why do i constantly feel nausea?

Posted , 175 users are following.

I am constantly feeling sick!! it doesnt start first thing in the morning but throughout the day it just emerges. its now at the point where i choose not to eat if i feel sick because i completely loose my appetite, which is making it worse because im then hungry too( but eating just makes it worse)

I also have severe emetaphobia (the fear of vomit) so i am constantly worried about being sick due to it(another reason i dont eat if i feel sick, to prevent vomiting)

I have counselling for the emetaphobia so when i feel sick it is cast off as being 'in my head' by my counsellor and family.

i feel like i am stuck because i dont want to go to the doctors incase they give me any medication that has vomiting as a side effect but i cant keep feeling the way i feel because it is taking over my life.

There has got to be a cause for the nausea, i refuse to believe it is my 'anxiety' from emetaphobia that is making me feel this way.

I sometimes have really bad headaches that last for 5-10 minutes consisting of sharp pains in the head and over the eyes. I also have shooting pains in my lower abdomen, but whether this is linked to the nausea i dont know.

Any suggestions????

19 likes, 292 replies

292 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel the exact same thing every single day. It even keeps me awake at night and I never have any sleep. This post describes me perfect! I have taken everything under the sun to help with the sickness....ive went to the hospital and they did tests and can't find nothing wrong at all. But they say that it could be ulcers or my gallbladder. I hope you find some answers out soon!!! I have the same phobia so I always try to keep it all down. So far, so good. One thing I hate is vomiting. I'm 23 and I haven't thrown up since I was about 12 years old. I refuse!
  • Posted

Hi tee i know this post has been over a year and I hope you're not feeling like this anymore. I've been feeling nauseous all the time for the last 3 months and it is really frustrating since when I'm hungry, I would not feel like eating due to nausea which made me loose weight. ( I'm 18 years old and weighing 43kgs now, used to weight 48kgs).

I also suffer from emetaphobia, and so when I'm feeling nauseous i start to panic more and it just gets worse. 

This is related to my acid reflux and now I have an barium test in 2 months to see where this is all coming from. Hope all goes well .

• Posted

I experience the nausea effect all of the time, too!! The thing with me is I suffer from anxiety and I am almost always convinced it is the anxiety causing the nauceous, because the minute I lie down to sleep, my belly is overtaken by millions of "butterflies" and that is what causes my nausea and I immediately have to sit up and keep sipping on water and try to think positive for my anxiety to go away (it never does, though.) My anxiety has become to chronic that I feel nervous (the butterfly sensation) for every little thing which causes the nausea, and I also feel anxious for no reason, too!! I literally cannot go into a car without feeling to throw up (also because of social anxiety) so it is absolutely difficult for me to get to anywhere, that's why I cannot bring myself to go to the doctor. It's really the worst thing for me to experience as i was never like this, I would always go out and have a great time with people. Now, the single thought of going out makes me feel sick. Because of this condition, I get very depressed to the point of wishing I could die and be released of this burden. But I have my faith and trust in God and that's keeping me going. :-(
    • Posted

hi, sorry to hear what your experiencing, it sounds like it could be the anxiety causing the nausea, but its possible there,s a physical cause for the nausea and the bouts of nausea make you anxious, vicious circle, are you able to eat ok. But sounds like your anxiety is severe and you need help with it, l experienced severe anxiety in the past and didnt want to go out or could cope with it, near agraphobic due to it, had a few panic attacks when out, its really horrible way to feel, and is going to make anyone feel depressed.  Its good you have faith trust and hope, as lots of people have experienced simular at one time or another and have with time and help got through it, But l think you do need to talk to dr who should be able to help support you, if its really difficult for you to get to dr,s surgery, can you talk to a dr on the phone, or a support grouip in your area.  lt could be there is also a physical cause adding to it, maybe a deficency in vitamins, or iron, which the dr could test for, whichever l hope you can get some help. Keep strong and trust youll improve, best wishes
    • Posted

Hi, Lynne. I do take iron tablets for low iron and I am also anemic. The Doctor who diagnosed me with the anemia and low iron had suggested that I talk to a psychiatrist for my anxiety, which I did. But the psychiatrist herself was snobby and I wasn't comfortable speaking with her, and so that was no help. I know I musttt see another one, or even a psychologist, I just can't bring myself to make the appointment. Aahh!

