vaginal atrophy woes

Posted , 8 users are following.

My dr has been treating me for what he thought was bacterial vaginosis. After months of no relief and running every lab test he could think of, he has decided that I have vaginal atrophy. I have been taking estrogen and progesterone for over 4 years. I am 47 and went onto menopause early. Today my dr gave me samples of Estrace vagonal gel to try for a week and return to see him in 7 days. I am bummed and a little scared. Can anyone tell me your experience with trying to get relief from vaginal atrophy? What has worked best for you? What do you use when you make love with your husband so that you aren't afraid that you're going to tear or burn really bad? I am intetested in both traditional medicines, as well as a more natural alternative. Thanks!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what are your symptoms other than painful intercourse.?what have the test results said about fibroids?

sometimes you can get one in your cervix.

a polyps is difficult to spot and can cause havoc. have you a lot of gas.

i'm thinking that the hormone treatment your on should prevent atrophy.

dont get bummed. that hurts even more. (sorry i couldnt resist that comment)

if you are using lubrication and sex still hurts, then maybe something is travelling south.

i often wonder how doctors can judge where your uterus and bladder should be.

where it was all located before your problems.

ie before and after  pictures.

have you had pregnancies?

has he ruled out prolapse?

i'm just thinking out loud.

i'm 3 something years without a diagnosis so what do i know.

please lets all know how you get on.

• Posted

My vag is irritated, slightly itchy, and small tears just happen. My dr has tested me for bacteria and other diseases. I am low dose hrt and I haven't wanted to increase it. We are using Estrace and I did the first cream last night. This morning I already feel better there. For months, I have felt like vag was trying to come out. Today I am on my feet and I am not uncomfortable. I need to wait before my hubby and I do anything. Dr said my tissue us thin and it needs to build up. I will have more dr checkups to see how and if this will work. It is messy since it is a cream. I wonder about the pill insert that I've seen on this site. I just wish I I didn't have to be on hrt, but I've tried before and I was miserable, miserable, miserable.
    • Posted

Hi missbg

so glad you feel some relief, i use ovestin ( estriol) vaginal ovules and i think they sooooo help, they are not as messy as cream, I do have the cream too, for the outer bits and for external vag entrance skin, keep it plump.. 

can so relate to you hun

keep using as it so helps, ( does me anyway )

jayx

• Posted

Jayneejay, how do you use the ovules? I assume it is by Dr prescription. Did you use it every night at first and then a few times a week? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi missbg

i am post meno hun, age 50 and dryness an issue ( no hrt) just these.

not sure where you live .. As not available everywhere i dont think,  am in southern spain..

yeah the Gyno did a full check on me and suggested these .. He noticed the vaginal atrophy straight away 😳

Ovestin Ovules and cream .. ( called ovestinon here) 

i began with cream and found it messy, but the ovules are not as messy, they are sooo soothing and nice.. 

That prickly feeling is soothed straighaway.

i dont use as many .. only occassionly .. But they are very good 

here you can also buy them from the farmacia too.. 

Jay x

• Posted

its just as well we can get a lot of medications in the farmacia in southern spain as a lot of prescription drugs were cut out a few years ago along with medicos wages.

which brings me to ask how on earth can you get stuff if you dont know it exists.

i'm also wondering about hormonal based creams and potions we rub in our skin or introduce where the sun dont shine.

are our menfolk absorbing it.

mine already has moobs.ha ha

• Posted

Hi Chica

dont know about topical hormones here, as dont use them.

i never have any problems with health care here now at all, always pay private anyway.

took a while to find a good Doc and Gyno but got there 

take care 

Have a good weekend 

jay x

• Posted

i'm not having much luck with the system or private docs.

after 3 years without diagnosis.

6 gynnos said i had calcified myomas which are normaaal and a private one said i needed a hysterectomy. that made the alarm bells ring.

this last week i've had a second around bout of ct scan and barium enema.

i refused a second go with the colonoscope as i was tortured.

i was told if i wanted a general anesthetic for that, the waiting list is 2 years.

you could'nt make it up could ya.

i also was sent to a urologist who was such a gentleman.

he said i had chronic pelvic pain but i already knew that.

i await my resultados but my appointment is on 25th june.he ho 

• Posted

Hi chica

Blimey sorry to hear all that.

I see a brill Gyno .. wouldnt go any where else now.

must be a daunting time for you

Never heard of such things before,

Poor you ..

Maybe different areas vary .. Dont know..

Take care

Jayx

• Posted

my telephone town code is 95252.

whats yours?

• Posted

My doctor prescribed Estrace too and I have been getting hot flashes since using it.  Crazy cause I am 64.  Anyway he also mentioned using coconut oil as a lubricant if I have sex.  I have no partner right now so I don't know how well it works.  Doc says it works well.  Give it a shot!
    • Posted

hi,

my gynno found a fybroid in my cervix which probably contributes to my painful sexlife.

i await a polypectomy and hopefully i'll get the other beasties sorted.

lube is lube whatever you use.

however i use virgin edible coconut oil for just everything.

in the summer its like liquid oil and in the winter or fridge its like lard.

i'm nearly 67 and recently discovered its great on my face, hair,cooking, frying,salad dressing and of course sex.

its pricey but so are face creams and decent olive oil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.