Winter wonderland

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have awoken this morning to a lighter dawn - yes we have snow. Not as much as some parts of Yorkshire but enough to look absolutely beautiful. A blanket of pure white across everything, quite eerie as it also muffles sound and there is nobody else around as yet, no traffic noise, and not even any birds to break the silence.

However, this means I shall struggle to get about today, my main shopping day. Though I have shopped on-line I prefer to see what I am buying and don't believe their substitutions are always necessary. Still, that will be later on. For now I will enjoy my coffee and toast in this peaceful wonderland. I had quite forgotten how amazing the sight of virgin snow is.

I hope everyone is well, keeping warm and feeling as peaceful as I feel this morning.

Jacee

xx

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How can I tell that we've just got too much time on our hands today?

Ann x

• Posted

Oh Ann, What a beautiful scene! Thank you so much - and its lovely that we can click on it and see it full size! I wish I knew how to do all that technical stuff! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Love Van xx
  • Posted

I'm glad you liked it.

It really is easy to upload photos. Please ask if you want to learn.

3 steps I think and done!

Take care,

Ann x

• Posted

I have spent all day diligently typing and not even taken a lunch break, so feel I can now knock off work with a clear conscience. First job- check for new messages. Oh WOW, the snow scene is absolutely beautiful, thanks Ann. :snowman: Now I am wavering again - towards loving the stuff - see how fickle I am??

I am taking time out for a cuppa and snack with Van,:cupcake: :redwine: Oops, :oops: make that :coffee:

Keep smiling all

Jacee

xx

• Posted

YORKSHIRE

The snow is coming down thick and fast; at least a couple of inches in the last hour. It looks so beautiful but it is going to imprison me. I cant do photo's and uploads and stuff but I am sure you can all imagine the scene. I don't live in countryside but on the edge of a small ex-mining town. It overlooks (if I crane my neck and screw up my eyes) a greyhound racing track. I can't see the dogs (or the track) but from where I am sitting can see the floodlights and, because of the snow coming down, the lights are reflecting and it looks like daylight. Makes me think. Brenda Shaughnessy asks in her poem, What colour is snow, \"What is snow? What isn't?\" and answers by saying , in part:

\"It's true that snow takes on gold from sunset

and red from rear lights. But that's occasional.

What is constant is white,

or is that only sight, a reflection of eye whites and light?

Because snow reflects only itself, self upon self upon self,

is a blanket used for smothering, for sleeping.

For not seeing the naked, flawed body.

Concealing it from the lover curious, ever curious!

Who won't stop looking. White for privacy.

Millions of privacies to bless us with snow.\"

Beautiful.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

'Morning jacee,

Thanks for a beautiful poem. I read it just before I went to bed last night - what a lovely end to my day. Vanessa x

• Posted

Hi Jacee,

What a lovely poem - I shall go and seek out the rest of it. Thanks Jacee.

.............and honestly it is very easy to upload photos. It shows you just below the box that you write your message in.

Love Ann x

• Posted

Happy Tree Day :D .... Yes, I am joining Flossie1's early tree club! 6ft tree is now standing proud in corner of lounge - 'tho still naked except for fairy lights (-the tree, that is! :blush: ). I can't dress it until Izzy is here to do it with me - I would never be forgiven otherwise.

Looks like I'm having a simple but stress free Xmas this year. Isaac and Izzy's main pressies sorted, daughter in law Claires' too. Did quite a few smaller gifts and stocking fillers on Amazon this morning while having breakfast . One lucky person will be getting a book of Brenda Shaughnessy poems (thanks for that idea jacee!). Must say, the internet really comes into its own when it comes to Xmas shopping - it's a virtual Santa's grotto!

Like last year, the only 'real' shopping I shall do will be the trip to a supermarket for Xmas foodie treats, and that's more of an exciting trip out than a chore for me, as its only 2 or 3 times a year that I get to see the inside of a supermarket. That really is fun - Claire takes me in her car, and we allow ourselves as much time as we like and wear silly Xmas headgear so as to 'get in the mood'. I love it! I've also ordered a couple of comedy DVD's (Tim Minchin, Dara OBrien are couple of faves) so that I can

have a good old chortle with my hot mince pies and Irish coffee on Xmas Eve. Gosh! I'm almost done already!

