Skip to content
in this discussion +3 following
This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.
Why not start a new discussion?
adam36751 adam36751

What type of dermatisis?

A couple of years ago I suddenly had a patch of skin on my lower back which became quite red and flakes of skin would come away if I scratched it, although it wasn't itchy. The doctor said I had some kind of dermatisis, he used a specific name but I can't remember what he said. He said there was no cure but he could give me a steroid cream (Daktacort) to stop it flaring up.

Not long after taking Daktacort I had another patch on my foot which was quite similar. This patch unlike the other does itch and the skin gets very dry. The doctor said I should take daktacort for that and to use moisturiser on it as well. I've stopped taking Daktacort because I'm worried about side effects and it doesn't seem very effective anyway although I do put moisturiser on it regularly. He also told me the name for it was dermatisis simplex.

My first question is, what do I have specifically? I've looked up "dermatisis simplex" and it doesn't seem to look like what I have. Atopic dermatisis is the closest match to my symptoms although when I Google it almost all the results refer to infants or children, I read that it's very rare for adults to get it. But is this what I have or is it something else?

If it is atopic dermatisis, I also read that whilst there is no cure, children grow out of it. I'm not a child, but is it possible that I could grow out of it or do I have this for life?

The doctor said that Daktacort as well as being a mild steroid cream, also contains an anti-fungal agent. I'm sure he said something about a fungus infection. But then as far as I can see atopic dermatisis isn't a fungal infection, so why should I take anti-fungal? This is another thing that makes me wonder whether it's AD or something else. Should I take Daktarin (which I believe is the same as Daktacort without the steroid element) to help reduce any fungus?

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.