Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +2 following
chris2 chris2

Breathless after coughing

First just to say I am going to try and see my GP today but would welcome some thoughts. About a week ago I got my first cold in 15 years, Not flu imo but quite nasty with aches and pains and feeling wiped out. Now I am getting bouts of intense coughing. Sometimes it feels as if the air is gradually being knocked out my lungs till I am 'running on empty'. Usually I pick up straight away but last night I woke up in bed coughing then found I couldn't take in any air. I sat up in bed gasping for air for what seemed an eternity. I thought I was going to pass out.

I'm not someone who goes to the docs with a cold or even flu but this was terrifying. Does it ring any bells with anyone?   

1 Replies

• chris2 chris2

The GP gave me some antibiotics and ticked me off for not calling for help when it started but I wouldn't have been able to speak let alone get to the phone. Anyway after hunting around on discussion forums I believe it was an episode of laryngospasm. I've picked up some tips on what to do if it happens again. Never would be too soon.  

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.