Why did you get a knee replacement?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Why did you get a knee replacement and at what age? Was the pain unbearable or walking impossible? Do your knees look the same or they have a different appearance?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Had a TKR 6 weeks ago at age 58 .Started as knee felt like was giving way quite a lot also severe pain behind knee at back above and below bend. Also the only way I can describe it was like someone was dragging/tugging if you had long hair all in the mentioned area(I know a weird comparison but that’s how I can explain it).Now after op have stiffness constantly in knee and still some swelling and walking is an effort although I don’t use a crutch I do have it handy just in case. I have been told it may take around 12 weeks to return to work but as I do a very manual/lifting/ walking up and down stairs my belief is I’m not to be rushed. Hope this is of help 

• Posted

Definitely don’t go back to work too soon or you’ll probably regret it. Take your time to recover. Take care!
    • Posted

For how long had you had the pain before you decided to get the operation?
    • Posted

I would say started playing up for about a month and forced me to have the odd day off work as unbearable but as most people know work don’t like that so then went in to have a MRI and X-RAY and was probably only expecting him to say they would go in and tidy up around area. But was hit with the TKR answer due to severity of arthritis.Once he said I needed it I waited about 5-6 weeks till op.🤞

• Posted

My work is not very understanding either tbh. I asked them if I could request as much unpaid time off as I wanted and they said yes and I sent a request for next week as well and they ignored it and gave me a bunch of shifts and I have no idea as I still have mild pain in both of my knees and I have a feeling it will get worse again if I go back.  Might just need to leave this job tbh, I don’t think a physical job is for me anymore. I’m really scared of what an MRI could show. Who knows how much damaged I have caused before the pain even started again. I’m so scared ☹️
    • Posted

Apologise for spelling mistakes, there’s no way to edit comments on this website.
    • Posted

Work/life/balance is the thing at the moment and I would hope they have a HR department that perhaps could accommodate your requests. I am fortunate I am going through the works healthcare as I have been here over 15 years but others may not have this option depending on service length . As for changing jobs that may be the choice but putting off the MRI scan whilst still in pain ?. Hope you can resolve without to much upset . Like to hear your outcome if you wish to share..
    • Posted

Doctors won’t give me an MRI. I have an appointment on Friday so hopefully they’ll finally decide it’s time to get one. 
    • Posted

Noticed the lack of editing. Checking my spelling before I post now.
    • Posted

Yes. Notts. Wondering myself where some of the ‘cripples’ like myself are hobbling along. The medication terms are strange boy I think the site has some link to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle on Tyne.
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

?I had a partial knee replacement, right knee, medial compartment (that is, inner left part of knee, which was bone on bone), on 6 Nov 2015, aged 71. Why .... osteoarthritis had taken hold and I could hardly walk or get up off a chair. Both knees now have an almost identical appearance and I'm totally pain free, although I am aware I have an implant and that my right knee feels different to my natural knee on the left.

?As a teenager, on a galaxy now far away, I did a lot of high jump at high school and seemed to develop an unorthodox landing technique often causing a knee injury. Fast forward to when I was 56 I stumbled and fell with my right knee in pain. I had torn my right knee cartilage. A surgeon cleaned the joint up but advised I had the onset of osteoarthritis.

?Now here is the rub .......  in the 15 years from 56 to 71 my right knee tilted from outside to inside and was bone on bone. This pulled my whole right leg geometry out of alignment so that I ended up with a dysfunctional Si (Sacrilliac ) joint which then caused me as much pain as the knee.

?The brilliant surgeon I had to do the knee replacement re aligned my whole leg geometry so that I got two fixes for the price of one.

?Post Op I didn't bother about trying to walk again. I figured that would come naturally the big issue was to deal with the pain so that I could do my exercises 5 or 6 times a day every day until I could throw away my crutches. I have a heart arrhythmia and am on warfarin (Coumadin if you are in the US) and am limited as to what pain relief I could take. However, I managed - I also sought help from a sports injury massage therapist who - as soon as my dressing was removed and I was clear of infection - began massaging the incision line and the surrounding area of the knee to prevent scar tissue forming. My stitches were of the self dissolving staple type so no going back to have 'stitches out'. In the end I was back at work driving buses in the tourist industry, handling passengers baggage in 11 weeks and relatively pain free, had to take the occasional pain relief. Since then I've had no setbacks.

?No further problems from the Si joint either !

?The only thing is if there is a weather change coming I can usually feel it in my knee long before the weather forecast says the weather change is going to hit - I'm talking about having nice sunny weather and it changes to colder, wet weather. I can feel it.

?At the end of the day pain before surgery was pretty much unbearable. Pain during recovery depended on the way you administered your pain relief - but in my case it was a passing pain only.

?Hope that helps. May the force be with you.

?John

• Posted

Quite a story. I am aware that I’ve had both knees done but no real pain. Like you I am aware of rain coming though. Never considered massaging the scar tissue area and never made aware of it. I know since the last op I have thick tissue in the area of the scar but hoped it would just go away. Now, having read your comment, I am going to massage it away. Thanks.
    • Posted

A long painful story to say the least, but it’s good that you were able to go back to what you used to do before op. If you’re in less pain now that’s all that matters. Thank you for sharing this and all the best to you as well! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.