Light brown spot underneath toe nail?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Recently I noticed two light brown spots underneath my toenail. I know melanoma can appear as a stripe, but I can't find anything online about new freckles or marks. I'm pretty sure it's not a hematoma or blood either because it's a very light brown. I tried to scratch it off but couldn't, which means it's likely underneath my nail. I also considered fungus, but it doesn't resemble any fungus I've read about, nor does my nail look damaged or white/yellow.

Also: don't mind my nail looking torn off. I did a very bad job cutting my nails in the dim light. My toe/nails do not normally look that ragged.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Melanoma can show as a stripe or it can be a spot.   Yours is probably either a mark from a trauma...have you dropped anything on your toe?,or is fungal. If it is fungal it will start to spread,but if a trauma injury it will gradually fade.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I haven't dropped anything on my foot not do I remeber any trauma, though it would be possible since it's so small it probably wouldn't have hurt. I also considered fungus but pictures of that usually show a damaged toe with yellowing. I did buy some fungual stuff just in case and have used it a few times with no change. If it is an injury, how long do you think it would take to fade?

• Posted

If it is trauma ie a tiny bruise under the nail,it will grow out as your nail grows and wont get darker or get bigger

If it is fungal then you have to be very efficient with any treatment you buy and use it exactly as the instructions say. The yellowing and crumbling doesnt always appear until later. You may have to use several different fungal preparations before you get any sign of clearing......its a slow business and the fungus can easily spread to the other nails.  Make sure you buy new socks and tights,if you wear them.

If the spot darkens or spreads with no yellowing or crumbling then you must see a doctor.

• Posted

Hi Kaitlin, just wondering how you got on with this? I have similar appeared on my thumb just looks like a freckle not a stripe or anything but not sure what it is, i've got appointment next week to get it checked out just to be safe but just wondered how you got on with yours? Hope all ok, Thanks Cheryl

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up