Goal-directed behaviour?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I've just had my first appointment with the clinical psychologist who will then decide who best to send me to next within the mental health team. I rambled on about so many things to her but something I didn't mention was goal directed activity, as I wasn't actually sure if any of what I experience counts as such. Can anyone relate to these examples?:

1) A number of years ago we were having a new kitchen and bathroom put in. I spent hours and hours (sometimes forgetting to eat or drink) each day for weeks looking and researching online everything from cookers, to cupboard doors to cupboard handles. I was intent on getting the absolute best price, best design, for the best price. I spent so long doing this I would make myself feel ill, from concentrating so hard, going back and forwards checking and rechecking on different sites, not moving out of my seat for hours one end.

I've realised I do this type of thing a lot. Trying to get the absolute perfect deal/gift/item of clothing or whatever. Even just researching stuff. I can get completely consumed and even be bursting for a pee but not move as I just need to check one more thing I've thought of!

2) A few years ago my husband suggested I get spotify. I did but instead of just bunging on some tunes I spent hours and hours again for days on end going through album after album after album after album (....) making sure I got the most 'perfect' list. (I didn't always listed to the entire song each time though!) Even songs I really like didn't make it because they didn't 'fit' whatever idea of perfect I had at that time. I really spent a ridiculous amount of time on this. I was initially really pleased with it once I was done, but the interest quickly faded and I ended up eventually getting rid of it altogether because I never used it!

Again, this type of behaviour has come out in other ways, such as making lists of paintings I like and becoming obsessed with an online art shop, wishlisting my perfect paintings. I've done this one on more that one occaision.

3) Deciding on a new topic to study or new hobby and buying all the relevant books or materials, and being really into it for a while, then just...not! I find this one to be particularly frustrating.

Does anyone else do something similar and are these the type of things that might be classed as goal-directed? So far I've only be diagnosed with anxiety and depression but anti-depressants (different classes) so far have not had the desired affect. I'm wondering if there might be more to my moods.

Any insight would be great, thanks

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You've just described me perfectly...

I have to research everything and make list after list. I find it almost impossible to make a decision on anything because I might have missed something and therefore make the wrong choice. Everything has to be perfect, I am terrified of making a mistake.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, it's fatiguing on the brain isn't it. Can I ask, are you like that all the time? If I think about it, I am probably like this to some extent the majority of the time, but the examples I gave were particularly intense periods. It's not always as extreme as that. Sometimes I can be quite quick to make a decision. Usually though it is a case of horrible procrastination! 

• Posted

When I was at work I had to multitask, that ended when they retired me and I started writing travel works. Then I was on various health Organisations to do with the National Health. Now I am sixty seven and last year they found my Short Term Memory was shot. So what did I do I took course in power boating and my Marine Radio Certificate. That saw me now more concerned that I cannot do the things with my brain that I used t do That was my last horray.

What I am saying is to be able to use the brain to a high level is a real gift, I have never felt that early intensity of use had not bothered me and I celebrated the fact I was able to to itemize and remember, was a gift I never knocked. Now I look at my self as a shadow of what I was, that upsets

Never put this gift down it is far to valuable, enjoy

BOB

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your troubles Bob. Well, thank you for trying to put a positive spin on things! I just wish I could put all that 'brainpower' to better use. It's wasted horribly on pointless things most of the time. And it never last long enough to really get me anywhere anyway. Perhaps next time I am making a pointless list I should force myself to pick up one of the many books/textbooks I have bought and never read. That seems like a good idea. I'll probably forget to do it though!

• Posted

Hedda

Try doing two things together. Even now I do not follow the normal pathway I seem to work out how far or where things are and I never follow a pathway most people would follow.

So when making lunch, I will be preparing a salad, buttering bread and making coffee in a disconnected fashion it drive my Wife mad as it seems everything is done out of canker. It is just a habit because when the lunch is made I will eat it and forget all about it. 

Try to learn to read two books together, read on for an hour then relax and then look at another one and see if yo remember both. I wish I could do that now I look at picture books on where I have been then next morning I forget what I was looking at.

Lists and schedules of work where my forte, when at work thirty years ago, do not knock it

Merry Christmas

BOB

• Posted

Yes..  I do that too.. second guessing myself and concentrating too hard on things..  I can only handle this for a few days then I burn out and crash-- sleeping alot..  This time of year I get like this about X-mas and then days after I'm exhausted.  Today I took a 3-hour nap because I've been busy with X-mas.   I have 'chaulked' it up to my age and then aniexty too.   I swim so that helps with my worries.   

• Posted

Hi Kelly, thanks for replying. Guh! Xmas! Do you think it's 'just' your anxiety that is driving you then? Apparently people with ADD can get like this. It's like these episodes take me over and at times I can get really agitated and irritable if someone interrupts me when I'm in the middle of it all. And after it's all over I'll look back and feel quite bewildered as to why I got so obsessed! Maybe it's like an OCD thing? Sometimes when it's like that I think the house could burn down around me and I wouldn't notice! I've certainly burned a few dinners in the oven rolleyes

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up