Why did you get a knee replacement?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Why did you get a knee replacement and at what age? Was the pain unbearable or walking impossible? Do your knees look the same or they have a different appearance?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maria

Knee replacement aged 60 in January 2018. multi fracture and osteotomy in 2007 following fall. 

Additional multi fracture op in 2013 following another fall. 

Immense pain knee out of alignment by over 12 degrees glaring out from knee to the right. 

Difficulty getting up and down knee locking. 

Much much improved since op. 

• Posted

You’ve been through a lot. I’m happy to hear you’re doing much better now. Take care!
  • Posted

RTKR January 2018, age 60.  In my youth, for some reason I always seem to injure my right knee... I torn my ACL, and  had both of the meniscus removed because they were so damaged from

running and karate.   In my mid to late 50s, my right knee started bothering me and I was told it was just bone on bone and at some point I would want my knee replaced.  Starting October 2017 I could no longer bike, walk or do much of anything because of the pain in my knee so I decided it was time.  

• Posted

Hi Maria

?Is this research or are you in the unfortunate position to be needing a knee replacement?

?My knees started giving way at about the age of 50. But it wasn't until I tore the meniscus at age 58 that my problems really started. I had knee surgery to trim the meniscus at 60 but shortly after osteoarthritis had cause my right knee to be bone on bone. The pain was unbearable and walking any distance was a real issue. It took another 2 years before I literally couldn't walk more than about 200 yards so had a medial partial knee replacement. Followed by exactly the same for the same reasons 6 months later (5 weeks ago) on the other knee. Without the surgery I had no life and found it impossible to walk. My first knee started to improve and was better than before the operation. My second knee is still very very painful and swollen and no better than before - I am hoping with exercise etc this will change.

The knees eventually do look the same as before, however this is yet to be proved with my latest knee which of course is still swollen.

?Bottom line, I don't think anyone would have this operation unless there was no alternative, its brutal, painful and doesn't always give you the results you would like and certainly not without a great deal of time, patience and effort.

• Posted

Hi there! As for now I don’t think I need KR. I’m 22 now and my problems started when I was 17 after a sports injury (no one could tell me for sure what it was, it was probably an overuse injury so I didn’t tear anything in there). My pain seems to start every time I try to exercise. I tried a few leg exercises a month ago an ever since then I’ve been in pain more or less. My problem is that my job is very physical so I had to take some time off for but I’m meant to be back next week and I don’t know if I’m ready yet. I’m scared the pain will come back again if I go. The most frustrating thing is that I used to have no problem whatsoever at work before I did those exercises (they weren’t many, just like a few leg extensions). 

I’m scared that if I keep going to work I’ll damage my knees completely (even if I’m really young, only 22, it’s not normal to feel pain in your knees).

Went to my doctor and he gave me Naproxen, had an X-ray (everything was fine) and did a blood test and I should get the results on Thursday. If nothing comes up from my blood test, hopefully I’ll convince them to give me an MRI as I’ve never had one before and for some reasons you have to actually beg doctors here to refer you to an MRI.

• Posted

Hi Maria. I had a knee replacement at age 62 because it was becoming increasingly more painful, especially getting up after sitting awhile or getting up from a low seat. I have walked a lot for exercise and I couldn't do it for very long without pain in my knee. I also had to quit playing tennis because it was just too uncomfortable. I'm glad I had it done, though I can't say it was easy. I worked hard at PT and it was probably 6 months before I was playing tennis again and comfortably walking around. Now my other knee has become quite painful so that is scheduled for June. It became obvious to me when the pain started being the focus of my attention most days. The scar I have is very light not all that noticeable. My knees look the same except the one that has not been replaced is puffy and swollen at the moment.

• Posted

My first replacement followed a consultation with my surgeon after I had been getting continuous (every 8 to 12 weeks) cortisone injections in my right knee. Following an X-ray my surgeon told me I had severe arthritis in both knees. The first op followed 12 weeks after. Following the first op my left leg improved due to the work that the right leg was doing. 

I eventually began to have trouble with my left leg and put things in motion to have to the second op. I was advised by my surgeon to stop any injections in the left knee as they tended to soften the bone.

