Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +2 following
sophie 22873 sophie 22873

Weekly Yeast Infection!

For the past 2 months I have a vaginal thrush infection weekly! Driving me insane been to the doctors and was tested for yeast and Bv. They said it was just candida. I have one 'sore' it's a white lump on the side that won't go. The doc has given me weekly pessarys but they return. I am married and only have the one partner. I don't know what to do! Any advice welcome! 

1 Replies

• danR danR sophie 22873

Many people are not aware that Candida albicans is part of the normal flora of the mouth, gut, and the vagina. It occurs in different forms. The oval, unicellular type of candida is harmless. In the right conditions, candida can multiply and start to build hyphae that penetrate the skin and cause all the symptoms of a yeast infection. 

To treat an acute overgrowth of yeasts you will need an antifungal medication like the pessary that was prescribed to you. However, it is never possible to eradicate candida once for all.

Recurring yeast infections might indicate that your vaginal microflora is out of balance. In normal conditions, the pH of the vagina is slightly acidic thus inhibiting the uncontrolled growth of yeasts. 

To prevent an overgrowth of yeasts in the future it would be beneficial to eat probiotic soured milk products like yoghurt or even better homemade kefir. These contain live acid resistant Lactobacillus type bacteria that colonise the gut and eventually the vagina. It is best to eat a small quantity every day for many months. If you are milk intolerant you could try Lactobacillus capsules available at the pharmacy. 

Alternatively or even better additionally, you could ask your doctor or pharmacist for probiotic or prebiotic pessaries. Probiotic pessaries (for example Canesflor) contain live Lactobacillus bacteria while prebiotic pessaries typically contain lactic acid to reduce the pH of the vaginal environment.

On a side note: Some patients on this forum described soaking a tampon in yoghurt to transfer live Lactobacillus to their vagina. Maybe you could find more information on the net.

Short term, you could also consider having your partner apply topical antifungal in the form of a cream to prevent a possible reinfection during intercourse. 

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.