This Saturday p.m. we have our village Carol Service on 'Big Green' around the Xmas Tree, along with the turning on of the lights and much drinking of hot mulled wine. We raise the funds for the lights ourselves, so there's no 'council cutbacks' there as has happened in one or two places. In addition to Carols, we sing the usual 'Twelve Days ..' and other such pagan favourites! Afterwards it's only about 30 steps back into the warmth of home!

Well, hadn't meant to write that much when I started - was just going to say that my tree was up :roll: I think the pile of ironing that awaits me might have something to do with my rambling on ........... Vanessa X

• Posted

Hi all,

1. van, although I am going away for Christmas I am so jealous of you and Flossie putting up trees. It is one of the things I miss most.

2. Glad you liked the poem.

3. Van, your shopping with Claire and carole/pagan singing both sound like lots of fun. Again I am wishing we lived closer. (I have just corrected a typo as I had written \"carole/pagan sinning\" - mmm).

4. Ann, glad you liked the poem. Uploading is simple you say? I presume this needs a digital camera? - That is another thing I have yet to master. I use a very old fashioned point and click thing as this is about as techi as I get!

5 I managed, with lots of problems, to get into work this morning. (Even the \"main\" roads were snowy and the B roads were terrible; and that does not take onto account the problems I encountered getting onto the roads in the first place). I stayed three hours but then hubby was ringing me to say that we had had three or four more inches of snow at home and if I did not return I may not get back. So, I have brought paperwork home and missed another Court attendance.

6. We have had at least another four inches of snow today. None of the roads around here seem to have been treated. When they are they only do the main roads and that is not much use if nobody can get to them is it?Others were talking of driving as far as was safe and then walking home, but of course I did not have that option as my house is about a fifth of a mile from the B road and I knew I could not walk that far, even in the Spring!. Lots to do though - writing this in my lunch break. Must get back to it now

Jacee

xx :snowball:

• Posted

Glad to hear that you are snug and safe at home jacee, didn't like to think of you struggling through that snow! Love Van X
  • Posted

Hope that Carole is coping ok. Looks like there is snow in her neck of the woods too........
  • Posted

Not sure why this needs approval - we all know that Carole lives in Eastbourne - it says so in her profile.

Jacee

??????????????

• Posted

Hi Jacee, -( I keep checking back in anticipation too). I think all pics automatically go 'for approval' before we get to see them. I know I waited over an hour to see yesterdays beach pic. Also, I'm not sure how it all works with mods etc. Perhaps they are gone early to avoid snow etc? Hope it does pop up eventually though.

Like you, I haven't a clue with all this hi tech stuff. The only camera that I was ever happy and confident to use was one of those instant polaroids that were all the rage about 30 years ago - I loved that I could see almost immediately whether the photo was as I envisaged. Great for snapshots of the children Xmas morning etc. Perhaps one day soon I will get round to having a mobile phone with camera - or even just a mobile phone! But in all honesty I can't see what I would do with it for most of the time.

Well, back to putting the ironing away :angel: - almost got to see bottom of the basket for once! XX

• Posted

Hi Jacee and Van,

Obviously I haven't been to Eastbourne :lol: well not today anyway, so I got this picture from the BBC news website. I saved the pic in 'My Pictures' on my computer and then uploaded it on here. Don't know why they are taking so long to approve it - it's not controversial not even that exciting - just made me think of Carole and wonder how she's doing in this cold snap.

I'll stop uploading photos I think cos it's affecting your self esteem. :P

I don't have a camera on my mobile because in the words of Michael MacIntyre I would keep wondering why I got a photo of my ear every time the phone rang and I answered it!!

Keep warm,

Love Ann xx

• Posted

Hi Van

God I loved my Polaroid - so many memories!

On a more serious note - mobile telephones. I was also extremely resistant and only ended up using one because work insisted. I still only use one for calls and texts as I cannot do the other stuff that is usually represented by lots of letters (like SMS, DVDs and ROMs, I know what 2 out of three of these are!). However, I have found that it makes my life so much easier. I can text friends just to say Hi or to catch up - much cheaper than a 'phone call. It is very handy for this when abroad as I can text for almost the same price as at home whilst telephone calls can be very expensive. It also makes it easy for my kids to get in touch. Last point - I recently broke down about 12 miles from home in the dark, wet freezing weather. My mobile let me call hubby and the AA (who were out in less than 30 minutes - big cheer). Having said all that - I came home today and left it on my desk at work!!!!!!!!!! They only tend to work properly if you have them with you.

:oops: :erm:

Jacee

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.