How did you overcome your severe anxiety, though??

• Posted

Oh! Regarding my eating; it's always difficult for me to swallow anything when I'm feeling like this, but it is ABSOLUTELY important that i take my time and force myself to eat. That usually affects the nausea, as well. If I give trouble to eat lunch and eat too little, or if I eat lunch too late, that's trouble for me. Sometimes, work gets so busy and I lose track of time, that's why I would eat late. But I always have to constantly force myself to munch on things because the emptier my stomach, the severe my nausea.
    • Posted

Bad luck when you get a consultant you cant relate to or feel uncomfortable with, more difficult if phycalogical as youve to see more of them, but you should be entitled to see someone different.  Can you try something like gaviscon or ginger for the nausea, l had anxiety depression twice, lst time there was an underlying physical problem which hadnt been diagnosed, meaning suffering symptoms for a long time with no reason given, which can get to your phycalogical state, it took years but l did get diagnoses eventually and that means a lot to know whats happening and getting treatment, But did the doc say why youve aneamia, usually a reason for it, and that wont help, as it does affect with tiredness and other things.  l did get anxiety another time and saw phycologist, they were into cbt, cognative therapy, which l found using did help me, l cant recall if l had pills at same time, which is common, but some can help short term.  Make appt and hope you get someone you can relate to next time, good luck 
    • Posted

I do take Gravogen for the nausea and motion sickness. It doesn't keep me from feeling nauceous, but it keeps me from throwing up. I will ask my GP if he can suggest another psychiatrist for me, or maybe a psychologist. The snobby psychiatrist I went to suggested I do yoga therapy since I want medication to be my last resort.

I developed anemia from heavy period! Hemorrhaging and clotting often. Until finally I went to the doctor and she put me on the pill to regulate. So my blood count and iron is very low due to that.

Anyway, thank you so much for your advice and encouragement! :-) I'm on instagram @_fransolo_, if you're ever wondering how I look! Haha. Xx

• Posted

When l had nausea l must admit gaviscon rennies didnt help mine, ginger did a bit, so glad its settled, terrible to feel that regularly. l got aneamia same way, after birth of my son, flooding and clots, always on ferrous sulphate for it, that wont help till it gets back to normal.  l think a phycologist probably better, as you know what your feeling and with it enough for a phycologist or therapist to help. My son is a therapist,he asessed people, and refers them to right dept, theyre so mown out with people and not enough consultants that its long waiting lists, drives him mad, all of them, knowing people need help and theyve to wait months.

He practised on me in early day,s, lol, that was a trial for him, l try to spare him now, but he lives away so lve no choice,  Anyway l hope you get sorted with someone you can relate to better, without yoga, good luck

• Posted

I've had this throughout my teenage years ( they were probably the worst). I have an extreme fear of being sick or being around anybody who's sick. Whenever I felt ill it was an endless cycle of not wanting to eat incase I threw up. It affected my years in high school quite a lot , both in lessons and at home. I would panic in class when feeling sick because I didn't want the humiliation of throwing up in front of people. If I was at the front of a classroom or in a room in a long corridor , the fear got more extreme. The same thing would happen at restaurants, cinemas and on public transport.

The thing is , out of all those times I felt sick , I never actually threw up. I'd break out in cold sweats , have a panic and it would only seem to stop when I could be near a door that lead outside of the building.

I've got A LOT better now , and although I don't have a definite cure I do have some things that can really really help.

1) always carry a plastic bag with you, it's always there for reassurance - just in case you get panicky - and really helps calm your nerves when you get stressed.

2) on public transport , for a bus sit as close to the door as you can. Remind yourself that you can leave at ANY time , which should calm your nerves while traveling. With trains - I always siton the seats opposite to the toilet - and tell myself that it's there if I need it.

3) ginger is amazing. I carry gingerbread round with me and nibble on it when I can't bring myself to eat enough during the day. It really helps with the nausea.

4) keep a bottle of water with you, take small sips now and then to keep hydrated.

5) the fear of throwing up becomes worse the more you think about it. Whenever I'm panicking , I just tell myself - I can leave this situation at any time and take a break - it's ok to step outside and have a few minutes.

