Why is Zopiclone so awful

Posted , 22 users are following.

Will somebody tell me the reason for the hysterical comments, and hate

campaign against this sleeping tablet . Please don't tell me to read 

yards of stuff on different forums and sites, What is so bad  about it. .

I get sleep, and nothing else, (thankfully ). 

It can't be so bad ,some people have used it for years,so they say, 

So, no yelling or shouting, or soap box attitudes, just tell me, nicely,

what it's all about  ..

1 like, 155 replies

155 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just to agree with most people's response to you here, the problems with Zopiclone seldom manifest while you are taking it for sleep problems. The point here is that, as soon as your Dr. stops prescribing, or some situation occurs that prevents you from being able to obtain your Zopiclone, you suddenly become overwhelmed with withdrawal symptoms. This may happen with one person who was taking only a single 7,5mg pill nightly, while others won't have withdrawal problems unless they were taking a couple of these or even more, and then were suddenly cut off. The main thing here is people are being cautioned not to let the drug take over your common sense approach to using it to your advantage. Some people have a tendency to keep adding more of the medication to be able to fall asleep, so that in the end, they are taking 4 or 5 or more pills to be able to get a decent night's sleep, and then they are suddenly cut off and go into horrible, if not dangerous withdrawals. So, just don't let yourself get caught in that mess. That is all I would caution. Peace out.
    • Posted

Hi, I take 3,75 size, which  sends me to sleep with the help of Radio 4

On such a small dose,I don't have any loss of action the next day, no

sleepiness, just sharp and active, because I have slept. I have no need or intention of ""upping the dose" and if one day they find a cure for Tinnitus ,I won't need it any more, Thank you for comments.

• Posted

The problem is, the people that are following these discussions have mostly "all" abused zopiclone? I've read quite a few responses and they all complain how bad zopiclone is? Of course they'll have adverse reactions, they're over dosing! People that zopiclone works for won't be following these discussions, there's no reason to, works great for them! 
    • Posted

Not all people here are Zopiclone abusers. I, for one, am not. I am only trying to help by giving what insight I have with Benzodiazepines and Z-Drugs, in the hope that I may be able to provide that knowledge a person may need to find some relief from the unpleasant position they have found themselves in. I have also never taken more than I am prescribed. In fact, I have never taken the full dose that I was being prescribed for about a year, and found myself going off of it for periods, and then back on it again, depending on whether or not I felt it would be more beneficial to use it or not, at any given point in time. That is why a 3 month prescription lasted me longer than 6 months. But, I was, at the age of 17, one of the collateral victims of what I often refer to as the great Hoffmann-La Roche lie. This "great" company is currently one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, amassing approximately $48 US billion in 2014. When I had inadvertently become addicted to it in 1971, the pharmaceutical compendiums of the world had it listed as a safe drug that showed no signs of pysical or psychological dependency. That was because that is what they were told to write in there by Hoffmann-La Roche. I found out, just as many here did with Z-Drugs and Benzos, what it is like to be suddenly cut off of something thatyou have been told was safe and effective. It was extremely effective for me, until I was cut off. My withdrawals were something I never expected. I was rendered unable to eat, walk, or talk properly within the first week. This was due to the fact I was taking more than I should have been taking. But, my Dr. had no qualms about filling my prescriptions whenever I wanted them filled. Since I believed they were safe, and knew they were effective, I increased them to the point of playing with them. That was 45 years ago. Now that I know what can happen, I am very careful how I use these classes of drugs, benzos and Z-drugs. At about the 8-10 day point in my WD experience in 1971, I began to hallucinate. The hallucinations did not last long (just a few seconds at a time - and only for a couple of days - thankfully), but the anxiety continued to rise to the point that I felt hopeless. Nobody believed me when I told them I was addicted to valium. Nurses and Drs. would say "No, I looked it up in the pharmaceutical compendium, and it is not an addictice drug". Who was I but a 17 year old kid who didn't know what he was alking about. The neurological symptoms are very difficult to describe, but believe me when I say that one feels that the threat of death is ever present. Anyway, sorry to go so far down that road. Suffice it to say that I do know what works for me when deciding to discontinue the use of benzos and Zs. I can only tell people what I have done and know will work. If it works for them, wonderful, but if not, they may need to tweak my methods somewhat to accomodate their physiology. Peace out.
    • Posted

