Worried

Posted , 8 users are following.

Constantly depressed college graduate in a job search as I lost my last one due to drinking. I went to a detox center and was sober for 2 weeks I am currently back to drinking as it started Friday. Part of my reason is I have nothing to do and can't handle my stress. I am seeking therapy currently. I was always so popular and a star athlete in college now I'm so scared to leave my house with anxiety and depression it's reallly killing me. I don't want to give up alcohol for good as I'm only 23 but I need to learn to handle myself. I'm so frightened I'm going to have a seizure every day for some reason as I suffer from anxiety. My drinking habit started as relief for my anxiety which it did an excellent job as I would drink every night in college but now it's making me feel hopeless. I don't think I would ever drink if my anxiety and depression but my symptoms are serious and no medication is working I hardly sleep. I'm afraid of wvetything this absolutely sucks

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was fighting all day today was sober for nearly 16 hours, but I kept checking my blood pressure and it was really high. I don't know how accurate the thing is but my hypochondria really set in and I started looking up symptoms. So I had a drink and am going to try to limit myself tonight

• Posted

Well I can tell you now, stop checking your bp.  I have had a bp problem for years and bought a home monitor - an expensive one to make sure I was not going to be conned.  Every single time I took it - it was far too high and that was at home!  Went to a different doc coz mine was not available for something else not related to bp - he said he would like to check my bp - he did and said - yes I am happy with those readings - it is all in the mind - I obvs was working myself up just putting the bp cuff on at home.  Stupid, but that is the mind for ya.
    • Posted

I know it's up from alcohol and when I see it shoot up I begin drinking again I just can't get these thoughts something bad is happening out of my mind. It's frightening I need to just get over this.

• Posted

You might want to check into picking up some L-Theanine, it's an amino acid that's available at supplement stores. It helps boost your GABA levels and can help considerably with anxiety. Not a sure-fire thing, but when it works it works well. 

Gabapentin has been used off label as an anxiolytic and also helps TSM work better. There have been studies that show it helps drinkers get deeper sleep too. 

Julieann mentioned that you would have to detox to use TSM, but that's only if you are on NHS. While traditionally it's been used in the US to help people maintain abstinence, doctors are coming to the realization that it can be used while the patient is still drinking. TSM itself was designed to help people that are currently drinking to either reduce their drinking or eventually abstain entirely. Prior detox isn't necessary. 

• Posted

Tomorrow I have stuff lined up 2 job interviews and I haven't been leaving the house but obviously going to force myself to do so also hoping to get a workout in at some point. Wish me luck guys

• Posted

Hi Ade

Julieann mentioned that you would have to detox to use TSM, buts that's only if you are on the NHS

Yes that is true, the NHS does advise this. However, when I wrote the post I knew that this would not apply to Jake as he was from the US. What I was concerned about was the fact that Naltrexone can make some people withdraw rather quickly. I was unsure at the time of writing, if Jake might be in danger of dts and seizures. He had already stated that he had recently been detoxed and had some withdrawal problems.

Hopefully, Jake will be able to find a gp from the list you have sent him, who will give him the best possible and safe advice.

Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

Thanks, JulieAnne!

Yes, I believe NHS follows NICE guidelines for using Naltrexone. Indeed there are private clinics in the UK that are willing to prescribe Naltrexone to be taken per TSM (while drinking), though the patient's current consumption and condition has to be taken into account. 

In the US, doctors (that are familiar with Naltrexone) are used to prescribing it per guidelines that are similar to what NICE specifies, it can only be prescibed if the patient will maintain abstinence. There are a number of doctors that will prescribe it to be used for TSM and there have been a number of studies on "Targeted Naltrexone" as well. Still, I fear the bulk of physicians in both the UK and the US haven't heard of Naltrexone, let alone TSM. 

• Posted

On another note the alcohol isn't even working for anxiety anymore my once go to cure is now just as if I didn't drink anything. Not fun

• Posted

Yeah, that's a total drag. I hear it a lot though. 

I understand the same thing eventually happens with benzos, so be wary of prescriptions for those unless it's just a short course. 

• Posted

Hi jake

I can't remember if I've said this before or not!

One of the deciding factors in me asking for help and determined to do something positive, was that alcohol wasn't giving any buzz at all. In fact it made my anxiety  worse in the end. I still took antidepressants till mr dr said stop taking them if you're going to keep drinking.

He likened it to a set of scales. Put the antidepressants on one end, so obviously that end went down, proving that antidepressants made my depression less.

However, put the alcohol on as well and they both rose. Then do the same with just alcohol on the scales. Simple example of what happens when you take alcohol and antidepressants together. Don't bother as the alcohol, being a depressant on its own, counter attacks any good the antidepressants are doing.

Only you can decide what you want to do, antidepressants on their own, without alcohol. Or remain as you are and neither will improve, you'll end up needing more alcohol week by week, until you can't function at all without it and it's hocked and reeled you in, hook.., line and singer.

Very impressive analysis Mr S

• Posted

Went to my interview today just got home now 12 noon where I am. My anxiety was through the roof being out in public afraid something was going to happen. I need to get over this I'm not going to drink today just to prove this is anxiety I'm not having any withdrawal symptoms just bad anxiety and boredom with a little frustration.

• Posted

Gave in drinking now depressed and tomorrow and life are going to suck
    • Posted

Stop beating yourself up, it's counterproductive. Set realistic safe targets. 10% reduction a day is what my OH was advised by a detox nurse and a gp. Swap the hard liquor for a softer option such as wine or beer. You need to measure your units and yes, complete a dreaded drink diary to see just what you are consuming. Never give up hope.

It can be done. The less you drink the better you will feel. Remember, you are fighting an addiction. You are not the problem, the alcohol is the enemy.

Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

That's right - I went from 20 units nightly to 2 small glasses Monday to Friday then Saturday/Sunday 1 bottle each night. The less you have the less you need.  But I did it the 10% way gradually.  One night I did it by 70% and felt weird next day so it was too much too quickly.  It is slowly does it and you will find because you are not being deprived totally, you are happy with that way of lowering it. May not work for everyone but it has for me and I do feel a lot clearer headed (albeit knackered through lack of sleep) - but give me that any day than the dizzy cloudy head with alcohol all next day.

I now plan of having half a bottle on Sat/Sun and then hope to go to 2 small glasses all week.  It is what works best for me and at least we are trying.

All the best.

• Posted

Anybody know any good techniques or something to do for social anxiety. I'm cutting back my intake drastically and I'm having weird fears of leaving the house

• Posted

tricky one Jake..not certain about your fears leaving the house. Has this happened before? Regards Robin
    • Posted

Sorry jake - missed this  - not sure why!

I developed this at one point a few years ago now.  I just did not want to leave the house and the more I did not the worse it got.  I went for counselling and keeping a diary of feelings.  I eventually realised how futile it was and the only person suffering was me.

I have just bought a book on mindfulness which is really interesting and gives you many exercises of various lengths to use which are really good and calming and just put the brakes on your brain which may be running at full throttle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.