6) when in busy places like restaurants and shopping centres , familiarise yourself with the toilets and exits - this will put your mind at ease if you want to leave at any point.

7) I've found it much more contained to travel / hang out with friends - knowing that you're with somebody who's there for you calms down the anxiety.

8) remaining calm when youre feeling sick really does help, sit still and take deep breaths and tell yourself it's going to be ok.

9) I've not been properly sick since I was 7 ( 15 years ago now). To ensure not getting a bug I follow certain rules to ensure that when I feel sick I can know it's my anxiety and not a bug. I'm very strict with food hygiene and best before dates , always washing hands before food , don't eat food that appears undercooked or smells off and stay away from people who are sick. It's proved to be very effective and I've not been ill since.

10) I've found that pinching my arms or sides of my neck ( not too hard - not self harming ) distracts the sick feeling.

I hope these tips help, they've really helped me to cope better with my fear - and allowed me to do things that in the part I would be terrified of doing !

• Posted

Hi, at the moment I am also feeling like this and I don't know what to do! It's taking over my life to the point where I end up crying over it. I feel sick but after a few hours hungry but I am scared of eating in case it comes back up. What do I do???
  • Posted

Hi 

I have had this problem for 3 months now. It is very annoying and I feel vomiting when I see food or smell it, started using my appetit, after eating I usually feel worse and my stomach makes noises. All of those blood tested were negative for me as well. If you have solved your issue can you please let us know how?

• Posted

l started with nausea several month ago, near constant from waking to bedtime,though never really felt l,d be sick or was, but  lost my appetite, 

just tea and oat biscuit few times a day, maybe toast or small sandwich if settled in eve, movement exertion made mine worse. l,d also bloat up at times with belching, Even when l could eat a little, went off tinned foods, ready meals, dairy products, drank spring water, lost 2 stone.

Scope showed a bit of gastritus, put on omprazole, been on them 3month now, took 3 wk to settle, still a bit iffy at times and still on plain meals, though eat a bit more, and also ultra careful that food is very fresh, no spices, or  processed, also wary with meds, even pain killers, use gel or patches iff poss, drink spring water, ginger l found quite good, also take probiotic, yogurts. hve you tried standard gaviscon type stuff.  Anxiety can cause symptoms, but it can also by physical, youd need to see a gastrologist and have scope to find out if theres a physical cause, dr,s arent beyond dismissing symptoms as phycalogical when physical cause, so its best if you can have it checked out.  good luck with it.

• Posted

Hello everyone.

It's refreshing to hear that other people are experiencing these same issues on a day to day basis, especially after ive been told its all in my head or im making these things up for attention. Sorry all of you have this same problem though.

Mine started when i was a kid, maybe second grade. I have a severe phobia about vomiting, and after reading other posts here, i can safely say it started after seeing another student get sick in church. I am now 30 years old, battling with this every single second, every day.

I have been to numerous doctors, and i have seen some of the leading experts in the gastrointestinal field, in California. Not one of them can come to a diagnosis. Ive had a colonoscopy, endoscopic, gastric emptying study, endocrine panels, stool test, urine test, blood tests, thyroid test, ultrasound, sonogram and a few ct scans. The only thing that was confirmed is that i have an endocrine disease called Klienfelters. An extra X chromosome. It affects my testosterone. I have testosterone replacement therapy shots i do every other week, indefinitely. Nothing else was wrong, yet im nauseated every single day. It is bad in the morning, every morning. It usually peaks about 3 hours later and continues until i get ready for bed. Trying to sleep, it gets worse, sometimes waking me up at night.

I also recently, maybe 3 months ago started to experience a lump feeling in my throat. Made me more nervous, which makes me more nauseated. Dizzy feelings or the feeling be being disoriented, walking around the house and things seem super vivid and almost surreal. I cannot go to restaurants, i cannot see movies, take public transportation, or even go to a carnival or fair because my nausea dictates my life. I cant hold a job down because im sick more than the average person on the account of my nausea. I ruin every relationship because i cant commit to anything. Ive lost a total of 47lbs over the last 2 years because of my decreasing appetite.