Waiting for my second op I did muscle strengthening excercises every day in the hope my recovery time post op would be enhanced. It proved so and I was swinging my operated leg in and out of bed  on the morning following the op. To date I’m doing great with the second op.

• Posted

I’m glad you’re doing so well these days. Wish you all the best and a pain free life!
    • Posted

Cheers for that and anyone else our there.
  • Posted

"Why did you get a knee replacement?"

I had four (4) scopes (two each knee) to repair meniscus tears and ripped-off femoral condyle cartilages over the years...result of playing hockey for 45+ years.  This left very little to no cartilage in the joint.  Combine that with advancing arthritis and a bone-on-bone situation, another scope or shots would do nothing for me.  I had used Synvisc injections successfully for many years and then a move to a warmer climate helped greatly. The pain was starting to become annoying on the left side to I asked the doc for options...only had one.   From my first scope to TKR #1 was a 15-year time span; I still have to do #2...someday.

"...and at what age?"

TKR was done at 68.  I am now 2+ years post-op and feel great.  Yes, there are permanent post-op restrictions on pounding the knee (running, jogging, almost all competitive sports) and also twisting/torquing the knee.  Big no-nos.

"Was the pain unbearable or walking impossible?"

No...just a bit annoying.  I wanted to get something done while I was fit and active enough to do the rehab.

"Do your knees look the same or they have a different appearance?"

For the first year, the TKR knee will always look a bit larger because of the swelling involved.  This goes away gradually.  The knee will swell more if you push the knee too hard during recovery.  You should not do this.  The knee will be healed when it's healed...very Zen.  At two years, they look pretty much identical with the TKR one a shade larger but really unnoticeable.  Remember...you have a giant mechanical device implanted in your leg!!!

We have noticed on the Forum that female patients are more concerned with residual scaring than the males.  There are a lot of posts on here regarding creams, ointments, voodoo ceremonies, sacrificing to the God of Knees, etc. to reduce the scaring.

If you are considering a TKR, know the reality before you jump in with both feet...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-pre-op-expectations-622045

For almost all of us, the first few months are extremely painful, even with the heavy duty opioids, you have to do PT to get your range of motion (ROM) back and then go on an exercise program to rebuild your atrophied quads, glutes and core.  Most people are back to work with little problem in 4-6 months; before that and people report a lot of pain and swelling.  The whole thing takes a full year start to finish.  Yes, there have been very rare exceptions who skate through this in a few months but that cannot be expected.  In truth, you must leave all your expectations and timetables at the door to the OR.  The knee will control your recovery time...period.  Nothing in your head will make a difference.  Push the knee...pay the price.

This is what a TKR recovery actually looks like...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

Post it on your fridge...and don't forget the oars for the boat part...

• Posted

Voodoo ceremonies, sacrificing to the god of knees😂😂😂 I laughed, thanks for that. Your description sounds very realistic. Thanks for that!

• Posted

But...  I don't think there's a orthopedic surgeon on this planet who will do a TKR on someone so young.  I mean...there may be extreme exceptions out there but I've never heard of one.  We've got people in their 40's who need them and have to fight like hell to get the op.  But 20's?  Please let us know how this goes.  You could be a very unique exception...

• Posted

I’ll definitely keep you updated! I don’t feel like I need a replacement, I don’t think my problem is that bad, but I always think about the worst case scenario. Wish me luck.
  • Posted

You read the good now the bad. First had a torn meniscus when I was 44. Use to be an Electrician and it did my left knee in. The 1st surgery led to 2 more which evolved into a nightmare. Since 04 I have had 17 surgeries this includes 5 TKRS 1 infection numerous scopes and partials. For some reason I have been thu too much. I have had great surgeons but for whatever reason things have not turned out well. Now I am looking at having another surgery fairly soon the implant is failing and it was improperly placed. I wish things were different but it is what it is and I make the best of it.
    • Posted

Gosh that sounds terrible 😟 None deserves that, but you’re trying to be positive and that’s a good thing. Hopefully you’ll be alright soon and able to enjoy and live life to the fullest. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.