why did i test positive and my partner didn't?

Posted , 95 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hsv 2 last week, my partner tested negative.  I dont understand that how is it possible that i only have it? we had unprotected sex for a month. We are both depressed.  I feel disgusted with myself for having this. We care about eachother alot but i do not want to give him this nasty disease. Were both saddened by not being able to be with eachother. How do people continue to have a sex life if u can always transmit the disease? ?

5 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi rda85,

I was just wondering what test you took that let you know you were HSV2 positive when you did not have an outbreak? I have gotten cold sores since I was young, so definitley have HSV1. I was told that if they do a standard blood test that the I will test positive for HSV as I have the antibodies in my blood already, but that they would not be able to tell me if I was a carrier of HSV2 as well unless I had an outbreak and they could get a swab sample. I had some pain and discomfort down there after a secual encounter, but the area was just very red and there was a small cut,  not a bump or blister so I didn't think to get it tested. Now I am paranoid that I am a carrier of both HSV 1 & 2.

So I am just very curious as I would like to know how I can get tested to see which type I actually have. Any information is helpful thank you! 

• Posted

There's a blood test you can do that says hsv1 or 2. Yes you're right the majority of population will have hsv1 but that why there is a different blood test to distinguish the two.

Go get it swabbed asap if you're that worried

• Posted

I just found out that I am positive hsv1 and 2, my boyfriend is positive for 1 only. How is this possible when we've been sleeping unprotected for almost 3 years. His wife made a comment to me a while ago that he gave her herpes, but at that time I didn't believe it.

• Posted

So I found out I have herpes most likely from my husband he had an affair I use to throw up almost every day and even lost weight after finding out ..my thing is that now when I get upset I break out so bad I take the acyclovir everyday because it seems like the breakouts are continuous and I'm mentally really messed up partly because of this I've told no one other than my husband He has not shown any symptoms and it's just killings me inside that I have stayed with a man that gave me an STD I'm scared disgusted And depressed can someone please help me my brain stays running about this or suggest what to do Thanks sorry I'm really upset 

• Posted

I'm in the same boat after 35 years of marriage. How do you know he gave it to you?

• Posted

Has your husband been tested?  I found I have after becoming extremely ill.  Then I had my first break out.  I immediately thought is was from my boyfriend of 6 years.  Turns I had it all along.  He tested negative.  I tested positive.  My gyno said I have been Lilly carrying it for years.  It was dormite until my immune system was weekend. 

He and I talked about it.  I spoke with my therapist also.  I suggest u husband get tested.  Then find a good marriage Counceler who can work with u both to come to a resolution.  

• Posted

I need help please. I tested positive for genital herpes and my boyfriend didn't. Although my boyfriend tested positive for the "cold sore virus" I never had cold sores before being with him. He got a cold sore and I kissed him anyway and got a cold sore. We have been sleeping together unprotected for 2 and a half years. I don't understand how he doesn't have genital herpes. I was told that I have type 1 so because he gets cold sores I now get sores on my genitals which has only happened once.. is that where I could have gotten it from? We rarely ever get cold sores and they're small, on the corner of our mouth. When I had the sore on my genitals it was one small sore also. Please help me. He doesn't believe me that his cold sore could have contracted to me as genital herpes also? Am I right or am I wrong? I'm just blown away. I need to know.

• Posted

the first time i got tested for hsv 2 is in 2013, and the result is positive.  But i never have any syntoms or out break, so i never took any antibiotic and just let it be. I just got tested again, and the result is my igg hsv2 is negative and igm hsv2 is positive. I am confuse, if it was long time ago, shouldn’t my igg also positive? what should i do now? should i take medicine? but i didn’t have anything, not itchy, nothing..
  • Posted

I got it all figured out ! We are positive for hsv-1. I paid to talk to an online doctor. 95% of adults have come into contact with hsv-1 and it can break out on the genitals but it usually only happens once. Normally you get a cold sore on your mouth or lips. Thank you for replying smile
  • Posted

Ive been with my partner for 4 years (my only sexual partner), i just had my first outbreak and he has never had any symptoms? I believe he may have got this before we started dating. Is it possible that im only having my first outbreak now after four years?
  • Posted

What should i do if you just had Pap smear evening came back clean but i never got unrine test , or blood for Genital Herpes i Only Got all that done when i was pregnant and nothing was never brought up to my knowledge should i find new doctor , get re tested to make sure so i Make sure i never had any outbreaks or symptoms. I haven’t had any sex but from my child father little over year after that i never had any sexual contact with no one but Year later i did . My obgyn Doctors doesn’t know what time they said they would have to run Lab room and see and I’m very confused and ready for this to be over so it can be big relief i honesty think this doctor is just very full of it and do not take health seriously 
  • Posted

is it possible to test negative even if my partner may be positive? He went down on me and got cold sore near his lip the very next morning - weve been together for 2 years and none of us had symptoms. He then got genital outbreak a few days later amd sure he got herpes from me. Im going to get tested today but i have never had any outbreaks. Is it possible he had it from years ago and something triggered it now unrelated to me? Or is that not possible. He's never had unprotected sex but he has maybe gotten a b******b from someone that had it. He def didnt in past 2 years. Just need to know if possible i test negative and he is positive and for him to try to find out when he got it so I'll be in the clear

• Posted

Hey guys w I was in a relationship with a guy for 4 years after the 2nd he told me how he acquired herpes and I was willing to stay with him. So last year the condom broke while he was having an outbreak and I was hospitalized for herpes bc it was severely hurtful and very very painful. I take meds for it due to my immune system being so suppressed by my other meds and I have little outbreaks around my butt but nothing like the first time. 

Now I have started dating a guy I’m really falling for and I want to tell him so bad but I don’t know how I’m scared of the reaction and losing him I need advice on when and how to tell him.

• Posted

Abt 1 month Before my current bf i was being a littke reckless sexually, well not in a crazy way but i had unprotected sex. Almost a year ago i went to the doctor because i saw a snall sore...the doctor swabbed it and said it was just friction from shaving. I got with my now boyfriend in October of 2017 and we would use protection off and on. In april of 2018 i went to do a pap smear and routine std testing, everything came back negative except for trich. I took antibiotics and retested many times up until june 2018 and all came back negative which is confusing because my bf is my same partner and we had unprotected sex again so idk how when i retested i came negative. Fast forwRd on one event of restesting i did a home std full panel. I tested positive for hsv 2. Shocked... i never had any signs or symptoms and i did not kno that hsv testing was only provided when asked. My index value is 2.85 im not too sure what that means but i am worried. and only these past 2wks have i experienced tingling and frequent urination but no blisters. My last hsv test was in 2013 and it was negative so it had to be passed to me in these last 5yrs but idk when and from whom. What should i do? Why am i just now tingling? And should i retest? How can i find out when i got it? My bf gave me unprotected oral last week and if he has it wouldnt he have symptoms by now? 
  • Posted

I hope your still reading and replying to this thread. I need help. Just yesterday I had sex with a woman who informed me via text message this morning that she has HSV2. I am scared beyond measure. We did use protection but I did give her oral and she bled on the condom and there was a little blood on the base of my penis. She told me this morning that the only way I'd have it is if she had an outbreak and she says she hasn't had an outbreak in 8 years. She also says she takes the meds daily and have done so for the past 8 years. I want to know for myself but don't know what to do or where to go....please help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.