Skip to content
in this discussion +1 following Follow this discussion

I had a lipoma on the back of my neck from around 2001 w...

I had a lipoma on the back of my neck from around 2001 when it was very tiny, and finally in 2004/5 I decided it was too noticeable and unsightly so I went to see a doctor.

I occasionally get contact dermatitis from cheap nickel based jewllery, and during 1999 I got a nasty patch on my neck resulting from wearing a cheap necklace to a foam party at the student union!!! The dermatitis didn't heal up very fast because it was in a place where it was rubbed and got sweaty, so I used some eczema cream we had at home, a cream called Betnovate containing steroids.

The cream worked and helped the patch on my neck to heal, and I have never since had a severe flare up. However when the lipoma began to swell I was curious to find out if the steroid cream (steroids encourage cell growth right??) had been a contributing factor.

I am now 27yrs old, about 5,7", average build, diabetic and I guess my weight does fluctuate between 11.5stone and 12.5 stone depending ont he seasons:D but I'm not fat by any means.

Anyhow, I went to see a doctor about my neck lump while it was reasonably small, after a small amount of research, and I was understandably worried about cancers. The doctor prodded me and with utter contempt told me it was nothing more than a fatty lump, and not to worry. I left the surgery feeling humiliated and embarrassed.

As the lipoma grew, slowly at first then seemingly faster, I began to notice it more and more. Even though I have long hair it would be more noticeable if I bent my head forward or turned my neck and during lectures and things like that I would bgecome more and more paranoid that people could see it. Especially as I was quite proud of the shape of my neck and shoulders, as a sexy feature of me!

In early 2004 I went back to the doctor who immediately suggested I should have it removed especially as I described the discomfort it was causing. The lump itself did not hurt, but the skin over it felt tight and I could feel the mobility of my neck being reduced so that I would constantly sleep with my head on one side, or try not to bend my neck to the left, but turn my whole body instead.

I was very impressed by the time it took the NHS to get things sorted. I saw a doctor for a consult, he then booked me for an ultrasound.

The lipoma was about 2-5cm in diameter and apparently infiltrating into the muscle tissue of my neck which would make it more difficult to remove. It was another couple of months until I finally went into a local hospital as an out-patient for a removal under local anaesthetic.

I am particularly resistant to anaesthetic (discovered after a terrifying trip to the dentist for wisdom teeth removal!) so I asked for that to be taken into account. The operation took about 30minutes in all, but at one point I was in awful pain and they had to administer extra drugs to get the lipoma out. The surgeon had told me prior that I should have really had a general but because of the placement of the lipoma on the back of my neck it would have been incredibly difficult for the anaesthesiologist to monitor my condition.

I had four stitches, and some numbness for about 6 months. I was hoping that as the lipoma was extracted from such a prominent place they would have used finer stitches or taken a little more care with the scar. It's not horrific to look at, I just feel it could have been tidier.

However, in the last two months I have notcied the lipoma seems to be recurring in the same spot just slightly lower down and feels more solid and rounded before. I am suprised it seems to have recurred so much faster this time, as if a piece was missed last time, and that if I go for a second removal I would get a second scar.

I deally I would like to be put under a general and have the surgeon open me up properly to have a really good rummage and clean ou of this area to cut the chances of it recurring again. I'm not a vain person in the slightest but this lump is already causing me the same discomfort, a sort of tightness and causes me to favour my right neck muscles. I don't want to develop a crooked neck or a stoop ior something from this, I would be fine with a scar if only I could eascape from this nagging feeling that everyone can see my lump and that I can't wear revealing tops without jewellery or a scarf.

I can invent exciting stories for a scar, but a lump is just unsightly and destroys my self-esteem.

Any similar recurrences or issues related to steroids and lipoma appearance as te doctors seem totally unwilling to listen to my concerns on that one.

[i:0a2b9eb372]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0a2b9eb372]

Report this

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.