My glans penis is very sensitive, pink and sometimes itchy. Is this fungal, or something worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello, 

Since I've noticed in the last few weeks, my glans penis, under my foreskin, appears extremely bright pink and oversensitive. 

I'm uncircumcized so usually  foreskin is covering it except to wash underneath it. But I've been looking in the last few weeks and got worried. 

Also sometimes, there is white discharge under the foreskin. 

There's also a red band around the bottom of the glans of the penis.  The glans is very shiny and sensitive to touch. 

I was researching online, and I think it is a fungal infection? But it could be something else. I've been looking at photos and not seeing many similar people. 

-

It's embarrassing, but I've added photos below.  Can you see the red band along the bottom of the glans? What does this indicate - does anyone know? 

The photo lighting makes it look less red and irritated than in real life. 

How should I treat this?  And can I apply antifungal cream in this area? 

Thanks, 

Jonathan 

1 like, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't understand your embarrassment, as any partner would be unlikely to notice or think you have any problem, and I think you are over-reacting. If any of us examines our skin closely in any area of the body we will find blemishes and marks that come and go (or not). There's no such thing as perfection in any human being. 

If you want to try anti-fungal cream as in the same treatment for athlete's foot (Daktarin or Canesten in UK), this should be safe. However, leaving nature to deal with these blemishes, using only plain water for cleaning and no soaps or products is usually what the experts advise, unless you are experiencing real pain or strong physical discomfort.

Report / Delete
    • Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for the message.  There are no blemishes, but the whole colour of the glans is bright pink.  

Do you think this is an indication of a fungal infection?  I know it's best to see a doctor but I can't for a while. 

Best,

Jonathan

Report / Delete
  • Posted

It could be a yeast infection. But honestly go see your GP before you start self medicating.  Like the other comment says our bodies have lots of blemishes that come and go. 

The white you said you sometimes have could be Smegma build up. Which can make the area itchy and sore if not cleaned properly.   But it’s just a build up of skin and oils.  So make sure you pull the skin back to clean under the area. Which I’m sure you do already 

All the best 

Report / Delete
    • Posted

Hi b30929,

Thanks I agree it's a good idea to see a doctor, although I can't for a while.   

I usually didn't pull back the foreskin, so that's why I was surprised when I did and saw it was so pink and oversensitive. 

It doesn't feel sore, but it's very sensitive. I also wonder why it's so much more red around the edge?

Best,

Jonathan

Report / Delete
    • Posted

This band along the edge of the glans is much more pink than the rest. I usually never pulled back the foreskin and didn't see this before. Could this be caused by the smegma build up? 

Report / Delete
    • Posted

To me it looks fine. I can’t see anything that looks out of the ordinary. So agree with pepasan.    But you have any concerns then see a GP. 
      Report / Delete
    • Posted

Thanks Papasan! I hope so. Because I haven't seen this colour on anyone else's photos. I might try to the antifungal in case.   And also ask on some other forums.  But hopefully you're right! 

When I checked today (just now) it seems even more pink. But fingers crosses it's nothing.  

Best,

Jonathan 

Report / Delete
    • Posted

Thanks that feels reassuring that people see it and think it looks normal. I haven't seen this pink colour of glans  on anyone else's pictures. But it is not sore, so I'm hoping it's not balanitis. It's very sensitive though, so that I have to cover it with the foreskin, and it would be painful to walk (as it rubs against the underwear) with the foreskin pulled back. 

When I checked today the colour of the band (ridge) has become more red and pink. But at the same time, it does not feel sore (just sensitive). I was going to ask on another forum in case. 

Report / Delete
  • Posted

Ok I've bought Nizoral today. It's a shampoo which has ketoconazole (an antifungal). 

I'll wash with it under the foreskin three times this week (it's supposed to be used on the scalp three times a week), and report back if the colour becomes more normal. 

Report / Delete
    • Posted

After using the Nizoral last night, it looks slightly less pink now (If this is not my imagination?). 

I'm going to buy a caneston cream today. 

Report / Delete
  • Posted

After one day on anti-fungal, still the same colour (noticeable relative to my hand). 
    Report / Delete
  • Posted

After using the anti-fungal, there is no sense of irritation. 

However, the colour still stayed the same. 

Report / Delete
    • Posted

Hi B30929,

Thanks for the message - that sounds re-assuring.  Have you seen this pink shiny colour of the glans before though?  I'm trying to track if it might change. 

I'm planning to book an appointment with a clinic as well, hopefully next week!

Report / Delete

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up