Skip to content
in this discussion +1 following
alex49964 alex49964

Pain Mgmt Drug Test Question

I have been in pain management for chronic back pain for over a year. I go through the ESI shots mid and lower back, and am prescribed hydrocodone (norco) 7.5mg. I was prescribed Tramadol 50mg early on last year and was switched mid year I think it was. I still have some Tramadol left that i usually keep in our one car as an emergency in case I forgot to bring my other stuff.

I always “pass” my test each month and have a great relationship with my doc. I’m on an as needed basis so I can have confirmation or not usually and don’t have much concern. Last month I tested positive for my correct norco dose and have my next appointment for refill/drug test today.

Anyways, last night I was out and about and was starting to have some pain. I had an injection yesterday so that was somewhat expected but most of the day i felt good. 

In my rush to get out of the house I didn’t grab my current med. While I was out I was in need of some relief so I decided to grab one of my Tramadol. Not really even thinking at the time that I have a urine test at 3 today. This was about 7 last night. 

Afterwards I started thinking about if I will have issue with my test now. I just took the one pill and I’m thinking i will test negative for Tramadol if they are even testing for it. I usually get the Quest pain profile 7 test and after looking it does not say for opiates they look for that analyte for confirmation. 

Considering I was previously prescribed the medication should I be worried about this at all? I was considering just telling my doc the situation to avoid anything but if there isn’t a concern about the Tramadol showing up maybe it’s not worth it?

Any help or input is appreciate! Hopefully I get some replies today before my test. 

1 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.