withdrawal symptoms. .

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone else been on tramadol and finding giving them up very difficult?  After about twelve hours without one, I get trembling hands, nausea, horrifying nightmares, breathlessness. . . If you're taking tramadol and haven't tried giving it up yet, maybe you shuld think about getting off them as soon as possible. I've been taking about 100 mg a day for five weeks , quite a low dose. . . .and I have to say that it really helped the pain, and let me do the exercises and walk . . .but if I'd known giving them up was so difficult, I may have thought twice about it. . . Never thought I would be an  addict, but basically that's what it is. . .

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have also been on Tramadol for 6 weeks 100mg 4 times a day if needed and zapain in between...to be honest I have found that I am not taking as much now but I have been taking zapain for a year and even the morphine did nothing in hospital so maybe I am intolerant to them lol....They don't affect me really but I do know they can become addictive...your doctor might want to wean you off and give you something of a slightly less dosage.I know tramadol are a controlled drug as my daughter had to sign a form to take them from pharmacy....good luck
    • Posted

thanks!  I was using a  composite called Zaldiar, which is 37.5 mg of tramadol, and 500 mg of paracetamol . . In the information given with the drug it says that it'can' be addictive very rarely, in more than 1:1000 and less than 1:10000 . . andlike an idiot I thought it wouldn't affect me! I've given them all to my husband, and told him only to give them back to me if i turn into a screaming lunatic!!

• Posted

Tramadol Hydrochloride is a narcotic that has a strong connection with the family of Opioids, and is therefore habit-forming.
    • Posted

Yes, so I have found out!!!  wonderful stuff for stopping the pain, but definitely dangerous!
  • Posted

Withdrawal symptoms from Wiki:  

Physical dependence and withdrawalLong-term use of high doses of tramadol may be associated with physical dependence and a withdrawal syndrome.[36][37] These include both withdrawal symptoms typical of opiate withdrawal and those associated with SSRI withdrawal, including numbness, tingling, paresthesia, and tinnitus. [38] Psychiatric symptoms may include hallucinations, paranoia, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and confusion.[39] In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12–20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary.[38] Tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids; seven days or more of acute withdrawal symptoms can occur as opposed to typically three or four days for other co

• Posted

Yes, I know!  But it's hard to know what they mean by long term, and high dose.  five weeks, and 100 mg a day is fairly long term, I suppose, but certainly not high dose!  Anyway, cold turkey for me. . this time next week hopefully I shall feel human again!
    • Posted

I've had to withdraw from some really bad meds during my fight with epilepsy and the best advice I can offer is that you have to go very slow, and you have to accept that somedays (as we all know) are better than others and that (in my case) you might have to take that med you don't want in order to avoid a problem.  That doesn't mean you have failed, only that tomorrow you try again. And accept that it is really a bad feeling and realize you need a quiet stress free place to do well at this.
    • Posted

thanks for the advice.  I'm going to try dropping it altogether . . but if it gets really bad I'll try to get a lower dose from the doc, and do it gradually. Unfortuantely, you can't cut the tablets in half for some reason . . it says that in block capitals!  Doesn't mention that the terrible withdrawal symptoms are so common though . . 
  • Posted

I have been taking tramadec. 325 /37.5 mg. tramadol acetamin. I don't think I'm addicted, but I haven't tried to give them up yet. I take 2 in the am and 2 in the evening. I have been taking them for a year or more because of arthritis in both knees. One is good of course but I'm on the list for num 2. My dentist told me that he found getting off the Tramodol after his hip replacement was just terrible. I'm hoping that mine is very mild. Good luck. 
    • Posted

It's certainly not good! . .lots of symptoms, nightmares, trembling, flu like symtpms, depression . .and it's only the first day . .  Hopefully, the first day is the worst, but on internet I am seeing that some people can take two weeks to feel normal again!
    • Posted

By the way, I had no idea I was so addicted either!  They don't make me feel any different . . just control the pain . .but now I'm giving them up I realise just how dependent I am on them!
    • Posted

Second day today . .feeling better, but still sort of trembling although it's not actually visible. . just feels like it!  Knee hurts more though!!!
  • Posted

Thank you for the warning, Valerie. I have a packet of Tramadol prescribed about a year ago for severe pain but. I. Have never taken one.   I am no stranger to pain but  I loathe medications which often cause worse problems.   E,en morphia gives me hallucinations.......but I rather enjoy those. BRING IT ON! 
    • Posted

Depends on the hallucinations I imagine!!!  Most people seem to have rather horrific ones!  I'm a bit of coward although I can inflict quite a lot of pain on myself during the exercises. . but hate it when someone else (phsiotherapist!) does it to me!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.