Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +1 following
Guest Guest

I thought my fun young adult student lifestyle had to st...

I thought my fun young adult student lifestyle had to stop when the doctor told me that I had a hole in lung.

It all started while i was at work (kfc) in the worst possible situation, a saturday evening and incharge. I had uncomfortable pains in my upper back on the left hand side and within the space of half an hour it became unbearable. I ended up sitting in the office as one member of staff walked in and rang an ambulance for me.

Once in the hospital i really didnt think it would be any more than a little back pain, even when i had the x ray i thought they would just send me home with a paracetamal. This was when the doctor said that i had a hole in my lung and would need to stay over night. It was a big shock as at 19 i have never been to hospital before not even for a few stiches let alone one of my important organs failing on me. Fortunatly i didnt need to stay over night. I went and had an aspiration where they incert a needle with a large tube on it and siringe the air out. I am no fan of needles hence why there were six nurses, doctors and ward sisters in my cubical looking after me and a trainee doctor holding on to my hand. I had another x ray and it was in a condition where i was allowed to go home but to come back first thing in the morning. Problem was when i went back the following day my lung had collapsed again but i was dosed up on pain killers i didnt realise. the same procedure was apllied again, i was sent home and went back a few days later. there was still a hole but it was okay for me to go home. got transfered to a chest and heart clinic a week later where i saw my x ray and could already see that my lung had fully expanded and that the hole had healed itself. After six weeks of resting as i was told to do, i worry about going through it again. It does sound much worse than what it can be.

[i:15133a1879]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:15133a1879]

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.