The "ignore panic attacks and thoughts" sometimes works with me. Sometimes when I have a pain that can "trigger" an attack, I can either can ibuprofen and after a while the pain goes away without me making a mountain out of a mole hill. Or I can try to do something to keep my mind busy to keep an attack from getting to bad. But it doesn't always work.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I’ve got disagree with your last point. Most doctors are not to be trusted when it comes to anxiety. In my experience I found that they will shove you on any drug to help you feel better but in reality the drugs can make it become worse or make you dependant on them. I saw a psychologist for cognitive behavioural therapy and he told me to avoid drugs and now, opposite to what I was months ago, I am no longer scared of panic attacks and even though I still get them (very rarely) they are completely different and do not affect me as long as they used to. I honestly think through various methods including CBT I am the road to full recovery
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.