I am terribly sorry if I confused anyone with my post above, but I forgot to mention early on in my comment that the Roche company drug I was addicted to was VALIUM.
    • Posted

It just goes to show, how these drugs effect so many people in so many diffent way. Unfortunately in 1971 Diazepam (vallium) and fluxetine (Prozac) were the brand new wonder drugs that would cure the world.
    • Posted

There were about 30 million people who ended up in a similar mess as I did in the early seventies, with Valium. Prozac, though it was developed by Eli Lily in '72, wasn't used medically until the mid 80s.
    • Posted

Hitting the nail on the head. at last, someone who understands that

all drugs cause problems if abused,I suppose the reasoning behind

"One's not working ,better take another""kicks in and spirals from there.

I do read these forums, and am guilty of starting a few ,trying to find 

someone who is happy, as I am , that Zop does the job..but people

like to wallow in  the negative side and bring on this  hate attitude for something ,which ,as you say, works for the majority

I am enjoying my first coffee of the day, after having a GOOD night's sleep ,however Tinnitus is on full screech, and cannot be ignored,

so, Radio 4 and coffee it is .  

• Posted

thank you, for your comments, you freely admit that you were over 

dosing, but you did not say ,by what amount , If you had taken the

suggested dose do you think that the side effects would not have

surfaced, I take the dose  advised, smallest one ,and have no side

effects at all  What was the reason you were given the drug ?

it was obviously some sort of mental state ,Valium and the stable

of similar drugs ane not healing drugs.  How many different drugs

did you take at one time ??Are you as unhappy as you make out ??

• Posted

Well, that was 45 years ago, and I simply do not recall by how much I was overdosing. It was valium, not Zopiclone, and my best guess would be overdosing by anywhere up to a factor of 4 times the prescribed amount. I was being prescribed Valium at 10mg Qid, so I guess I was probably dosing as much as 160 mg daily. And you ask questions that are based on your assumption, incorrect assumptions at that, so it is probably best to accept as fact, the things people say, and ask questions within that framework:

[are you as unhappy as you make out] ???

[it was obviously some sort of mental state] ??

[how many different drugs at one time] ??

All assumptions.

• Posted

No one answers the questions ??  No facts are given ,by anyone, 

I was not making assumptions, just asking for a little guidance into the

fear this drug seems to arouse

• Posted

But, Jacqeline, you did ask me 3 questions that are based on incorrect assumptions you made. Here they are again, with a note from me on one each.

[are you as unhappy as you make out] ??? What did I say that makes you assume I was or am unhappy?

[it was obviously some sort of mental state] ?? What was said in my OP that indicates there was any mental state in anyone that would elicit such a question?

[how many different drugs at one time] ?? This makes a huge assmption, again an incorrect one, that I was on more than one drug at the time, because I wasn't. Can you show me what was said that brought you to that conclusion?

Also, in your response to me, you make mention of "the fear this drug seems to arouse", speaking agains of Zopiclone. If you may notice, my post was part of a broader picture of my experience and the part I was writing about, primarily, was my experience with Valium, because the methods to get off of the 2 classes of drugs is very similar.

• Posted

Assumption is --------when you think you know the answer

Questions are------ when you don't know the answer

The tone of your post gave me the impression (not an assumption)

that you were not happy, y best friend can always tell when I am down,

it's something one conveys without being aware.

Cocktails of drugs do fight each other and cause the intentions of

different drugs to react badly, as I learnt from a careless doctor

who did not check which drugs I was on,and could have caused 

me a bad reaction. Hence I stopped taking prescription drugs.

I think I have answered all of your questions. 

• Posted

Zopiclone is very easy to build up a tolerance to and those on this site like myself use it to support each other , if you don't think you have an issue then you don't need to be on here , im not saying that in an un kind way zopilone now is a controlled drug , like diazepam , morphine and many others because of its addictive and side effects , you may not have that experience but millions of patients do , good luck if you don't
    • Posted

Hello did I really ask you all those "Nosey " questions last year ??? How Rude, !!! how are you, . not an intrusive question, I hope.? Thought i would just pop into this forum to see if it's contributors were a little more friendly. One can hope rolleyes

Jacqueline. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.