The medications ive tried or take have been Xanax, Clonopin, Valume all for anxiety. Since i cant sleep because im nauseated i have taken every type of sleep aid over the counter and am now on Rameron, which used to work well, but makes waking uo near impossible. I take Zofran for super nausea attacks, which seem to help. I have never spoken to a psychologist about my phobia, so i dont know if it would help.

I fear this constant issue will ultimately be the death of me, and having delt with this for so long without any relief, i feel ot will never be solved. If anyone has any suggestions, or thoughts or tips, please share them. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my long post, and take care!

• Posted

I left out a few symptoms. About 4 months ago, i got a headache that was in the back of my head, neck and shoulders that was literally debilitating to the point i couldnt mov . The worst pain ever, and it lasted for 13 days straight. Ever since, i get a headache every other day along with the nausea. I also experience very bad stomach cramping, and constipation lasting a week to 10 days.

• Posted

l thought my experience bad enough, lasted 9months continual from waking to bedtime,worse with exertion, just walking about, but had to shop, do household jobs, so it was 5-10min sit down let it settle a bit half hour then do a bit more, but never felt l,d be sick or was, Sometimes it would settle a little in the evening, it didnt keep me awake but if l woke to go to toilet it would be there, it is a soul destroying feeling when constant, l lost 2stone, no appetite. They did find bit gastritus, omprazole given, l guess youll have tried that,l,d also take amitrip occasionally for sleep l0mg. l guess your not taking any meds long term that could cause it, l think anti bs long term affected me, l expect youve been checked for coeliac, or maybe something your allergic to, lactose, gluten.  Some people with gastritus get a lump in their throat, l think being dizzy and disorientated is to be expected when your continually nauseous, and not eating, 47lbs is a lot weight to lose, it is debilitating. But you seem to be saying yourself that you think its caused by anxiety, and its been with you a long time

Its no way to live for someone young, bad enough when older, l dont think it can harm to see a phycologist, at least you can tell them how bad it affects you, see what there response is.  There is more info on the gastritus thread from others whove simular, might have more advice. l really hope you cant get something to help.  best wishes.

• Posted

I have literally the exact same problems as you except mine happens at night and I I'm under weight for a medication I have been taking since 3rd grade(I'm now in 9th grade) it has been so hard to live with ik how you feel
    • Posted

Ed, have you ever found relief? Not one of the people that has commented on here has come back for a update. Looking for answers for my extreme nausea and sickness. Hopefully you see this and update us! Thanks!
    • Posted

No relief as yet, it's getting depressing tbh, I've just drank some ginger and honey and it was horrible but I've drank it all, 😁 Will need to buy fresh ginger but I'm not looking forward to it.

I wish I knew what it is that's causing this, it's true when folk have said its deliberating, I feel old before my time as I feel ill all the time, I've made up my mind to go back to the Dr's once again, last month I took my first ever week of due to being ill, something I haven't done in over five years, I had permanent headache and sickness and I felt rough as hell, she put it down to Migraines, I personally don't think it was, I don't know what else I can say to her for her to test me or put a camera down my throat. I need this to stop ASAP. I hope we all find answers soon so we can start living our lives. Thank you for the reply. Good luck

• Posted

I am scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow, drinking the prep stuff now. I have been sick since January, seen a bunch of doctors, had a bunch of tests, and have more to come. I want an answer, but I'm afraid of it too, you know? All I know is this nausea and sickness needs to go!
    • Posted

I hope it all goes well for you, hopefully they will find the answer. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Debbie . How did you get on with your tests? Emma
    • Posted

Tests were good, doctor says clear. Had a very small polyp removed, but said it was nothing. Said looked good, don't have to take PPI anymore, but Zantac as needed. Going back for follow up appointment on Tuesday. Still having nausea daily, and pain on left side, under breast, on ribs. Went to GP for that today, she says costochondritis, prescribed prednisone. I think the nausea is worse than any of it, to be honest. 
    • Posted

I know Debbie I agree living with nausea is the worst ! You must be relieved all your tests have come back ok.

Have u ever tried a good quality acidophilus from health food places. In the past I found it really helped me after a pharmacist recommended them? Emma

• Posted

Probiotics yes. I'm now trying other things to boost my immunity and stop inflammation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.