Looking into Calmare therapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I am wondering if anyone has tried Calmare therapy? I have only had CRPS for about 5 months but the pain is getting worse. I broke my distal radial bone and have a plate and 10 screws in there. Shortly after surgery began to have CRPS symptoms. The pain is no longer in my wrist but is in my shoulder joint area and my neck. It is a deep throbbing pain. Has anyone experienced joint pain with their CRPS? I heard about Calmare therapy on the internet and YouTube. They say they are getting pain relief with about 80 percent of the patients. The cost in California is about 3,000 dollars and you may need to go back and get booster treatments at 300.00 a session,but usually you only need one or two of these if you catch the pain early when and if it comes back. I want to try this as it is a not invasive treatment. It is like a very sophisticated tens unit which blocks the pain signals from your brain and replaces them with normal signals. Please let me know if anyone has tried this for their CRPS. Thank you in advance!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Debbie, I've tried 6 sessions of Calmare and did nothing to me. Not saying it won't work for you. Since you're at an early stage of CRPS I believe nerve blocks are your best bet. There's a much higher incidence of successful treatment the first few months of CRPS onset. But this is info that your pain management team should be telling you. Don't delay getting the right professional for you to work with.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. When you had the Calmare did you go to a place where they were approved with the correct training bto provide that service? How long have you had the CRPS? I think it is worth a try. Have you had a nerve block done? How long did it last for? I am scared to get it done as I would have to get it in my neck for my arm. If I do have it done I will definitely have IV sedation for it. Thanks again for your reply!

• Posted

Hi,

My husband is looking into getting a this ....Spinal Cord Stimulation and Neuromodulation which involves electrical signals and messages being sent to the brain. When the human body experiences pain, pain messages go out to the brain. With Neuromodulation, these same pain messages are modified. The newly modified message gives patients relief from the serious pain that they were feeling. Unbearable pain turns into a more comfortable sensation that no longer limits your functioning.

Neurostimulation and stimulation of the spinal cord are essentially the same process. The neurostimulator that is placed near the spine is controlled with a handheld programmer. The stimulator has the ability to work for different places in the body and at different strengths. Patients can completely control their pain treatment throughout the day depending on their level of activity or daily events.

Is this the same thing as the Calmare therapy?

• Posted

No this is not the same. Stimulator requires surgery and placing forgeign object inside the body. I would try calmare first before stimualator

• Posted

hi Debbie I would say GO FOR IT..... this along with strict diet to help CRPS willd certainly help you at such early stage. I wish I had of know about this.

NERVE blocks I think made my CRPS spread from one limb to full body and head.. I defo think they did...   I am saving up for calmare now after trying ketamine . ithink CRPS bloody hates medication in general. Get the right docyor to do it and go for it i say

• Posted

Yes, Calmare is non invasive! Have you already tried the Ketamine infusion therapy? If you have what was your experience? Hope the CRPS gets better for you. Stay strong and take care,! Thanks for your reply,! Have a great day!

• Posted

Hi, Calmare therapy is a non invasive treatment it is like a sophisticated ten unit where they put tens unit pads on you and interrupt the abnormal pain signals coming from the brain. You go in for 10 consecutive treatments which are 30 min to an hour. They say they can usually tell wether the treatment will work for you in the first 2 visits. In California the visits are about 300.00 dollars a session. I feel that this is a much safer and non invasive treatment than the spinal cord stimulator. They also say you may have to go back for booster treatments but usually if you catch the pain early you will only need to go back for two treatments the second time. There is a possibility that you may have to go back more than once for these booster treatments but the time soon between them us supposed to get longer and longer. Some people don't have to go back at all. I feel it us worth trying for the 3000.00 dollars. It us much safer than the spinal cord stimulator. If you want to know more go on YouTube and watch the videos on Calmare therapy. Thanks for you reply! Have a great day,!

• Posted

Thank you so much. My husband has tried 3 nerve blocks and 2/3 worked but only for 3 weeks. Then it was back to normal pain. He has a tens unit that he uses at home, he has tried Gabapentin but holy cow the side effects are horrible so he discontinued after many months of being on max dose. He is trying Lyrica now and was going twice a week to get acupuncture (which barley helped). His pain doctor recommended the spinal cord simulator. He is also going chiropractor weekly and getting realigned and this has help but only a small amount. I've never heard of this Calmare therapy. We live in Houston. I'll look into it. Thanks and good luck. 

• Posted

300,000 dollars!!  Come to Ireland. It’s around 2000 Euro.  A flight here and accommodation would be so much cheaper !! Say flight 700 eurro. Hotel 500.     
    • Posted

Oh no !! I am sorry It is only 3,000 dollars !! Made a big mistake !! I could never afford it if it was three hundred thousand dollars!! So sorry. Lol 😊

• Posted

Yes, I think it is definitely worth a try. I want to try it soon I have only had this CRPS for 5 months and it is already spreading so fast!! It started in my left wrist after I fell in the bathtub and broke it badly. I had surgery and the surgeon put a plate and 20 screws in it. It was soon after thisI started having the symptoms. I am also getting muscel spasms in my left call now and a needle like pain in my right elbow. This pain in my elbow started I thought from using my right arm so much after the surgery. Do you know if myscel spasms are a sign that it's spreading. Hope your husband can try the Calmare therapy. Have a great weekend!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up