TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone, after having total knee replacement surgery experienced restless leg syndrome in the surgical leg?  I ache at night and I’m having trouble sleeping. I’m 5 weeks post op. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

TKR surgery requires a lot of nerve damage. Nerves are the very last thing to heal as the healing process is slow and then as they reconnect they have to refute. Refiring can and usually does create a lot of different sensations such as burning and heat and the jerking in the leg can be part of it. Gabepentin is often prescribed as is lyrics. The icing and elevation are part of the rehabbing as well. This can be a slow and frustrating process that can make you want to scream or cry. Talk it over with your primary care Dr as they are generally better than surgeons for dealing with pain. There are some creams and lotions than some have talked about but I can't vouch for any of those. I have always used Vit E oil to massage the leg and wound (after it was completely healed and no longer draining). It actually heals all the way to the bone.

• Posted

Hi Sooosan,  I find a couple of aspirin 30mg are helpful for restless legs. Sometimes we overlook the simple remedies. 
  • Posted

Yes I did but only lasted a couple of months. I found having a little wonder round the bedroom helped plus a good rub. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi

I had a right leg TKR in July of 2016

It took me 10 weeks before sleeping more normally.

I used the Aircast ice bucket / knee wrap all night until 13 weeks

I found really hot baths before bed helped me.

Regards

• Posted

Yes I had it but it wasn't just in my leg at about 3 weeks it started ,and lasted a good few weeks it seemed to come on more when I got into bed at night my whole body felt restless, I am 14 weeks post op and it's completely gone now hang in there, I was pleasantly surprised how much better I began to feel at around 10-12 weeks hopefully you will be the same good luck

• Posted

Pam - thats encouraging news that around 10-12 week you were feeling better. The tightness in my knee feel like it will never go away.  No matter how many stretches I do it still feels so tight.  Did you experience this?  
    • Posted

Yes I still have some tightness but as the swelling starts to ease down it won't feel quite so bad, keep on with the icing it's so important, good luck

• Posted

Hi I’m 6weeks post op after a tkr and I’m like you. Have difficulty sleeping due to restless leg syndrome and not pain just aches. I’ve tried taking amitrypiline but it doesn’t help. I just use ice pack and read do crosswords till I eventually fall asleep. It’s a nightmare but saying that it will pass. This is my 2nd tkr and was exactly the same with it, 3 years ago. It actually took 5/6 months for me to feel ‘normal’ again. Hold tight as it’s all worth it. 

I’ve found with this tkr I’ve been very emotional and fed up. 

• Posted

Hi Sooosan. I had TKR last December and I still get some RLS - not only at night - I have decided if is because of the surgery and I remedy it with getting up and having a walk around (but I have no-one to distrub in doing this ha!) It's not every day no though, so I feel it may go aaycompletely but I used to have it occasionally before the surgery - so not sure... For want of something better I have taken a couple of Piriton before bed, which seem to relax me and better for me than any stronger drugs....I also use a pillow in bed to put between my knees or raise my leg and it helps....I still experience some pain - especially on stairs as can't do stairs in the normal way yet but it is a work in progress but painful and I suffer all the more for trying so hard but I am determined to do it - so I am still icing, elevating and exercising (but not alot) I am not pushing myself so hard that I can't then walk again for 2-3 days - so "softly softly catchee monkey" is my motto....good luck with your recovery and RLS....

• Posted

I'm almost 7 weeks post op and still elevate and ice my knee a couple times a day because of swelling and discomfort.  I never knew it would take so long to achieve mobility.  Expectations were way too high.  I too have pushed myself and paid terribly for a few days trying to recover.  Need to listen to my body more and stop trying to do so much.  Just feel guilty sometimes because everyone has had to do for me.  

• Posted

Hi. After 14 weeks I still have trouble sleeping in bed. I don’t think it is restless 

Leg syndrome, but part of the recovery. I hope time helps. 

New question. I’m going in for a knee manipulation after trying to avoid it. My left knee has not cooperated and in fact feels stiffer. What can I expect after the procedure- will it cause more pain?  

• Posted

Consider...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/unexplained-pain-606057

Remember, your nerves took a BIG HIT in the operation and the nerves are the last thing to heal.  I would really consider avoiding the nerve meds Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Lyrica.  The docs hand them out like Skittles and they have some big side effects for most people.  I gained 20 pounds on Gaba in 30 days!!!  Topical Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine or straight-up Lidocaine patches can help.  So can a $30 TENS unit at Walmart.  Just know that it's temporary. 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. Saw your before and after photo after your weight loss You look terrific. As someone said it’s good to put a face to a name. 
    • Posted

"Terrific" is not a word usually associated with age 70...but thanks.  All because of my nutritionist and certified personal trainer daughter.  She saved me from my former "Italian Meatball" state.  I was literally dying from the blood sugar levels, stress and more.  She watches out for me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.