My upper spine feels sore when I press on certain spots?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'd consider myself to be a fairly healthy, active 18 year old female. However, for the last 5 years or so, I've been experiencing upper back pain that only seems to have worsened. There are certain spots on my spine that feel incredibly sore if I press on them, and I seem to be very prone to getting terrible knots in the area where my shoulder meets my neck. It pops in a certain area on the left side of my upper spine whenever I take a deep breath. I played indoor volleyball for 8 years and sustained injuries from that, the most serious being a strained hip muscle, and damaged foot and knee ligaments from overuse. I no longer play however. I'm not overweight and don't have a history of heart problems. I also do not have the best posture, but whenever I try to correct my posture, I feel an annoying ache in my lower back on the right side. Personally, I believe there's some sort of muscle or ligament issue due to years of sports and bad posture, but the worst sore spots are directly on my spine and by my right (dominant) shoulder. I have asked my doctor and former physical therapist about it, but both said that its probably due to just bad posture. I don't have the money for anymore scans or therapy. This has been going on for years and is quite frankly beginning to ruin my life. Massages make it worse, pain medications have no effect anymore, and cold/heat packs provide only very temporary relief. What could this be, and what can I do?

0 likes, 1 reply

Report Reply

1 Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.